Now this looks like a free MMO worth playing

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Freak83
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Feb 2003
    • 3281

    #16
    RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth playing

    I remember downloading this game a while ago. I think it would be a good game if you played it a long time and got into it, but for starting off it's incredibly hard to learn and immidiatly disposes of your attention. Unless you have great patience to deal with a large learning curve I would not reccomend this game.

    Comment

    • lord_carbo
      FFR Player
      • Dec 2004
      • 6222

      #17
      Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth playing

      Originally posted by UbEr_RaVe
      Maplestory = Crap?
      Yes, Maple Story = Crap

      Seriously, it's boring. Even F2P Runescape lasts longer.

      But the best free MMO ever is by far Puzzle Pirates. I mean, it has pirates, and it has puzzles. All it needs is sex and it would be flawless.
      last.fm

      Comment

      • vashthestampede0987
        FFR Player
        • Jan 2004
        • 2997

        #18
        RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth pla

        He says this because he can't deal with G-bin MS humor lololololol.
        Omega owes me [1] omega favor
        I am God of Hot Pockets, fear my fillings for they may be hot.


        Originally posted by Synthlight
        I hate myself.

        Cheers,

        Synthlight
        xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
        xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me

        Comment

        • MalReynolds
          CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
          • Sep 2003
          • 6571

          #19
          Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth playing

          Originally posted by lord_carbo
          Originally posted by UbEr_RaVe
          Maplestory = Crap?
          Yes, Maple Story = Crap

          Seriously, it's boring. Even F2P Runescape lasts longer.

          But the best free MMO ever is by far Puzzle Pirates. I mean, it has pirates, and it has puzzles. All it needs is sex and it would be flawless.
          See, I downloaded PuzzlePirates but really didn't like it. It didn't hold any lasting appeal or anything, and I love pirates. Love to captain my own ship. But this game just did nothing for me.

          Mal
          "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

          "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


          My new novel:

          Maledictions: The Offering.

          Now in Paperback!

          Comment

          • Chromer
            Hookers and Blow
            • Jul 2003
            • 4981

            #20
            Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth playing

            Originally posted by MalReynolds
            Originally posted by lord_carbo
            Originally posted by UbEr_RaVe
            Maplestory = Crap?
            Yes, Maple Story = Crap

            Seriously, it's boring. Even F2P Runescape lasts longer.

            But the best free MMO ever is by far Puzzle Pirates. I mean, it has pirates, and it has puzzles. All it needs is sex and it would be flawless.
            See, I downloaded PuzzlePirates but really didn't like it. It didn't hold any lasting appeal or anything, and I love pirates. Love to captain my own ship. But this game just did nothing for me.

            Mal
            QFE. And if you say that Runescape is better you must seriously be blind or have the fun spirit of Moogy on a bad day.

            Comment

            • ckj846
              FFR Player
              • Jan 2004
              • 2437

              #21
              Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth playing

              Originally posted by Chromer
              Originally posted by MalReynolds
              Originally posted by lord_carbo
              Originally posted by UbEr_RaVe
              Maplestory = Crap?
              Yes, Maple Story = Crap

              Seriously, it's boring. Even F2P Runescape lasts longer.

              But the best free MMO ever is by far Puzzle Pirates. I mean, it has pirates, and it has puzzles. All it needs is sex and it would be flawless.
              See, I downloaded PuzzlePirates but really didn't like it. It didn't hold any lasting appeal or anything, and I love pirates. Love to captain my own ship. But this game just did nothing for me.

              Mal
              QFE. And if you say that Runescape is better you must seriously be blind or have the fun spirit of Moogy on a bad day.
              Cheers to that! Although I havn't tried it, I'll take the word of others and steer clear of this one. Now back to Maplestory...
              O_o
              pyro31191: TELL EVERYONE YOU WANT TO TAKE IT IN THE ASS NOW
              pyro31191: rofl
              pyro31191: You should tell them earlier though
              pyro31191: so they can buy dildos instead of fleshlights

              Comment

              • Grandiagod
                FFR Player
                • Jul 2004
                • 6122

                #22
                RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth pla

                I played MS for a grand total of 35 minutes. Then I went back to watching my lawn grow.
                He who angers you conquers you. ~Elizabeth Kenny

                Comment

                • lord_carbo
                  FFR Player
                  • Dec 2004
                  • 6222

                  #23
                  Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth

                  Originally posted by vashthestampede0987
                  He says this because he can't deal with G-bin MS humor lololololol.
                  No, it just takes too long to level up. Hell, check my review on Gamespot.

                  http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/maple...html?id=217972

                  By lordcarbo
                  Posted Dec 14, 2005 3:00 pm PT
                  Recommended by 2 users.

                  Repetition and time consumption makes a bad combation...

                  At first, this game seemed pretty good. The graphics weren't all that impressive, but for the first few hours or so, it was pretty good.

                  Here is the rundown on the game: You level up, you choose a class you will stay at permanently, you go around in a 2D side-scrolling environment killing monsters, and you buy and sell items. I think I spent about six or seven hours until it got horribly repetitive. All I could do was smash monsters. Smash smash smash. When I wasn't killing the computer, I was waiting to heal because I didn't feel like walking all the way back to town to restock on potions.

                  There is a lot of competition and no real tension. There is no rush of joy when you get the kill from a monster, although people are always competing for it. Kill stealers flood the noob areas, probably one of the worst things about this game. People in the 40's and 30's level-wise will literally stay on spawns that are meant for people in the 10's; as if leveling wasn't long enough!

                  On the subject, leveling up is extremely time consuming. Even on level 12, it took me extremely long to level up. In fact, there are people who play a hours a day and are only in the 30's level-wise, and it takes them a few days just to level up. Another negative is how there are only one or two useful skill builds for each class.

                  Graphics aren't anything to brag about. They look like they came from one huge sprite sheet for a SNES game that never made it to America. Nevermind what the 2D graphics could of been, perhaps smooth like Gunbound or vector like a well made Flash game, you'll be stuck with graphics that look like they came out of an intermediate pixel-art gallery off of DeviantART. The sound gets extremely repetitive and is horribly played out. The few sound effects there are get tiresome to the point where you want to play target practice with your speakers.

                  The good points in this game is that sometimes the graphics aren't as bad as I stated. Sure, the animations can be choppy, but the cutesy-wutsey environment isn't so bad. Sometimes you'll feel satisfied leveling up, despite the lack of times you will level up. Most importantly, this game is free, so all you'll be wasting is time that could of been spent playing something more worth it.

                  Overall, this is a game you'd take a risk with. If you play any other games that you are still playing regularly or only semi-tired of, stick to those. If all you have on your list of games are games you know you won't want to see for years to come, try Maple Story. Who knows, you may like it, but it isn't good enough to last for most people.
                  last.fm

                  Comment

                  • falconsfan14
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 2183

                    #24
                    Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth

                    Originally posted by lord_carbo
                    Originally posted by vashthestampede0987
                    He says this because he can't deal with G-bin MS humor lololololol.
                    No, it just takes too long to level up. Hell, check my review on Gamespot.

                    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/maple...html?id=217972

                    By lordcarbo
                    Posted Dec 14, 2005 3:00 pm PT
                    Recommended by 2 users.

                    Repetition and time consumption makes a bad combation...

                    At first, this game seemed pretty good. The graphics weren't all that impressive, but for the first few hours or so, it was pretty good.

                    Here is the rundown on the game: You level up, you choose a class you will stay at permanently, you go around in a 2D side-scrolling environment killing monsters, and you buy and sell items. I think I spent about six or seven hours until it got horribly repetitive. All I could do was smash monsters. Smash smash smash. When I wasn't killing the computer, I was waiting to heal because I didn't feel like walking all the way back to town to restock on potions.

                    There is a lot of competition and no real tension. There is no rush of joy when you get the kill from a monster, although people are always competing for it. Kill stealers flood the noob areas, probably one of the worst things about this game. People in the 40's and 30's level-wise will literally stay on spawns that are meant for people in the 10's; as if leveling wasn't long enough!

                    On the subject, leveling up is extremely time consuming. Even on level 12, it took me extremely long to level up. In fact, there are people who play a hours a day and are only in the 30's level-wise, and it takes them a few days just to level up. Another negative is how there are only one or two useful skill builds for each class.

                    Graphics aren't anything to brag about. They look like they came from one huge sprite sheet for a SNES game that never made it to America. Nevermind what the 2D graphics could of been, perhaps smooth like Gunbound or vector like a well made Flash game, you'll be stuck with graphics that look like they came out of an intermediate pixel-art gallery off of DeviantART. The sound gets extremely repetitive and is horribly played out. The few sound effects there are get tiresome to the point where you want to play target practice with your speakers.

                    The good points in this game is that sometimes the graphics aren't as bad as I stated. Sure, the animations can be choppy, but the cutesy-wutsey environment isn't so bad. Sometimes you'll feel satisfied leveling up, despite the lack of times you will level up. Most importantly, this game is free, so all you'll be wasting is time that could of been spent playing something more worth it.

                    Overall, this is a game you'd take a risk with. If you play any other games that you are still playing regularly or only semi-tired of, stick to those. If all you have on your list of games are games you know you won't want to see for years to come, try Maple Story. Who knows, you may like it, but it isn't good enough to last for most people.

                    Youre an idiot.

                    First of all, the people sitting on spawns were hunting. second, if you think its hard to lvl at 12, then you fail at mmo's period.

                    Comment

                    • mead1
                      Cerebellumberjack
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Aug 2003
                      • 3960

                      #25
                      Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO worth

                      Originally posted by falconsfan14

                      Youre an idiot.
                      And Youre just lost all credibility.

                      Also, maplestory sucks becuase it is just too damn boring.

                      Comment

                      • falconsfan14
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 2183

                        #26
                        RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO w

                        and you are just lost all credibility? stfu now kthx.

                        and maple story is boring if you make it boring.

                        Comment

                        • Tasuke
                          FFR Player
                          • Oct 2003
                          • 1671

                          #27
                          Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free M

                          Originally posted by falconsfan14
                          and you are just lost all credibility? stfu now kthx.

                          and maple story is boring if you make it boring.
                          He's making fun of you. In case you couldn't tell.
                          Look at the averages for Maplestory.
                          http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/maplestory/readers.html
                          I like it. It is a pain in the ass to level up but that doesn't totally detract from the game. And who actually listens to the music from games that aren't consoles? I turn on some playlist and turn the game sound off.

                          Comment

                          • mead1
                            Cerebellumberjack
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Aug 2003
                            • 3960

                            #28
                            RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free MMO w

                            You obviously missed why I said "youre" in that statement. Let me spell it out for you.

                            "Youre" doesn't mean anything. You're is a conjunction of "You" and "Are". I was poking fun at your foolish mistake.

                            Also, MS is, in fact, really, really, boring. You have to sit for days grind leveling at the tree of slimes. And by days, I mean days. Lots of them. Fighting the exact same monster. Over, and over again. With no variation whatsoever. Or, that is the fastest way to gain levels, as per eb and the other vets. I assume if you wanted to play it like a real game, with exploration and variation, it would take you an infinate amount of time to reach level 30. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like excess amounts of grind-levelling. If you all spent the equivalent time working, you could buy several real games instead.

                            Comment

                            • Mindfields
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2004
                              • 1566

                              #29
                              Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a free M

                              Originally posted by mead1
                              "Youre" doesn't mean anything. You're is a conjunction of "You" and "Are". I was poking fun at your foolish mistake.
                              The GB is flooded with your foolish mistakes. They're intentional, of course. Why do you type like a moron in there? Typing like a jackass gets me points and makes me cool! On Gaia.

                              Anyways.
                              Conquer Online is a popular FREE to Play PvP Martial Arts MMORPG with 9 epic classes! The impeccable Dragon Warrior facing the expeditious Ninja, waging wars to bring light back to the dim world of Conquer! You can play as either the Dragon Warrior or Ninja to experience the fight of century!

                              Just read the guides and you'll be just fine.

                              Comment

                              • ghost_of_eb
                                FFR Player
                                • Mar 2005
                                • 106

                                #30
                                RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Now this looks like a fr

                                1) If you guys hate Maplestory so much, how about do something revolutionary and *gasp* stay on this topic's topic rather than floating over to MS land. If you don't keep arguing about MS, then maybe this topic would be about something that is (to you, possibly) more important.
                                2) Nobody ever specifically said what was wrong with the MMO this topic is supposedly about. Huge learning curve, yeah, but from what I read on the site (and I read through most of it) it seems like a pretty nifty idea.
                                3) Seeing as how I want to make video games for a living (and possibly an MMO) I really like to hear people's opinions of various games. So far, from what people have said about MS, I know that people hate it when leveling up takes a long time of doing the same thing. Would you guys still hate MS if there were a dozen different spots that were equally good for training, or if quests gave enough exp to be worth the effort, or if monsters scaled in exp more so that a monster with 3x more HP as another monster gave more than 2x the experience (red snails = 45 hp and 8 exp, blues snails = 15 hp and 4 exp)? Personally, I think Wizet did a lot of things right, but MS isn't a terrible game. I like the gameplay and I like the social environment, especially the social part. If it weren't for a bunch of FFRers playing, I don't know that I would play at all, but they make the game fun.
                                4) Seriously, what was bad about the game, specifically?
                                5) STAY ON TOPIC YOU SONS OF A BITCHES!

                                Comment

                                Working...