3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shenjoku
    Wubalubadubdub
    • May 2005
    • 1697

    #46
    Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

    Originally posted by MarioNintendo
    Huhh?? I actually think the game looks much better on a smaller screen. For example, even on the 3DS, I prefer to use the original Game Boy Color ratio as opposed to the ''full screen'' option.

    To each their own, I guess. In the end, all that matters is that we get to enjoy this awesome game!
    I guess I just don't like having to be hunched over a tiny screen for hours on end anymore.

    Just finished the mermaid cave in Ages. That was always my favorite dungeon. It's all coming back except that I don't remember any of the secrets. I still have level 1 everything haha.

    Once I finish this initial playthrough I'm gonna do a three heart run; Might even stream it. It doesn't seem to get too difficult until the crown dungeon.
    All of the Beamos shooting at you is going to be a real problem with only three hearts. Gonna have to be super good at dodging. Kind of a spoiler I guess since this dungeon is super Beamos heavy.
    boop

    Comment

    • SC_coolguy44
      Harmonoize
      • Sep 2007
      • 1041

      #47
      Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

      Originally posted by shenjoku
      I guess I just don't like having to be hunched over a tiny screen for hours on end anymore.

      Just finished the mermaid cave in Ages. That was always my favorite dungeon. It's all coming back except that I don't remember any of the secrets. I still have level 1 everything haha.

      Once I finish this initial playthrough I'm gonna do a three heart run; Might even stream it. It doesn't seem to get too difficult until the crown dungeon.
      All of the Beamos shooting at you is going to be a real problem with only three hearts. Gonna have to be super good at dodging. Kind of a spoiler I guess since this dungeon is super Beamos heavy.
      For some reason Jabu-Jabu's Belly was a cakewalk for me.

      Comment

      • shenjoku
        Wubalubadubdub
        • May 2005
        • 1697

        #48
        Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

        I guess I'll find out once I get there I don't remember it at all yet.
        boop

        Comment

        • SC_coolguy44
          Harmonoize
          • Sep 2007
          • 1041

          #49
          Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

          Originally posted by shenjoku
          I guess I'll find out once I get there I don't remember it at all yet.
          Well, that's the second to last actual dungeon in the game, so it probably won't be for a while.

          Comment

          • igotrhythm
            Fractals!
            • Sep 2004
            • 6535

            #50
            Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

            Originally posted by shenjoku
            I guess I just don't like having to be hunched over a tiny screen for hours on end anymore.

            Just finished the mermaid cave in Ages. That was always my favorite dungeon. It's all coming back except that I don't remember any of the secrets. I still have level 1 everything haha.

            Once I finish this initial playthrough I'm gonna do a three heart run; Might even stream it. It doesn't seem to get too difficult until the crown dungeon.
            All of the Beamos shooting at you is going to be a real problem with only three hearts. Gonna have to be super good at dodging. Kind of a spoiler I guess since this dungeon is super Beamos heavy.
            For Ages, to get the level 2 sword (which you can do before the Crown Dungeon) you have to complete the chain of favors.

            -After beating Level 1, get the Poe Clock from the ghost.
            -Give the Poe Clock to the postman in Lynna Village for Stationery.
            -Give the Stationery to the man in the hole in Lynna Village for a Stinky Bag. (Try not to think about it too much)
            -Give the bag to the stuffed-up Tokay cook on present Crescent Island and he'll give you Meat.
            -Give the meat to the Happy Mask Salesman (oh hi) west of Lynna City and you'll get a mask.
            -Give the dog mask to the dog lady for the Dumbbell.
            -Give the weight to the dude in Symmetry City that wants to work out and you'll get the Cheesy Mustache.
            -In Lynna City there is a man who will teach Link a Funny Joke in exchange for the mustache.
            -Tell the Funny Joke to the emo kid in Lynna Village to get a Touching Book.
            -Give the book to Maple and she'll give you a Magic Oar. (Don't worry, you won't have to fight her in this encounter.)
            -Go to Rafton's house and change the Magic Oar for the Sea Ukulele.
            -While you're at Rafton's place, go back to where you hit the storm and keep going north to find a cave. Go in and visit the Elderly Zora to exchange the guitar for a Broken Sword.
            -Go back to Patch's place and complete a more difficult version of the Restoration Ceremony to get the Noble Sword! (ZeldaDungeon.net says you have to clear two waves, but I distinctly remember three.)
            Last edited by igotrhythm; 11-14-2013, 12:12 AM.
            Originally posted by thesunfan
            I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

            Comment

            • shenjoku
              Wubalubadubdub
              • May 2005
              • 1697

              #51
              Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

              Thanks for that. I actually did end up getting the level two sword for my three heart run after playing the normal run once I saw how many hits the final boss took. It would have taken me ages (harhar) to beat it without it. Even with the level 2 sword I died 11 times on the final boss and two other times: one when I was testing out a ring only to find out it didn't work for some reason (the blue holy ring) and the other was against the jabu-jabu boss. It took me nearly six hours but I did it, and It felt good

              I did not have a shield the entire game except during the second dungeon
              since it's required
              and I did not use any rings since the one ring I tried to use I couldn't figure out. Also did not have any potions on me at any time except when required. So yeah, this turned out to be a rather minimalist run.

              EDIT: Teri is just some alternate name I use once in a while in case you're wondering :P Shen was my normal run where I was trying to remember everything.
              Attached Files
              boop

              Comment

              • igotrhythm
                Fractals!
                • Sep 2004
                • 6535

                #52
                Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                Nice job clearing the 3HC. A few tips:

                -When Plasmarine (the level 7 boss) starts swimming, it will be in a direct line to where you are at that moment. Swimming in a square around the room, stopping at each corner, is your safest bet. That way it will fire straight up/down or straight across, and you can even get him to swim into his own attacks for damage.

                -The strategy of bouncing seeds off the wall to hit targets behind you that you use on the Level 3 boss also works for the underwater portion of the Level 6 boss battle.

                -Veran in her bee form flies in a figure 8 around the room. Stay in the corner and get attacks of opportunity, because it's very easy to get greedy with the sword hits and have her fly into you. (I have no clue how you get through the black tower turret on three hearts, lmao.) Her spider form is tricky as hell, because you have to hit her with a bomb and then whale her with the sword while she's stunned from the blast. I recommend waiting until she tries to drop on you from the ceiling or baiting her into a miss when she tries to web you, as she's immobile for a while after executing those attacks. As for the turtle, just run back and forth across the room.

                -You get the Blue Ring in a chest somewhere around the 8th dungeon. When worn, this little beauty halves all damage you take. Definitely superior. (The various Holy Rings provide you with immunity to specific sources of damage, like electricity or River Zora fire.)

                -Consider falling for the trap in the Great Moblin's Keep. The Armor Ring L-1 is actually quite useful for when you get up to him.

                -You don't even need the shield to flip those things. I watched a TAS and found out that you can also use a well-placed shovel. Three heart runs are all about minimizing risk, though, so I wouldn't recommend trying this. (Do you even have the shovel by that point? I don't remember.)
                Originally posted by thesunfan
                I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

                Comment

                • shenjoku
                  Wubalubadubdub
                  • May 2005
                  • 1697

                  #53
                  Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                  Originally posted by igotrhythm
                  Nice job clearing the 3HC. A few tips:

                  -Veran in her bee form flies in a figure 8 around the room. Stay in the corner and get attacks of opportunity, because it's very easy to get greedy with the sword hits and have her fly into you. (I have no clue how you get through the black tower turret on three hearts, lmao.) Her spider form is tricky as hell, because you have to hit her with a bomb and then whale her with the sword while she's stunned from the blast. I recommend waiting until she tries to drop on you from the ceiling or baiting her into a miss when she tries to web you, as she's immobile for a while after executing those attacks. As for the turtle, just run back and forth across the room.
                  I had the most trouble with her second form since the projectiles go super fast and I kept accidentally running into the dark link's since I was trying to save them for health.

                  The black tower turret is pretty easy :P The only hard part is the first of the puzzle rooms where there's a blue knight in your way that's hard as hell to hit and kept knocking me back into the stairs.

                  Originally posted by igotrhythm
                  -You get the Blue Ring in a chest somewhere around the 8th dungeon. When worn, this little beauty halves all damage you take. Definitely superior. (The various Holy Rings provide you with immunity to specific sources of damage, like electricity or River Zora fire.)
                  I did try to use the blue holy ring but it didn't work for some reason, which was the cause of one of my deaths -_-

                  Originally posted by igotrhythm
                  -You don't even need the shield to flip those things. I watched a TAS and found out that you can also use a well-placed shovel. Three heart runs are all about minimizing risk, though, so I wouldn't recommend trying this. (Do you even have the shovel by that point? I don't remember.)
                  I watched a speedrun after I finished that used this technique. I was super surprised to see it haha. I had no idea that was an option. And yeah, you have the shovel before the first dungeon so there's no going out of the way or anything.

                  I might come back to it in a few years but I'm very done for now XD Seasons is next! >:3
                  boop

                  Comment

                  • igotrhythm
                    Fractals!
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 6535

                    #54
                    Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                    Originally posted by shenjoku

                    I did try to use the blue holy ring but it didn't work for some reason, which was the cause of one of my deaths -_-


                    I might come back to it in a few years but I'm very done for now XD Seasons is next! >:3
                    Not the Blue Holy Ring. The Blue Ring. They're different.

                    Some Seasons tips:

                    Don't bother trying to use bombs on Aquamentus. His only weak spot is his horn, and he's a lot more mobile than he was in the original. Pick your spots and don't get greedy, he can even fire beams behind him and the wooden shield is useless against them. It does, however, work against his charge.

                    For the level 2 miniboss, you have to throw bombs into his face. Level 2 boss, after throwing a bomb into his mouth you have to literally pick him up and toss him into the spike pit. I recommend using the boomerang to stun the enemies on the other side of the pit to get the Power Bracelet.

                    Level 3 has one of the more brutal item get rooms. It has enemies that mirror your movements just like the dark links in Veran stage 2 and a spinning spike, on top of conveyor belts. At least the boss fight is straightforward, though the miniboss can be punishing.

                    You can actually do Level 5 before Level 4, but given how easy it is to take a buttload of damage against Digdogger, I wouldn't recommend it. As for Gohma, the safe way is to slash off his claw before unloading seeds on his open eye, though I have killed him by shooting him as he rears back to strike and then jumping out of the way.

                    You have to get all 4 jewels before opening the way to level 6, but at least you don't /need/ to do favors to find the level 2 sword. However, Bipin will tell you that doing these favors is good for Gasha Nuts. What you do need favors for is the ability to purchase Magic Potions in Sunken City, though.

                    One screen down and two right of Level 6 is a buried soil spot. Plant a seed, beat the dungeon (Manhandla takes a long time to kill and is particularly annoying when it has one or two mouths left: Try magic boomerang and roc's feather, then close quickly with the sword for the final hit on the red core) and go back to it for an easy way to get the gasha nut heart piece.

                    In the Level 7 miniboss fight, the curse is in effect, so you need to keep the torches lit while dodging sword charges and fire sweeps. You also need the cape to make the jump to that switch...believe me, I've tried.

                    Level 8 has some real pain in the ass rooms. The miniboss requires you to cycle between mystery seed shots, power bracelets and the cape to jump away from his attacks. You can use ember seeds to hurt him in his ice form, but a faster way is to shrink the ice spike with mystery seed shots, hit him to change his form to fire, pick up the ice chunk and hurl it in his face. If you're looking for a safe route, I'd go with the ember seeds. At least the boss doesn't require you to shoot him with pegasus seeds for the kill...I prefer to get my hits in when he appears in the middle of the room and does that circle strafe.

                    Onox's Castle is a straight up gauntlet run where you have to kill everything before proceeding. You face a mix of Wizzrobes, then a combination of Darknuts and Wall Masters, then a rematch with the level 2 miniboss. During the first phase, when he uses Din as a shield, what you're supposed to do is use the Rod of Seasons to knock her away, though I've also found that donning the Green Holy Ring (no damage from electricity) lets you swing away with impunity.
                    Last edited by igotrhythm; 11-14-2013, 12:17 AM.
                    Originally posted by thesunfan
                    I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

                    Comment

                    • shenjoku
                      Wubalubadubdub
                      • May 2005
                      • 1697

                      #55
                      Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                      What's the blue holy ring supposed to do then? It says take no damage from zora fire, but the river zoras still did damage. Is that something else? What else could it possibly be? O.o
                      boop

                      Comment

                      • igotrhythm
                        Fractals!
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 6535

                        #56
                        Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                        The Blue Holy Ring specifically protects you from damage from their fireballs. You'll still flash and get knocked back if you're hit, though.

                        For you speedrunners out there, if you burn the wall to the left of the crossroads room in Spirit's Grave (where you find the compass), you'll find a room with a chest that has the Power Ring L-1 in it.

                        For you completionists, the compass in Seasons Level 6 is in the upper-left corner in the room with the moving platforms and the Beamos.
                        Last edited by igotrhythm; 11-5-2013, 04:27 PM.
                        Originally posted by thesunfan
                        I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

                        Comment

                        • shenjoku
                          Wubalubadubdub
                          • May 2005
                          • 1697

                          #57
                          Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                          Thanks for the tips Gonna be three-hearting seasons over the weekend. Should be fun!
                          boop

                          Comment

                          • DragonIIDX
                            Not dragon, but dinosaur
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 916

                            #58
                            Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                            I guess if you pre-order A Link Between Worlds, you get a free DLC code for Seasons. I might have to do that to check this game out. I haven't really played much of the 2D Zelda games. I own A Link to the Past and Four Swords, but still didn't beat them yet... ugh. So much 2D Zelda I need to catch up on.


                            Originally posted by clasko1000
                            banned for having an affair with peach
                            Originally posted by dAnceguy117
                            d-guy and d-guy skype pals 10/15/13
                            Simfiles Updated 11/30/13

                            Comment

                            • shenjoku
                              Wubalubadubdub
                              • May 2005
                              • 1697

                              #59
                              Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                              Link to the past is still my absolute favorite out of all of the Zelda games <3 Sucks you can't three heart run it though since you're forced to get the containers after each boss

                              EDIT: Just finished the first dungeon in Seasons. SO many throwbacks to the original Zelda game haha.
                              Last edited by shenjoku; 11-9-2013, 11:47 AM.
                              boop

                              Comment

                              • igotrhythm
                                Fractals!
                                • Sep 2004
                                • 6535

                                #60
                                Re: 3DS Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons

                                The throwbacks were probably my favorite part. You'll see more as the game progresses, but that's not to say Ages doesn't have its inspirations. (The Skull Dungeon boss is Patra from the original Death Mountain, for example. I prefer calling him Eyesoar.)

                                Oh, forgot another one: The map in Level 3 is through a bombed-out wall section on the second floor. You'll know where to put the bomb from the tiles surrounding the place...it's in the room with the Moldorms, north of the rabbits. (They're immune to your sword, but it is useful for keeping them in a corner and then having a bomb blast finish them.)
                                Originally posted by thesunfan
                                I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

                                Comment

                                Working...