What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Senip
    Forum User
    • Feb 2008
    • 611

    #16
    Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

    Get your credit up high and then don't blow it on stupid shit. Be smart about your budget: understand what you can get and what you can't. Don't be like me and a lot of other students who get a credit card during college and go "woohoo free money!"

    If you have a job, look and see if they have any investment options. They usually give you a really good discount and that can build up over time. Start thinking long term, not just short term.

    Comment

    • Evascythe
      evascythe
      • Mar 2005
      • 2909

      #17
      Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

      Originally posted by Senip
      Get your credit up high and then don't blow it on stupid shit. Be smart about your budget: understand what you can get and what you can't. Don't be like me and a lot of other students who get a credit card during college and go "woohoo free money!"
      This this this! I learned this the hard way. :l I'm sorry to hear about your father.


      Originally posted by moches
      I love your avatar and you seem like a chill dude

      Comment

      • danny53x
        AKA Yotipo
        • Jan 2007
        • 1008

        #18
        Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

        Truly sorry to hear about the situation. I bet it happened in a flash. Looking for advice is a great choice you've made, but also make sure you take initiative! Making an action is something I have trouble doing @_@..

        Just so you know I admire and look up to you as I'm sure many do on this website. So continue to push forward with ambition and purpose!

        Comment

        • iironiic
          D6 FFR Legacy Player
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Jan 2009
          • 4342

          #19
          Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

          Thanks everyone. Fortunately I picked up cooking in college so I'm glad that's one less thing to worry. Seems like having a stable budget and receiving emotional support are the biggest suggestions, so I'll keep that in mind.

          Might as well start selling my textbooks on eBay now. I have a huge pile of them sitting in the corner of my room. At least this will start me off with some money. I also have an REU in about two weeks, so that stipend will hopefully help me financially as well.

          Thank you all again for the help. I'll try my best to keep my chin up.

          Comment

          • DossarLX ODI
            Batch Manager
            Game Manager
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Mar 2008
            • 15013

            #20
            Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

            Originally posted by Reincarnate
            6. Learn to cook. Buy food in bulk. This will save you a ton of money.
            Going into this, see what options you have for food. For $11 from an Indian Buffet takeout my mother was able to feed us, a family of 5, for one full meal (basically around $2 per person) and sometimes even having some leftovers. Learning to buy in bulk will definitely save you a nice amount in the long run, and it's definitely worth it.

            As previously mentioned, Definitely see if you can get government aid as well. My father's mentioned the Food Stamp Program which can come in handy if things get really ugly. Some people fail to see what exists out there to help them and then they wind up being arrogant and in a mess thinking they don't need any help; be smart, and don't think that bettering your situation makes you "less hardworking" (I'm just mentioning this because there ARE people like that out there).
            Originally posted by hi19hi19
            oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

            Comment

            • A2P
              FFR Veteran
              • Apr 2009
              • 3127

              #21
              Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

              Balance your money and SAVE SAVE SAVE. Also don't live above your means, as in don't take out a loan for a $50k car when you make $10/hr or something similar.

              That's it.

              Comment

              • Winrar
                Quasi-porn
                • Jan 2008
                • 1843

                #22
                Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                Be strong for the entire family.

                Originally posted by Staiain
                I'm sorry but... *flicks hair* I don't DO 0.x rates 8)

                Comment

                • who_cares973
                  FFR Player
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 15407

                  #23
                  Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                  Also don't be afraid to suck a little dick for money. If the cause is just then it won't be gay

                  Comment

                  • TC_Halogen
                    Rhythm game specialist.
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    FFR Music Producer
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 19376

                    #24
                    Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                    I actually was not aware of this situation with your family (partly because we don't talk quite as much as we used to), and I woke up to this news from Kayla today. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that this is truly grave news and I would not ever wish this on anyone I know. You're a very intelligent person and I have no doubt in my mind that you can assume a role of leadership not only for yourself, but also for your family in efforts to provide necessary support.

                    As far as any tips I can provide, all I can say is keep your emotions in check. When my grandmother and great grandmother passed away, my dad became a very heavy drinker and it had adverse effects on me and my mother. My father did many careless activities, drinking in bars and coming home extremely late on work nights, hammered and plastered without a care in the world. I was living in an already turbulent environment with my parents having issues beforehand -- this event certainly didn't help.

                    When I started having emotional issues, I also tried focusing myself in something that I enjoyed. If you have a healthy habit that you can engage yourself in without reducing the amount of time you need to spend fixing your situation, by all means - do it. It's quite surprising how a single session of doing something you enjoy can help your state of mind. Swimming was my outlet for stress and it made me feel better because I was too physically taxed to think about my emotional issues (obviously, this isn't the event for you as you need to be on your feet frequently!).

                    That's... about all I really can offer. Again, I'd really like to give my condolences -- you certainly aren't a person who deserves anything like this and it does hurt me a little bit to see the fight you're about to have.

                    Stay strong.
                    Last edited by TC_Halogen; 06-12-2012, 09:57 AM.

                    Comment

                    • A2P
                      FFR Veteran
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 3127

                      #25
                      Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                      also, wear condoms until you can make at least $30,000/yr annually.

                      Comment

                      • TheSaxRunner05
                        The Doctor
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 6144

                        #26
                        Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                        Originally posted by A2P
                        as in don't take out a loan for a $50k car when you make $10/hr or something similar.
                        Good luck getting a bank to go for that loan lol


                        Comment

                        • who_cares973
                          FFR Player
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 15407

                          #27
                          Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                          With a cosigner its possible

                          Comment

                          • welsh_girl
                            FFR Player
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 1366

                            #28
                            Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                            Sorry to hear iironiic

                            The main thing I'm 'good' at and find essential in my life for me, my Boyfriend, Daughter and soon to be other child is money management and budgeting as we're living on one wage atm which doesn't go far.

                            I bulk buy if it works out cheaper for essential things like toilet roll, toiletries and thing we do need but don't want to be buying weekly.

                            I buy good quality meat, but when it's reduced in the shop and freeze it (sometimes cut it up too if it's a big piece) so we're able to have fresh meat more often than if I was paying full price. Also, try and cut down on your meat consumption if you're big meat eaters and replace it with things like Soy Beans and Chickpeas, high in protein and fibre too.
                            Also cook everything from scratch, you save so much more money in the long run (once you done the initial payment for things like spices which ain't really that much) and it taste better.

                            Also, cut out luxuries you don't really need, like a phone contract or (I dunno how it works in the USA) but things like paying for 400 extra TV channels and stick with the basics so that money can go somewhere more needed

                            I don't really know much else apart from saving money.
                            Last edited by welsh_girl; 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM.

                            Comment

                            • A2P
                              FFR Veteran
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 3127

                              #29
                              Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                              Originally posted by who_cares973
                              With a cosigner its possible
                              ^Yea.

                              Comment

                              • Cavernio
                                sunshine and rainbows
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 1987

                                #30
                                Re: What do you think are essential for adults to know in order to have a stable life

                                I wish I could offer you good advice, but I can't. I barely look after myself. I dread the day when I have to look after my parents and in-laws. Have a stricter budget than necessary so you can save up for stuff, get a good job. Taxes should be a breeze unless you own a business or something, in which case hire someone to do your taxes for you. Paying bills is as simple as setting up automatic payments from debit, credit cards, or mailing them.
                                Don't neglect your friends.

                                All I can really do is offer condolences for you and your family.

                                Oh, and life's not stable.
                                Last edited by Cavernio; 06-12-2012, 07:34 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...