Buying a new compy, need second opinions on parts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • g4z33b0
    Banned
    • Mar 2006
    • 2618

    #16
    Re: Buying a new compy, need second opinions on parts

    Nice, you definitley should buy It's my friends ebay account so just make sure you don’t message him like “hey gazeebo” cause he’ll be like wtf :P

    Comment

    • All_That_Chaz
      Supreme Dictator For Life
      • Apr 2004
      • 5874

      #17
      Re: Buying a new compy, need second opinions on parts

      Update: I've more or less abandoned Alienware for now in favor of Dell due to the same parts costing four figures less. I have two models that I want to compare. They're basically the same. I'm comparing the XPS 410 and 710. The only glaring differences is the power supply and motherboard. The 410 carries a comparatively puny 375W, which may be problematic. This is compared against the 710's 750W, which I can even upgrade to a kilowatt for $100 if I'm so inclined. Another note is that I'm starting to doubt that I'd ever need the super-powered nvidia geforce 768mb 8800 gtx, so I dropped it in favor of a less pricey but still very capable 256mb 8600 gts. Most everything I've read says any 8x00 is awesome, but only the 8800 supports cuda, which i'm fine with.

      Specs:
      Identical parts:
      Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz 4mb shared L2 cache
      OS: Vista Premium
      Memory: 4gb (the dell's memory isn't as badass performance wise 667mhz < 800mhz of alienware, but it's still 4gbs)
      Hard Drive: 250gb serial ata
      Video Card: 256mb nvidia geforce 8600 gts
      Physics Card: Ageia PhysX
      Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic
      Monitor: 20" ultrasharp
      what the 710 has that the 410 doesn't
      Power Supply: 750w > 375w
      Motherboard: 7-slot, BTX design motherboard > Dell P965 BTX motherboard
      (the 410 motherboard is designed for dells. it strips me of overclocking and hinders advanced bios stuff, which i probably wouldn't ever do, but i wouldn't even have the option on a 410. i don't think the 410 one supports sli either, which would be lame if i decide to get another 8600gts in the future.)
      Cooling: Tower Six-heat pipe, Copper base Heat Sink with aluminum fans and Two 120mm x 38mm front fans > standard garbage dell cooling.
      Chassis: 2.5mm aluminum thickness > standard dell plastic

      final price
      410: $2632
      710: $3230

      so I'm just curious if that last $598 is worth those differences. im mainly worried about the power supply and the motherboard. meh, all opinions are appreciated.
      Back to "Back to Earth"
      Originally posted by FoJaR
      dammit chaz
      Originally posted by FoJaR
      god dammit chaz
      Originally posted by MalReynolds
      I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.

      Comment

      Working...