Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Aldentron
    Forum User
    • Jul 2007
    • 828

    #16
    Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

    if you don't feel like walking the stage, don't. i didn't want to walk at my graduation, but my mom convinced me at the last minute and i regretted it. those mortar boards and gowns are just dumb traditions, kind of like a receipt for your parents so they're assured they got what they paid for...
    Originally posted by top
    what the hell happened to alden
    i remember a time when he wuz kewl

    like... wut

    Comment

    • Sprite-
      HAVE ME WITH VODKA
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Aug 2005
      • 7317

      #17
      Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

      I didn't walk at my graduation. I personally hate those ceremonies. My parents tried to make me but i'm stubborn.

      Don't feel bad about that.

      Comment

      • Xiz
        TWG Chaos
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Feb 2012
        • 3399

        #18
        Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

        It took me two years to fully decide what I wanted to do with my life. I started off as a Classical Trombonist (I know, lots of money there) and then found that I didn't have the skills necessary to become as successful as I intended regardless of my practice due to permeant jaw damage in surgery after I got struck by lightning a few years ago. (I know, you probably dont believe me. But Hopefully you can haha)

        I found myself getting interesting in Film production / editing. But that meant I needed to start over as a Junior in College going back to freshman year again. All the time you spent was not wasted, but in fact shaped you to become what you are going to be soon.

        Its your life. Not your parents. Respect them and understand their wishes, but you need to do what you need to do in your life. Besides, trying out new things is hella fun. Being ADHD is really fun because I can never concentr- did you know that there is one documented case of longevity is of an adult Indian Ocean Giant Tortoise. After being captured and estimated to be 50 years old, it lived another 152 years in captivity.

        But seriously, I wish you the best. You are not the only one who needs to start over. Good luck bro

        Comment

        • kommisar
          Dark Chancellor
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Music Producer
          • Jun 2005
          • 7328

          #19
          Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

          Just do what you want lol. Quit makin yaself miserable

          Comment

          • Spenner
            Forum User
            • Nov 2006
            • 2403

            #20
            Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

            If you tell yourself you're unable or unfit to do something, and believe it, good luck achieving that goal. If you're motivated enough to reach it, you can curve your growth and learning for success. Just be optimistic and work hard at it; but, you have to really want it. Otherwise there's no point.

            If you don't truly want this, then find what you do want, and pursue that.

            Comment

            • Cavernio
              sunshine and rainbows
              • Feb 2006
              • 1987

              #21
              Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

              "What you may not be is prepared, confident, or willing to fail."

              Take a long think about what playtrumpet says.

              My own 2 cents:
              -No matter what you do, you will fail at some point. You can get a job being a garbage collector and still screw up. You can't just drop to an easier job everytime your mistakes make you feel bad.
              -You say that your boss is the only person who would hire you. Pretending it's even true, (which is doubtful), put that statement into perspective. Do you know how many people go unhired? You don't even have your diploma yet and you've got a job! That's pretty damned good, especially these days. They hired you for a reason.
              -You're at the beginning of a career, and you've made a ton of mistakes. Just think about how much you've learned from them already.
              -There's a reason people don't like to hire people without experience...they ALL make dumb mistakes. For some jobs, experience means more than a degree. The learning curve can be really steep. Don't think that just because you're not getting it right now that in 5 years you still won't be good. It sounds to me like you haven't given this career path enough of a chance to know if you could be good or not.
              -You sound like you have confidence issues. yeah yeah, I'm basing this off of a few paragraphs of text, but it's not just you. Why do you think your family thinks you're smart enough if you aren't actually smart enough? Statements like 'I make my boss unhappy' are so blase and are, like, stereotypical of someone who has no self-esteem. It doesn't even make sense. You don't have to 'make your boss happy'...you sound like you're failing a friendship with them or something. You're there to do a job, not make them happy. Have you considered that your boss is a perfectionist and tends to be unhappy most of the time? Maybe they're just a grump.
              -Also the possibility that your boss isn't all that good. When I was a research assistant, the prof I worked for was super sensitive about some things, and he'd change his mind often, making headaches for people. Importantly, he wasn't always right.
              In your case your mistakes might be easily avoided if your boss prepared you enough for them, acted more like a mentor or something, because you ARE new.

              Consider yourself warned if you drop down to an easier career and you still find that you're ****ing up :-p
              I will, however, concede that perhaps you don't have what it takes to do this job. I'm quite doubtful that intelligence is what you're lacking right now though, rather that confidence and a good self-image and the ability to pick yourself up and keep on going is what you need. Things which will give you problems in any job, might I add.
              Last edited by Cavernio; 05-8-2012, 11:55 AM.

              Comment

              • Hazelle
                THUG LIFE!
                • Mar 2007
                • 515

                #22
                Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

                I've read all of your posts and your comforting and assurances help a lot (:

                I've thought for some time and realized after your guys's posts that I'm being illogical. I'm gonna stick with my paralegal career and for now just try to find a new employer. I guess I just feel dumb because I wasn't really taught too many "paralegal tasks" in the year I worked for my current employer. I'm okay with learning on my own and such, but there's too much she's assigning me to learning on my own, and she's unwilling (obviously) to teach me it. Now the next step is to work on my confidence...I hope my self-esteem and such rises with a new employer. I think my current one is doing more harm than good.

                All of your posts helped so much guys ^_^ Without this I would've been looking in the wrong areas of work during my 2 weeks off. Hopefully I find somewhere new. You guys are (as I've said before) amazing <3 <3 thank you!

                Comment

                • Cavernio
                  sunshine and rainbows
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 1987

                  #23
                  Re: Yes. I'm asking for &quot;life advice&quot; on here - deal with it

                  Glad you're feeling better about it. Don't feel dumb about questioning either; it's hard to really know what one's own limitations are sometimes.

                  Comment

                  • 00Razor00
                    FFR Player
                    • Jul 2006
                    • 3530

                    #24
                    Re: Yes. I'm asking for &quot;life advice&quot; on here - deal with it

                    Originally posted by kommisar
                    Just do what you want lol. Quit makin yaself miserable
                    Best post in this thread.


                    Originally posted by t-rogdor
                    hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus

                    Comment

                    Working...