This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ilikexd
    ​
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Apr 2006
    • 3209

    #16
    Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

    Originally posted by rayword45
    Now that you mention that, I wonder what their anti-gambling position is.

    "Blackjack is an inherently violent game"

    Don't smack me for being unfunny.
    Yeah, 'hit' can simply mean 'come in contact with' in a very vague sense. "Hit that" referring to sexual intercourse just refers to bodies coming into contact, nothing violent at all. That this implication was made is honestly frightening, has no basis in reality, and makes me question the sanity of whoever imagined that. I mean come on, another way of saying this is "tap that."

    Comment

    • tosh
      O Derby, Where Art Thou?
      • Jul 2003
      • 1018

      #17
      Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

      I'd hit that 64 measure run with ridiculous FA.

      For real: I understand the necessity to bring more attention to these issues, but there are much better ways of doing so.

      Another thought: Isn't UC Davis like 40% East Asian? Obviously not all of them are exchange students, but if it's anything like my uni then I would guess that a fair number did not have English as a first language and some may not be privy to slang that is common in the continental US.

      Edit: Wow those spelling mistakes in the screenshot.
      Way to spell achievement, connection, and commodity.
      Last edited by tosh; 12-16-2014, 10:05 PM.

      Comment

      • ilikexd
        ​
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Apr 2006
        • 3209

        #18
        Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

        Originally posted by tosh
        Edit: Wow those spelling mistakes in the screenshot.
        Way to spell achievement, connection, and commodity.
        Wow, that's unbelievable.

        Comment

        • MinaciousGrace
          FFR Player
          • Dec 2007
          • 4278

          #19
          Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

          at this point you just realize that higher learning is a farce and accept that most americans aren't capable of understanding even the basic concepts of nuance connotation and context

          Comment

          • Arch0wl
            Banned
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Dec 2002
            • 6344

            #20
            Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

            Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
            at this point you just realize that higher learning is a farce and accept that most americans aren't capable of understanding even the basic concepts of nuance connotation and context
            I agree to an extent. Some universities still very much uphold principles of higher learning, but many are becoming merely machines to be socialized according to a specific norm.

            A much bigger problem is that academic journals often make submission quite difficult for people unaffiliated with a university, and journals are effectively where the bulk of new knowledge occurs. So submission to a journal entails acceptance of all the social policies of a university, which may be backward like this UC Davis one.

            I was in awe when I saw a Harvard law professor talk about the difficulties of teaching rape law because students complained that they found the content 'triggering'. Something doesn't cease to be true or valuable because someone's feelings don't gel with it, and that should never be a consideration for whether to teach subject matter. It takes a tremendously entitled person to think they should have their base reactions accommodated at the expense of knowledge.

            Comment

            • MinaciousGrace
              FFR Player
              • Dec 2007
              • 4278

              #21
              Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

              To be serious for a moment, this is just another non productive manifestation of the frenzied political correctness of discussing gender issues where organizations associate discussing gender issues with favorable public visibility; then realize productively discussing gender issues takes time and effort so the next best and cheapest option is to ram it down peoples' throats without any intellectual discourse and hope fucking idiots like surt lick that shit up without thinking about what they can do to actually help solve gender issues.

              Somewhat akin to the UN publishing a manual for and mandating national statistical offices worldwide to produce gender reports without said manual containing any substantive information on how to go about doing so in a way that produces anything beyond basic sex differential tables. No a bunch of tables delineated by sex do not make for a passable gender report. Not that national statistical office staff of any given country are in any way interested in or qualified for producing detailed gender reports that identify analyze and track culturally specific gender issues at any meaningful capacity. Or that anyone at the UN stats office are either of these things.

              And that whole objectification and idealization of women and sexist tropes in video games topic that came along with that whole gamergate shitstorm. I mean I get that some people are mad about females being idealized in idealized representations of reality designed to insert players into a fantasy world that represents their desired reality, but really of all the fucking gender issues you could possibly get outraged over that should be the last fucking one. To reiterate, no, whining about sexism in video games does not make you a great civil rights and gender issues pioneer. Try tackling like, idk, the million and a fucking half other social issues that negatively affect society first.

              anyway tl;dr same shit as usual people think getting mad about problems and shoving it everyone's face is the same thing as solving them
              Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-16-2014, 10:51 PM.

              Comment

              • MinaciousGrace
                FFR Player
                • Dec 2007
                • 4278

                #22
                Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                now im mad about shit on the internet brb gonna rape some bitch pimps

                Comment

                • Red Blaster
                  Bridge Burner
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 2040

                  #23
                  Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                  Who actually says "I raped that exam!"?

                  When I hear a slang use of the word rape it's usually in a gaming context (i.e. "You just got raped" or "I just raped so and so" etc etc), but I've never actually heard anyone casually regarding everyday situations..let alone exams.

                  Also, the fact that whoever came up with this thinks that "I'd hit that" and "Bitch" condone violence toward anyone simply blows my mind.

                  This is basically indoctrination, but on the bright side, you can still register despite getting all the questions wrong.
                  Originally posted by hi19hi19
                  edgelord Linkin Park adolescent angst music
                  Originally posted by choof
                  hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
                  Originally posted by Funnygurl555
                  what's a milky christmas :O

                  Comment

                  • j-rodd123
                    End of the road
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3692

                    #24
                    Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                    Wow that's pretty ridiculous

                    Originally posted by FictionJunction
                    wow

                    Comment

                    • Arch0wl
                      Banned
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 6344

                      #25
                      Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                      I might actually write a very mad long internet article about this. haven't written any new articles for the public in months.

                      this is essentially my problem with what I call naive psycholinguistics -- the claims being made here are psycholinguistic (they claim language has x effect on the brain which results in y behavior), but the people making them don't realize they're making psycholinguistic claims, nor even empirical claims, so they don't realize they have to be held to standard empirical methodology that you'd be held to for any social science.

                      it happens so much that it's worth classifying into a whole category of dogmatic interpretation. "[linguistic act] causes [behavior I say it does] therefore you should face [severe consequence]"

                      Comment

                      • ItsOnlyDanO
                        Stuck in the past
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Oct 2013
                        • 1168

                        #26
                        Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                        I cannot agree enough with the title of this thread

                        I'm not sure what I'm more confused by, the fact that they assume that those words/phrases only have one meaning or the whole fact that you have to take a quiz about 'words that hurt' before attending a college

                        What were they thinking?
                        Ghosts appear and fade away.......

                        Comment

                        • Dynam0
                          The Dominator
                          • Sep 2005
                          • 8987

                          #27
                          Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                          Comment

                          • Coolboyrulez0
                            VICES
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            FFR Music Producer
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 10042

                            #28
                            Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                            Third wave feminism at work, nothing new here.
                            https://soundcloud.com/cbrbreakcore
                            https://cbrrecords.bandcamp.com/

                            Comment

                            • Izzy
                              Snek
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Jan 2003
                              • 9195

                              #29
                              Re: This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months

                              That isn't what slut means at all...

                              Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
                              now im mad about shit on the internet brb gonna rape some bitch pimps
                              I think you mean you'd rape some slutty pimp bitches.
                              I'd hit that.
                              Last edited by Izzy; 12-18-2014, 05:24 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...