In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tasselfoot
    Retired BOSS
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Jul 2003
    • 25185

    #16
    RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

    Afro: You clearly didn't read the article... something is wrong with the nerves in his eye due to a disease at birth... he can't see AT ALL. It has nothing to do with his eyesight going downhill over time, which is what usually happens with people who are legally blind yet can still see (read: my mother, before getting Lasik).

    Also... I'd imagine this guy is AMAZINGLY good... the article didn't make him out to be just good or very good... but practically unbeatable. THAT is a feat of its own, even if you can see.

    Show some props. You know he'd destroy your ass. Oh yea... it wasn't just simple fighting games like MK... it was SC2 also, which has a TON of intricate combos.
    RIP

    Comment

    • scorpio1690
      FFR Player
      • Apr 2003
      • 4817

      #17
      RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

      I'd like to see him play an FPS

      Comment

      • ToshX
        FFR Player
        • Feb 2004
        • 5111

        #18
        RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

        More like an RPG.

        Comment

        • Afrobean
          Admiral in the Red Army
          • Dec 2003
          • 13262

          #19
          RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

          Guys, I did read it. I only commented on the legally blind thing because someone else mentioned it or something.

          Comment

          • scorpio1690
            FFR Player
            • Apr 2003
            • 4817

            #20
            Re: RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

            Originally posted by Tasselfoot
            Oh yea... it wasn't just simple fighting games like MK... it was SC2 also, which has a TON of intricate combos.
            ...Unplug his controller

            Comment

            • Tonberry_Kid
              FFR Player
              • May 2005
              • 3408

              #21
              Re: RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

              Originally posted by scorpio1690
              Originally posted by Tasselfoot
              Oh yea... it wasn't just simple fighting games like MK... it was SC2 also, which has a TON of intricate combos.
              ...Unplug his controller
              Roflmao. That's funny. Yet mean all at the same time X3.
              UNLEASH THE DRAGON
              Originally posted by mead1
              My method of making love is quite different than you might expect. I prefer to find a girl taking a nap at the local preschool, and then make love to them as they scream in my large, sound-proofed, white van. I then make love on their face, and throw them in an ice-chest of bleach. For pillow talk, I usually say, "Your parents can't hear you," and keep their teddy bear as a momento. You could call me a hopeless romantic, I guess.

              Comment

              • Tonberry_Kid
                FFR Player
                • May 2005
                • 3408

                #22
                Re: RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

                Those bold enough to challenge him weren't so lucky. One by one, while playing "Soul Caliber 2," their video characters were decapitated, eviscerated and gutted without mercy by Mellen's on-screen alter ego.
                Rofl. There isn't gore in SC2. What noobs. =\
                UNLEASH THE DRAGON
                Originally posted by mead1
                My method of making love is quite different than you might expect. I prefer to find a girl taking a nap at the local preschool, and then make love to them as they scream in my large, sound-proofed, white van. I then make love on their face, and throw them in an ice-chest of bleach. For pillow talk, I usually say, "Your parents can't hear you," and keep their teddy bear as a momento. You could call me a hopeless romantic, I guess.

                Comment

                • esupin
                  FFR Player
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 1756

                  #23
                  RE: Re: RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

                  I heard this story on NPR. Those guys report everything.

                  http://www.youtube.com/esupin

                  Comment

                  • MalReynolds
                    CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
                    • Sep 2003
                    • 6571

                    #24
                    RE: Re: RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

                    BritishBMX should take note on this: Posting a news story that we care about! And commenting on it in the same post, not just pasting the article.

                    I would really like to play against him, though, because I'm not very good and it would be totally sweet to train under a blind guru... He'd be all like "Mmmm... You must first learn to play with blindfold on, then you will truly be.... Blind... Folded."

                    I would kick ass eventually.

                    Mal
                    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

                    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


                    My new novel:

                    Maledictions: The Offering.

                    Now in Paperback!

                    Comment

                    • dAnceguy117
                      new hand moves = dab
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 10103

                      #25
                      RE: Re: RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

                      I think it's amazing what he's accomplished, and I would like to assume everything the article says is completely true.. but I really can't. There's an SCII machine at the arcade by me, and it's constantly played. There are some insanely good people at it that go to the arcade a lot. I don't happen to be one of them.. but I've gotten decent enough to know that just about everything in the game is based on reflexes to things you see.

                      One of the most important things for a very skilled player to master is a move called Guard Impact. You tap the joystick / analog stick / whatever you're using forward and hit the guard button. This move lasts an extremely short time, so it must be timed almost perfectly. If this move is still in effect, and the opponent attacks and strikes, their attack is repelled and they are knocked back and stunned for a little bit. If your opponent can use this effectively, and you can't.. you can pretty much kiss your chances of winning goodbye.

                      There is pretty much no way to pull all of this off well only being able to hear what's going on. You would have to predict when they would attack.. and even then, they could sit back, wait for you to futily guard impact nothing, and then strike in between it and their next guard impact.

                      That said, I still think it's amazing he they can even play videogames at all, let alone well.

                      Comment

                      • igotrhythm
                        Fractals!
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 6535

                        #26
                        RE: Re: RE: In Other News: Blind Gamer Kicks Asses!

                        I'd be one of the guys that got pwned, only a lot harder than the others. I'm still working on joystick moves to initiate special attacks, so I've been known to regress into button-mashing mode. (1337 postage, fellow Michiganian. Congrats. )

                        The only fighting game I can do with any amount of talent, assuming I got the hang of the controller, would probably be something from the Guilty Gear series, as if you couldn't already guess from my avatar.

                        In a probably vain attempt to add some substance to this post, I wonder if he's tried to branch out into other beat-em-ups. If he did, I'd bet he probably pwns just as hard on those as well. This is one amazing person, indeed. Plus, you just have to think about what it does to a guy's ego to lose to somebody that can't even see the screen.
                        Originally posted by thesunfan
                        I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

                        Comment

                        Working...