The legalisation of marijuana

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bynary Fission
    Retired One-Hander
    • Jan 2008
    • 2437

    #16
    Re: The legalisation of marijuana

    Frankly, marijuana should be legalized, as it once was. Pot used to be used for many necessities in life, such as paper and textiles. In fact, one of acre of marijuana would save 4 1/2 acres of trees. The reason it became illegal is because people like Randolph Hearst vilified marijuana with claims that were, for the most part, false. (He owned a very large tree farm, and because hemp was cheaper than wood, he risked losing a lot of money). Only then did it become illegal.

    Yes, pot can be more destructive than regular cigarettes. Yes, it is nasty, and making it legal could benefit stoners and pot smokers. But personally, I believe the benefits far outweigh the cons. Hemp is environmentally friendly, and some of what was produced from it, like paper, is superior to what is made today. Marijuana is a drug. But people who smoke it deliberately use it for the wrong reasons. In the past, hemp was smoked little, and mostly used for other purposes. Perhaps, if Congress and the American public were made to realize the benefits legalizing it would have, then perhaps it would provide a reason to once again legalize it.

    Considering that over 50,000,000 people in America alone have smoked pot at least once in their lives, and I'll bet that at least 5 million of them use it at least once a week, what's legalizing pot going to do that's bad anyways? Millions just smoke it anyways. It's not like ten million people are going to decide to become stoners on a whim when it's legalized. Frankly, I believe it won't do anything but good should it be legalized.

    Read these:

    Telling Teenagers the truth about Marijuana. Pot is almost harmless. Telling the truth about Pot will help teens avoid dangerous drugs.




    ~Bynary Fission
    Last edited by Bynary Fission; 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM. Reason: Put in a third link that I forgot to add.
    Newest Track (05/04/2026): Battle Theme - The Infernal Sepulchre [8-bit Chiptune]

    https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/zone-4-battle-theme

    Comment

    • bender5
      The 40% Iron Chef
      • Jan 2005
      • 4894

      #17
      Re: The legalisation of marijuana

      I actually am surprised at the amount of people have really good points. At this point I'm not going to comment on anything much more. However, I do need to ask who changed the name of my thread and misspelled legalization.

      Comment

      • devonin
        Very Grave Indeed
        Community Manager
        Event Staff
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Apr 2004
        • 10120

        #18
        Re: The legalisation of marijuana

        Misspelled? I'm pretty sure that Canadian/British english is just as correct as American english. I edited the title to be more reflective of the contents of the thread. If it really galls you that I used a non-american spelling to do so, I can change it to -ize for you.

        Comment

        • atalkingcow
          FFR Player
          • Jun 2007
          • 166

          #19
          Re: The legalisation of marijuana

          Originally posted by bender5
          I actually am surprised at the amount of people have really good points. At this point I'm not going to comment on anything much more. However, I do need to ask who changed the name of my thread and misspelled legalization.
          Umm...Probably devonin, because in canada and most of europe..it would be spelled with an "s", so...from his point of view, your spelling PHAYLS!
          Originally posted by aTalkingCow;
          Do you have any idea how hard it is to type up a course on a tiny ass netbook?
          Originally posted by Obama;
          Jackass
          Originally posted by Tex :)
          I'm setting up camp in my closet (it's suprisingly comfy in there!).

          Comment

          • bender5
            The 40% Iron Chef
            • Jan 2005
            • 4894

            #20
            Re: The legalisation of marijuana

            No it's quite alright. I've never seen it spelled that way, and I never thought that you spelled it as you saw fit. I'm sorry for questioning your reason.

            As for the topic at hand. I find it kind of funny how much more amazing and sensible legalization sounds as you are smoking. I did find myself getting all philosophical in my euphoric state. However, this lead me to look into comparing the laws that could be here to the laws that are in Amsterdam.

            If we were to have "Cafes" like in Amsterdam it would be an open place to enjoy marijuana, and you could card like people currently do in bars. It would pretty much be a club for smoking. This would be the only Legal place for public Marijuana smoking, but that doesn't mean that smoking on privately owned property couldn't be open to the public for smoking grounds. Basically this would enforce a keep weed of the streets kind of thing. Public intoxication/smoking in public would be comparable to drinking in public. All in all it would be more of a if we don't see it, it isn't there kind of tactic approach.

            So adding this to licensed sellers, an age restriction, and governmental regulation; I'd say we have ourselves an outlook that looks extremely reasonable on paper. However, something that the people of the era we live in now probably won't see in our lifetimes. Maybe one day someone will realize that it does happen to be just a plant. Yet, until that things won't change.

            Comment

            Working...