I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggestions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • demonllama6124
    im your grandpa!!!
    • Mar 2004
    • 1440

    #16
    Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

    Originally posted by rzr
    Naw, ridiculous was Izzy back in that spon con. Where he got something like 1,111,111,110 I think it was. THAT was ridiculous, lol.
    all he did was whore VROFL. he would mash the beginning and then fail out, autohotkey to restart quicker and mash mash mash.
    Originally posted by nestlekwik
    Blue is my favorite color. Thus, anyone in the chat with a blue name is super awesome and deserves to have Chinese food.
    Originally posted by welsh_girl
    OP, WTFBrandon & demonllama6124

    Only Men here with Manly Man hairy legs.
    Originally posted by Velocity
    leonid, please shut the fuck up before I make you.
    Help decide which game I should play next. Trying to beat all my games
    http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...47#post4489647

    Comment

    • FallenXxRaven
      FFR Player
      • Apr 2007
      • 380

      #17
      Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

      You could also try playing songs that are just a little too hard for you. Like if youre on Very Easy try an Easy or Standard. Thats what i used to do, now i can combo on some challengings and VCs. When i started I couldnt even pass free space. xD
      Chris Huntress 1:37 pm
      I aaa'd vROFL
      without any lube

      Comment

      • MelodyOfOblivion99
        FFR Player
        • Feb 2009
        • 173

        #18
        Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

        Lol... Maybe I'll just do that. =D If some UBER-amazing random player just comes out of nowhere and beasts and AAA's every song on ffr one day, you'll know who it is =DDD
        Originally posted by RobertsonaIsBack
        i would beat off his dick into my face and wipe it on a dog and ride the dog into the sunset

        Comment

        • TC_Halogen
          Rhythm game specialist.
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Music Producer
          • Feb 2008
          • 19376

          #19
          Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

          My suggestions to someone who is playing and can't seem to find a way to get better:

          - Find what your weakness is. Are you good at streams, but bad at jumps? Maybe rhythms aren't your thing. There's always a song that can bring you those problems, and you should practice them.

          - Have patience, trying to master a song that you aren't good at can be frustrating, but it becomes worthwhile when you see a more difficult song that presents the same problem become easier to you.

          - If you aren't using speed mods, now might be a good time to consider them. Speed mods space out the chart more so that you can read denser patterns, at the cost of a bit of reaction time. If you don't know how to do this, go to Settings in game, and then change your speed mod; I suggest playing a song you are good at, and moving the speed mod over one notch to the right until you find your desired speed.

          - Replays are your friend. If you can't seem to figure out the pattern that you are trying so desperately to get, you may be able to look at the pattern and figure out how to do it from there. Some patterns that look extremely difficult can become very easy if you simply find a comfortable way to do it on your own.

          - Lastly, strive for something that is out of reach. You're not going to get any better by going after something within your skill level. Push for what you want while not making it an easy thing to do.

          That's my bit, hopefully you take some of it to heart. =)

          Comment

          • pishtako
            FFR Veteran
            • Jan 2009
            • 13

            #20
            Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

            Well, at least have a strategy

            I play for fun

            =)

            Comment

            • Zybanthia
              FFR Player
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Dec 2008
              • 809

              #21
              Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

              Originally posted by SCWolf
              What you want to do is go unknown for like 2 years, become super awesome pro, and come out of nowhere and rape all the scores on FFR so everyone's like OMG who is this guy he's a hacker.
              Yes that's exactly what you want to do.

              Comment

              • lumphoboextreme
                FFR Veteran
                • Jan 2005
                • 8592

                #22
                Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                take it from someone who used to play a lot, it really isn't worth it, over a half an hour to an hour a day and it's useless... practice spread and you'll get better

                Comment

                • supersonicpwns
                  FFR Player
                  • May 2008
                  • 216

                  #23
                  Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                  practice different strategies to playing FFR. or play stepmania.
                  Originally posted by iCyAJ
                  Haiku's are easy
                  But sometimes they don't make sense
                  Refrigerator
                  rawr.

                  Comment

                  • passivegirl
                    FFR Player
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 93

                    #24
                    Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                    Originally posted by Zybanthia
                    Yes that's exactly what you want to do.
                    Had to log in to notify you of your awesomeness.
                    Member for under a year and already over 400 AAAs! Yay for FFR ^_^

                    Comment

                    • Kage06
                      FFR Player
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 90

                      #25
                      Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                      Heh

                      How do you play though? One handed, 2 handed? Where on the keys do you play?

                      I started off one handed playing Stepmania on arrows (FFR didn't even exist for me at least at this point), and then I went to 2 since I couldn't FC a few songs, and switching helped, but in switching, I lost the accuracy I had practised one handed, but in time, I got just as good, and could at least FC the songs I couldn't before.

                      I'm still 2 handed on arrows, and have tried spread a few times, and after a lot of practise (it does take a lot more thinking time to start off using it though, as its completly different), you do get used to it, but I can see it taking longer to learn than using arrows effectively.

                      But, one thing that I must stress is, how good are you to begin with? You could be great, and can't get better than you are, as I know a lot of people on here stress they aren't good (kind of ironic), because they then play you, and even though you thought you were, okay, at it, they come along and steal your level from under you

                      Go on single player for a while, and first of all, start at a level you are comfortable with.
                      Now, go to the Options, and mess with speed mods. If you are only running at 1x, that is probably your problem. Try 1.25, 1.5 (what I use), and if you are godly (it takes getting used to), 1.75, and even 2x and 3x (how the heck people use that, I don't know)

                      I must also mention, that to get better, you have to push yourself. This may mean playing songs 1 or even 2 levels more that you are capable of at the moment, getting a feel for how fast your fingers have to move to the rhythm. You'll most likely find this very hard at first, but you'll soon pick up little finger movements that'll allow you to get better at these harder levels.
                      Then, you'll find yourself going back to the levels you played previously, and will find yourself thinking, "these are easy now", trust me.

                      Conclusion:

                      So yeah, first step, if you are using 1 hand, and are having difficulties (I know a few of you here are gods at one handed, but everyones different), switch to 2 (practise makes perfect, but it can prove harder than using only 1 at first), and if you are using 2, try Spread (choosing maybe df, and jk for example, and again, the jump in difficulty is hard, and you may find yourself having to go back to level 2-3's at first), and practise for a while with that.

                      Second, find a speed mod your comfortable with. I never use 1x.

                      Third, and actually, I don't see why I didn't mention this before, in your browser, find a way to increase the zoom on the page, which will also increase the size of the flash player (I find half way filling my screen is fine), and this also allows you to see arrows in a sense, slower than they were coming up before, as they are filling up more pixel space.

                      You'll also find, if you can't read 2x (or heck, 3x), that increasing finger useage, be it, 1 hand, 2 hand, 2 fingers, 3 fingers, 4 fingers, that once you get the hang of positioning, and what finger needs to press what, your brain will find it easier to read faster speeds.
                      The biggest jump in speed mod useage will come when switching to spread, because, at least in my experience, I can read at 1.75 a lot better, and even 2x (sometimes) when in spread, that I can't when using 2 hands

                      Anyway, I hope these guidelines at least help, and infact, I haven't wasted a minute or 2 minutes of your time
                      Last edited by Kage06; 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM.

                      Comment

                      • x After Dawn x
                        FFR Veteran
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 1613

                        #26
                        Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                        Well first of all, you don't get good overnight. And second of all, you should probably get a life if you play hours of FFR every day...
                        Originally posted by Djr Rap dancer
                        Alcohol make peoples retard.
                        Drink for forget you are retard and this bring you more retard.
                        Just take nicotine patch lol

                        Comment

                        • who_cares973
                          FFR Player
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 15407

                          #27
                          Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                          not sure if this has been mentioned. im too lazy to go back a page

                          but just masturbate


                          alot

                          Comment

                          • pieman19
                            FFR Player
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 28

                            #28
                            Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                            like anything in life,you cant be be a master at something over night, it takes practice, more practice, and even more practice,just start out small, once you master the easy songs switch to the harder ones
                            you should practice songs in every music category, you could master the rock songs because you know the basic tempo of them, but fall flat on your face on another
                            try playing multiplayer, its easyer to learn when you play against other people, even if some of them act like idiots =P
                            try changing the arrow postion, such as diaginole, or sideways, it can really test your skill
                            hmm thats all i can think of good luck i guess

                            Comment

                            • CrunkaMOFUKKalicious
                              FFR Player
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 68

                              #29
                              Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                              Originally posted by who_cares973
                              not sure if this has been mentioned. im too lazy to go back a page

                              but just masturbate


                              alot
                              I lol'd
                              Originally posted by Onilink
                              Negative bpm is for retards.

                              Comment

                              • Iapyx
                                10 Year Veteran
                                • Aug 2008
                                • 74

                                #30
                                Re: I play for hours a day but I just don't seem to be getting any better... Suggesti

                                My answer is very simple, and probably summarizes a lot of what has been said. Play spread, make sure your arms and wrists are in a comfortable position, try drinking two cups of coffee an hour or so before playing. Play the difficulty above what you would call "fun". Try playing as many streams as you can, which are songs that are just red-yellow-blue-yellow note combinations that never seem to end. If that's too fast, try something more like Breaking the Common. Play songs you haven't played. Some people think Stepmania is great, but my computer doesn't run it as cleanly as I'd like, plus it's a hassle to wade through songpacks for the right music. I've played on and off for about five years. When I came back in August, I thought I was awesome for FCing Mercury Lamp. I've played over 6,000 games since then, and I've FC'd a large portion of the songs in the game, and I'm working on AAAs now. Do that too, try AAAing songs that are much easier than you normally play. I find it helps improve your ability on the harder songs.

                                Comment

                                Working...