Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DotKritic
    Forum User
    • Jun 2009
    • 2974

    #61
    Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

    The General Manager at Red Sushi walks around the dining area and the hibachi area asking guests how the service and food is. My family had one problem in the 20+ times we dined in and he took care of the issue promptly.

    FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
    Save 50% on Codecademy Plus, Pro, or Pro Student

    Comment

    • korny
      It's Saint Pepsi bitch
      • May 2004
      • 4385

      #62
      Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

      I think it's retarded when I hear that people are "too afraid" to complain. You are paying for a service and an experience and you are going to end up with servers at times who lack the necessary professionalism to rectify the issues at hand. That's what the GM is for. My tip is directly related to how quickly water gets put on my table, how quickly I am attended to, and how attentive to my needs the server is. If all goes well I tip 50% quite often.

      Comment

      • Cavernio
        sunshine and rainbows
        • Feb 2006
        • 1987

        #63
        Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

        Originally posted by korny
        K so, a problem that could have easily been avoided by asking to speak with the manager you instead let ruin your dining experience altogether. Seems rather silly if you ask me.
        Was this directed at me? I don't want to speak to manager every time I eat out. I hate making a fuss, and that won't necessarily fix anything anyways? A manager can make a mistake too. FYI, I don't eat at my parents house because despite me explaining numerous times how to avoid cross contamination of foods that give me an immune reaction, one little slip up is all I need to feel sick(er) for weeks. And every time I went there was something suspect. There's a reason my own house is totally gluten and dairy free.

        Besides which, I didn't expect to HAVE an issue telling someone 'I can't have dairy', and then getting a plate with a large swath of creamy cheese in the middle, especially after the conversation I had with the waitress while ordering about what I can and can't eat, and going over multiple different menu items. I got safe food for myself eventually there, there wasn't a problem once I made it clear I wasn't going to eat the food they had given me.

        It's worse than you think though. That incident, among others, just didn't ruin my dining experience there, it has ruined my dining experience for every restaurant. I'd been to that restaurant before and been perfectly happy. But mistakes happen, it's a fact of life, and that incident just opened my eyes in that it'd be stupid for me to expect to always have a safe dining experience out. And it's stupid of me to eat something if I don't think it IS safe.

        Anyways, I seem to have issues with lots of foods that technically should be safe for me to eat. Even if I could guarantee tiny amounts of gluten and dairy not being in my food, there's no guarantee I'd be able to eat at the vast majority of food at restaurant's anyways. Safest thing would probably be salad without dressing. Yum. And if they cut the tomatoes on a board that touched flour at any point and wasn't cleaned exceptionally well, it wouldn't be safe.

        I suppose my absolute most recent experience in 'eating out' was getting coffee at a Tim Horton's drive thru, in my own mug. I had nerve pain and itchy hands for 3 weeks.

        Comment

        • korny
          It's Saint Pepsi bitch
          • May 2004
          • 4385

          #64
          Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

          What you call making a fuss I call making a legitimate and deserved complaint regarding the issues at hand i.e. your celiacs disease. You are basically letting like I said, the unprofessional servers that tend to appear from time to time ruin your dining experience altogether at a restaurant. You are choosing to not seek out a more enjoyable experience, when one can be provided. It is their JOB. I have been a server. Complaints are not complaints to me. It's feed back that is necessary for me to ensure you received the experience our restaurant is supposed to provide, so that you come back, and tip me well. I tend to notice that being timid is incredibly common amongst those who eat out and didn't get what they were looking. The whole reason you are dining out is to have the experience you expect to receive, and if one unqualified server isn't giving you that experience, then the GM will (should) make damn sure that you get it. This also depends largely on what sort of restaurant you eat out at. I don't eat at chili's. Why? Because I don't expect an amazing dining experience.( and the food is crap) People don't go to chili's expecting top quality service and cleanliness. I will hope and assume that someone with a disease such as celiacs, would keep in mind that what quality restaurant you go to is directly dependent upon how well that restaurant is usually run, so from that perspective, what did you expect? (I don't know the quality of this restaurant I'm just giving an example.) I don't agree that this is how things should be, but servers bust their ass and have to deal with crap all the time. The incentives provided to keep up with things like those with dairy or gluten issues, doesn't really register for some. Some people are plain ignorant and uneducated, and they tend to carry a certain work ethic with them because of it. You have to be honest and rational with yourself before outright saying "I'm done with restaurants for now". Basically, you get what you pay for.
          Last edited by korny; 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM.

          Comment

          • Cavernio
            sunshine and rainbows
            • Feb 2006
            • 1987

            #65
            Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

            Not eating at restaurants IS me being rational. The Blue Door is one of the more upper-scale restaurants where I live, and their food is really good.

            I understand what you're getting at, but believe me, it's nearly impossible to 'keep up' with celiac disease. The one food product that makes me sick in the tiniest of quantities is literally the most common food product in North America. That's not a sleight at waiters or chefs, it's a matter of fact. (But yes, I'm still a little peeved at that one server I had.)

            So far the most reliable gluten tests can detect 5ppm. The international standard is 20ppm for gluten, but in North America that's not strict at all, it's merely a guideline. Some individuals with celiac disease know they still get sick from eating foods at 20ppm of gluten, and this has been scientifically tested too. About 10% of celiacs don't get better from what seems to be a gluten free diet. They have what's called refractory celiac disease. I've now read a small study that strongly suggested that these people don't have some sort of different disease and have been misdiagnosed (as I had originally figured would be the case). Rather, they have simply never been gluten free enough, or their celiac disease is reactive to more proteins than just gluten and hordein and avenin. The study had them basically cut out all and anything processed including all grains and dairy and a think a couple more things for a few months. And they finally showed some healing.

            I've found that not all celiacs will be as careful as me, and I know of some who are more cautious than me. I just want to get better. Unlike for many people, I never had a nice phase after cutting out gluten when I felt better. It's been agonizingly slow with lots of setbacks as I figure out that I can't scarf down everything that says 'gluten free' on the label. How am I supposed to eat out if I don't even know what products I can tell them I can eat?

            Comment

            • Jonlovesddr
              h
              • Sep 2008
              • 1631

              #66
              Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

              Duff's in buffalo
              10/10 so much

              Comment

              • korny
                It's Saint Pepsi bitch
                • May 2004
                • 4385

                #67
                Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                I understand, and that is fair. Anecdotally, I ate out with my friends father who has celiacs a while back. He is incredibly successful and is solely in charge of integrating blackberry products with dell products I believe. Basically, he's rich as fuck. The only relevance in stating that, is that he is accustomed to getting straight to the point about his disease because he constantly eats out with business executives . He asks for the GM everytime and makes it very clear, "look, I have celiacs disease, I am hyper sensitive to gluten products and need to be ensured that there will be no issues with this because I have been told this is a celiacs friendly environment." His concerns are immediately and genuinely addressed. For people like you, these things are necessary. Instead of looking at it as causing conflict, it is important to always be vocal about maintaining the sensitivities to your health like he does, so that you don't feel so excluded from enjoying what many others do

                Comment

                • DotKritic
                  Forum User
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 2974

                  #68
                  Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                  Originally posted by korny
                  I think it's retarded when I hear that people are "too afraid" to complain. You are paying for a service and an experience and you are going to end up with servers at times who lack the necessary professionalism to rectify the issues at hand. That's what the GM is for. My tip is directly related to how quickly water gets put on my table, how quickly I am attended to, and how attentive to my needs the server is. If all goes well I tip 50% quite often.
                  Exactly.

                  I tip as high as 40% if service is great. But if I'm at the bar at Main Event and I order a couple of beers and a small meal, most of the time I'll tip the total amount of the bill (E.g. The bill at the bar could be $12.50 and I would tip that amount or close to it).

                  FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
                  Save 50% on Codecademy Plus, Pro, or Pro Student

                  Comment

                  • Aldentron
                    Forum User
                    • Jul 2007
                    • 828

                    #69
                    Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                    20% is my minimum cause pretty much all of my corporate work experience is in food service.

                    As for Pappa Chang's yesterday, they were understaffed on an early Sunday afternoon. Me and my friend girl almost had to opt for the buffet (which DID have a fair number of vegan options for me to chose from) until the owner guy came and apologized and took our orders from the menu. The food came and I was still home in time to get ready for work where I made $7 less in tips than I paid for my whole meal at the restaurant.
                    Originally posted by top
                    what the hell happened to alden
                    i remember a time when he wuz kewl

                    like... wut

                    Comment

                    • Spenner
                      Forum User
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 2403

                      #70
                      Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                      Originally posted by Jonlovesddr
                      Duff's in buffalo
                      10/10 so much
                      Oh shit, I went there like 5 years ago and they had amazing wings. Awesome place~

                      Comment

                      • kommisar
                        Dark Chancellor
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        FFR Music Producer
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 7328

                        #71
                        Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                        House of Lam

                        top tier chinese food. a little more expensive, but very worth it. no frozen shit, everything made fresh.

                        Comment

                        • mi40
                          ᅠ
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 3655

                          #72
                          Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                          fresh chinese food is so fuckin worth

                          Comment

                          • rayword45
                            Local Teenage Wastebasket
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 3212

                            #73
                            Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                            Boloco (stands for Boston Local Company, so I'm guessing it's a local Burrito chain)

                            I was kinda stoned at the time, but those burritos were delicious. Authentic? Hell to the no. But they were good. And the Nutella milkshake was like a white person's dream I assume. For me it was decent.
                            The above post has a 50% chance of being useless. Potentially. Maybe.

                            BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

                            Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

                            And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
                            NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

                            Comment

                            • popsicle_3000
                              Legendary Noob
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Sep 2005
                              • 4642

                              #74
                              Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                              Maccas. would eat there again for those non-aussies, maccas = mcdonalds

                              edit: and holy crap, ffr is loaded. tipping 50% 0_o
                              Last edited by popsicle_3000; 08-30-2013, 09:54 PM.

                              Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                              39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
                              Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
                              one way to stream them all
                              Originally posted by Xiz
                              Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

                              But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
                              Originally posted by thesunfan
                              replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
                              Originally posted by reuben_tate
                              Title: Popsicle Three

                              Thousand the farthest
                              He's gone in an official
                              Whoop hip hip hooray!
                              Originally posted by U.N. Owen
                              kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

                              @popsicle_3000:
                              Danger incoming
                              The popsicles are melting
                              Three thousand of them
                              Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
                              you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

                              dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
                              friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
                              dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
                              friend: hey bro can i tell you something
                              dynam0 yeah man whats up?
                              friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
                              dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
                              friend: thanks man
                              dynam0: no problem man
                              Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                              pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
                              Originally posted by Xiz
                              Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.

                              Comment

                              • rayword45
                                Local Teenage Wastebasket
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                • Feb 2007
                                • 3212

                                #75
                                Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

                                Originally posted by popsicle_3000
                                Maccas. would eat there again
                                for those non-aussies, maccas = mcdonalds
                                How the fuck does this compute? Unless you guys have clean McDonalds with fresh food.
                                The above post has a 50% chance of being useless. Potentially. Maybe.

                                BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

                                Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

                                And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
                                NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

                                Comment

                                Working...