Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • darkshark
    Nothing.
    • Nov 2004
    • 4189

    #31
    Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

    Originally posted by ninjaKIWI
    Touchscreens may be fine for mobile stuff like cell phones and the such, but I'm talking PC monitors.
    Not a Gimmick.

    http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux.php

    And yes it's worth the price. It explodes your productivity and work pace. This is for artists...now think about the medical field, nearly all of their computers are touch screen, or think about last night when you went to the drive through at Taco Bell, all of their inside computers are touchscreen. Efficiency is everything.

    Simply because YOU have no use for it (yet) doesn't mean it's useless.

    Comment

    • MrGiggles
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2005
      • 2846

      #32
      Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

      Originally posted by Afrobean
      No. Why would I be glad when other people are wrong?

      ps good video about hertz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ur9IF5OmU
      I'm joking, btw

      ps touch screens are awful on everything except my DS. I hate iPhones, I hate androids without keyboards, and I hate my iPod touch

      pps actually they're nice on restaurant comps, much easier than a keyboard to fill out orders

      ppps and tablets

      okay so they're nice on everything except phones

      Comment

      • ninjaKIWI
        plain old ugly ass dumbas
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Aug 2006
        • 3307

        #33
        Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

        Originally posted by darkshark
        Not a Gimmick.

        http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux.php

        And yes it's worth the price. It explodes your productivity and work pace. This is for artists...now think about the medical field, nearly all of their computers are touch screen, or think about last night when you went to the drive through at Taco Bell, all of their inside computers are touchscreen. Efficiency is everything.

        Simply because YOU have no use for it (yet) doesn't mean it's useless.
        I guess you're right. I hate to fold so easily, but I guess I need to be more open minded.
        Originally posted by Jewpinthethird
        "Hey Keywii" Said Foil in a raspy voice.
        "Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
        "Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
        "That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
        "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
        "Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.

        Comment

        • Nyokou
          ( ̄ー ̄)
          • Apr 2005
          • 4247

          #34
          Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

          -ignores drama-

          I suggest a Vizio TV. My dad has bought 3 so far, all with really great quality. 40"+ we have in the living room has lasted for 2+ years so far without any problems at all. I have my PS3 hooked up to it, and it looks amazing. Others are 30"+ in my bro's and parents' room and they both cost under $800, and are great for a bedroom imo.
          Snapchat: icequeenilse

          Comment

          • Afrobean
            Admiral in the Red Army
            • Dec 2003
            • 13262

            #35
            Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

            Originally posted by Nyokou
            -ignores drama-

            I suggest a Vizio TV. My dad has bought 3 so far, all with really great quality. 40"+ we have in the living room has lasted for 2+ years so far without any problems at all. I have my PS3 hooked up to it, and it looks amazing. Others are 30"+ in my bro's and parents' room and they both cost under $800, and are great for a bedroom imo.
            For "under 800" you should have 40+ inches, ESPECIALLY from a "namebrand" like Vizio.

            Anyway, 2 years is nothing for a TV to live. You can't really say a TV is good because it lasts 2 years. Vizio isn't that bad, but it's far from the best. They're generally less expensive, and sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

            Comment

            • Nyokou
              ( ̄ー ̄)
              • Apr 2005
              • 4247

              #36
              Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

              40"+ we have was more than $1000 2 years ago. Price HAS dropped by now most likely.

              Dad didn't feel the need to buy anything that big for my bro's or his own room, so whatev. Before Vizio we didn't have any HD flat screens so that's all I can recommend lol. From what I've heard people get flat screens as big as the one in our living room and they don't last past a year and a half for some reason. Maybe overuse?

              I can't really say which ones are the "best" but I'll definitely consider other brands once my bf and I go shopping for a new TV next year.
              Snapchat: icequeenilse

              Comment

              • darkshark
                Nothing.
                • Nov 2004
                • 4189

                #37
                Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

                I have to design TV mounting systems to be implemented into entertainment stands at the company I work for, so we get a crapload of different TV's shipped in and out of here on a regular basis, and we test out all of them.

                From what I've seen, Samsung's TV's are generally much sharper and have great contrast, and are really fluid and smooth, especially their LED line-up, the next best is Sony. Vizio TV's that we've tested kinda have whacked out contrast issues, where the dark areas are TOO dark, and it's not just the settings. Vizio is just pretty average imo.

                We don't get to test a whole lot of 3D TV's though, so I can't give much of an opinion on those.

                Comment

                • MrGiggles
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 2846

                  #38
                  Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

                  While, I'm at it, I bought a 650$ Vizio, 47". It has these horizontal dark stripes across the middle, two of them, at approx 4/10 and 6/10 of the way up the screen. It looks like the backlight is faulty, or sucks, or idfk. Is this pretty standard for vizio? Is there a fix or should I send it in? 1 Year warranty still active, have the receipt, etc.

                  It's usually only irritating when displaying a mostly solid screen but certain games just seem to exaggerate the effect. SM64, for one.

                  Comment

                  • who_cares973
                    FFR Player
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 15407

                    #39
                    Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

                    my friend and his family collectively have like 14 vizio tvs and none of them have given them problems. so from personal experience its rare

                    Comment

                    • jump_the_bullet
                      Oh you fancy, huh?
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 912

                      #40
                      Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

                      thanks guys for the help. after reading everyone's posts and doing a little research i have more knowledge on the situation. we're probably gonna wait till black friday to get one.

                      anyone know if Zenith is a good brand for HDTV's?

                      Comment

                      • Nyokou
                        ( ̄ー ̄)
                        • Apr 2005
                        • 4247

                        #41
                        Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

                        Originally posted by MrGiggles
                        While, I'm at it, I bought a 650$ Vizio, 47". It has these horizontal dark stripes across the middle, two of them, at approx 4/10 and 6/10 of the way up the screen. It looks like the backlight is faulty, or sucks, or idfk. Is this pretty standard for vizio? Is there a fix or should I send it in? 1 Year warranty still active, have the receipt, etc.

                        It's usually only irritating when displaying a mostly solid screen but certain games just seem to exaggerate the effect. SM64, for one.
                        No. You should get it checked out. Nothing like that has happened to me while playing games on my dad's Vizio(s). Sucks though, that's pretty unlucky but at least you still have the warranty.
                        Snapchat: icequeenilse

                        Comment

                        • Afrobean
                          Admiral in the Red Army
                          • Dec 2003
                          • 13262

                          #42
                          Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

                          Originally posted by jump_the_bullet
                          anyone know if Zenith is a good brand for HDTV's?


                          "Zenith is not a bad brand, they are part of the LG Electronics group."

                          I got to that by Googling "Is Zenith a good brand for HDTVs".

                          LG is a major company, so getting a Zenith is probably like paying Vizio-type prices on a name-brand quality piece of hardware. That said, LG doesn't exactly have the best reputation either.

                          Altogether, it's probably not too bad. If you're aiming for the highest quality, you'd want something like Panasonic, but you'd be paying for it too.

                          Try looking around on Google. You'll probably be able to find forums where every one of the regulars is more familiar with this stuff than I am.

                          Comment

                          Working...