How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • thechild
    FFR Player
    • Feb 2007
    • 1642

    #31
    Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

    Haha never realized that Gaus master is such a ***.

    The rate you play on does not show your skill level at all. It just depends. I prefer 2.0x because the point of rates is to spread out the notes so the player can interpret them easily. 2.0x spreads them out about just enough for every song in the game, 2.25x works for FGOs. Any rates higher are pointless and will cause you to miss more often.

    PS: I quit and only play at llama_llama 's house sometimes. Don't bother checking my 6 month old song scores.

    EDIT: Everyone stops posting in the threads I post in after I post. D: . I guess I'm a hated person around here lol.
    Last edited by thechild; 11-30-2008, 09:10 PM.

    Comment

    • Blue Bird
      FFR Veteran
      • Dec 2007
      • 377

      #32
      Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

      Originally posted by thechild
      EDIT: Everyone stops posting in the threads I post in after I post. D: . I guess I'm a hated person around here lol.
      I'LL save you! ;O

      Just a side not, the margin of error doesn't change with speed mods. They just become easier to see, which is what makes people better.

      Also, if you want to try it, you can go play 1.0x and cut the screen - it's a lot easier to play that way, and some people do just that.

      Comment

      • TC_llama499
        Resident Rock Climber
        • Feb 2008
        • 1573

        #33
        Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

        Originally posted by thechild

        EDIT: Everyone stops posting in the threads I post in after I post. D: . I guess I'm a hated person around here lol.
        no one is posting because this explanes it perfect.

        Originally posted by Xiaounlimited
        And you should know just as well as I do that generally speaking, the best players do not use anything higher than 2x on FFR, because that's like C1000. Even top tier players don't play that fast, because frankly, there is no point.

        I play 1.75, which is supposed to be C525, but because of the vertical dimension being so small, it's like C600 (my preferred speed). I know for a fact I am better than you, and I assure you I probably play less than you do.

        Higher speedmod =/= skill. Think of it like this:



        Your skill will deteriorate after a point.

        Comment

        • Xiaounlimited
          Eaguru
          • Jul 2005
          • 2832

          #34
          Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

          Originally posted by Blue Bird
          Also, if you want to try it, you can go play 1.0x and cut the screen - it's a lot easier to play that way, and some people do just that.
          Pseudo-speedmods (i.e. screencutting) serve no real purpose compared to actual speedmods other than bragging rights. Seeing fewer arrows at once emulates the idea of speedmods, but does not actually spread them out]. The functionality really, is questionable when you have real modifiers available; but I suppose I can't be one to question traditionalists.

          I have tried screencutting, and yes, it does help when playing on 1x. But once you start playing songs with compressed notes (songs like FN, Ketsarku, Nanairov2, ERx8v2 etc) it becomes a garbled mess very very few people will be able to read, and fewer still able to hit properly.

          To be frank, I don't know any extremely skilled players who screencut. Find me one who can SDG FMOs or FGOs, and I will take my word back against screencutting. Otherwise, I do not recommend it.
          Why would you put that in your signature? You've lost your signature rights for a month. (You'll get them back on March 10th, 2012.)

          Comment

          • Blue Bird
            FFR Veteran
            • Dec 2007
            • 377

            #35
            Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

            Yes, I wasn't trying to compare speed mods with screen-cutting. The fact is, screen-cutting does help A LOT, and if we didn't have speed mods, I'm pretty sure most good players out there would be doing it.

            And yeah, of course if you get EXTREME cases like Frictional Nevada, 1x looks messed up. I saw an old video on YouTube of a person playing Gradeus on 1x, and I questioned myself if that was even the same stepfile as the one in FFR. It looked like FMO! Gawd knows how people manage to hit perfect jacks in songs like AIM Anthem at that speed. =.=

            Comment

            • MikeShinoda12345
              *\(^o^)/*
              • Oct 2008
              • 1890

              #36
              Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

              I tried screencutting once, and got frickin owned. I currently and switching between 1.5 or 1.75.

              Comment

              • Xiaounlimited
                Eaguru
                • Jul 2005
                • 2832

                #37
                Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                Originally posted by Blue Bird
                The fact is, screen-cutting does help A LOT, and if we didn't have speed mods, I'm pretty sure most good players out there would be doing it.
                I'm willing to wager they'd end up playing StepMania instead out of frustration, given that almost every other key/button smashing game in existence has offered up speed mods in one way or another.

                Only button smashing games that would be an exception to this I would think are GH/RB.
                Why would you put that in your signature? You've lost your signature rights for a month. (You'll get them back on March 10th, 2012.)

                Comment

                • MrRubix
                  FFR Player
                  • Oct 2026
                  • 8340

                  #38
                  Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                  1.5x and 1.75x are good. Anything else, imo, is putting you at a disadvantage. The low framerate of FFR is a huge bottleneck. If the arrows are too close together, you're dealing with a few pixels worth of distance per unit time, and, given that the arrows aren't going to be synced all that well to the music due to the inherently low framerate, it's likely not going to be an optimal speed to use. The difference between a Good and a Perfect is more difficult to discern.

                  At high speedmods, the low framerate is just going to slaughter you because, within the visible region, you just don't see enough of the arrows necessary to trigger the necessary reflexes in time. It's hard enough to do in Stepmania, let alone FFR, where the framerate is lower.

                  So, 1.5x and 1.75x are reasonable because you have fewer arrows on screen (and therefore, the important arrows that you actually have to hit become your primary focus, and all the extra crap you'd see on 1x is not even visible here), and there is sufficient visual feedback for determining how you should be adjusting your taps. If you're hitting too early, it's pretty easy to tell -- if you're hitting too late, it's also easy to tell. But on faster/slower speeds, it's just too annoying and difficult to try to improve under such conditions.
                  Last edited by MrRubix; 12-1-2008, 08:01 AM.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0es0Mip1jWY

                  Comment

                  • Xiaounlimited
                    Eaguru
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 2832

                    #39
                    Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                    Originally posted by MrRubix
                    1.5x and 1.75x are good. Anything else, imo, is putting you at a disadvantage.

                    ...

                    So, 1.25x and 1.5x are reasonable
                    uh
                    Why would you put that in your signature? You've lost your signature rights for a month. (You'll get them back on March 10th, 2012.)

                    Comment

                    • MeaCulpa
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 841

                      #40
                      Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                      I do use screencut, but only a bit on 1.75x since 2.0 is too fast, and 1.75 full screen slaughters my PA (I'm C630-640 on SM). 1.85 would be ideal, but 1.75 + cut essentially serves the same purpose.

                      Comment

                      • MrRubix
                        FFR Player
                        • Oct 2026
                        • 8340

                        #41
                        Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                        Sorry, that was a typo Xiao. I meant 1.5 and 1.75 in the last paragraph. Fixed.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0es0Mip1jWY

                        Comment

                        • TopherYohh
                          FFR Veteran
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 157

                          #42
                          Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                          Your reflex.

                          Comment

                          • PlaceboFX
                            FFR Player
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 151

                            #43
                            Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                            All I know is that if I even try to play without a speed mod, it is like epic fail. I can't process all of the notes when they are so close together moving so slowly.
                            Originally posted by Tater Tot


                            Real spiders wear their hats on their butts.

                            Comment

                            • bballa48
                              FFR Veteran
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 1496

                              #44
                              Re: How come when you are playing at 1.25x or 1.5x of speed , you play better?

                              Originally posted by Xiaounlimited
                              Pseudo-speedmods (i.e. screencutting) serve no real purpose compared to actual speedmods other than bragging rights. Seeing fewer arrows at once emulates the idea of speedmods, but does not actually spread them out]. The functionality really, is questionable when you have real modifiers available; but I suppose I can't be one to question traditionalists.

                              I have tried screencutting, and yes, it does help when playing on 1x. But once you start playing songs with compressed notes (songs like FN, Ketsarku, Nanairov2, ERx8v2 etc) it becomes a garbled mess very very few people will be able to read, and fewer still able to hit properly.

                              To be frank, I don't know any extremely skilled players who screencut. Find me one who can SDG FMOs or FGOs, and I will take my word back against screencutting. Otherwise, I do not recommend it.
                              I am pretty sure Tass screencuts, and I would consider him a very good player. Back when I screencutted I AAA'd NWE.. and now I don't think I could do it again. In fact, I think I was better screencutting than I am now with 1.75x.
                              "Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane!"
                              Learn to run when feeling the pain: then push harder.

                              Comment

                              Working...