The "How did you step that?" Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bluguerrilla
    FFR Player
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Apr 2006
    • 3966

    #46
    Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

    Play it at .5x and it's a normal, fun file.

    Comment

    • Zybanthia
      FFR Player
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Dec 2008
      • 809

      #47
      Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

      Play it at .5x and get banned for arrow slowdown.

      P.S. I know you meant Stepmania but why would I bother to download it for Stepmania

      Comment

      • L0NEvvolf
        FFR Veteran
        • Nov 2006
        • 2068

        #48
        Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

        I have an of topic question. What is a song that if stepped it would be a guru or masters only, and would have sections for each thing? I mean like jacks could be at one part, jumps at another, trills, jumpstream, rolls.... ect. I would really like to try stepping something like this

        Comment

        • bluguerrilla
          FFR Player
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Apr 2006
          • 3966

          #49
          Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

          Well, p. much every DnB/breakbeat song. The problem is that it takes determination to get through the stepping at 0.4x so that you don't miss random **** you may not notice at first glance at a higher rate. Not that I'm saying you should step things that you can't hear at 1.0x because you really shouldn't but you're more likely to get it right the first time at 0.4x or whatever.

          This song can be found free on crd so I'm just going to post a link to the cut I made.

          Can't remember if I sent it to anyone else to step but you're welcome to try.

          Last edited by bluguerrilla; 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM.

          Comment

          • TC_Halogen
            Rhythm game specialist.
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Music Producer
            • Feb 2008
            • 19376

            #50
            Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

            I still would like a class on proper layering.

            I understand PR, but the patterns that I come out with layering on top of it are just plain ugly.

            And another thing, I need to figure out how to step certain parts of a song a way that suits the general difficulty of the rest of the file as well, that's another problem I tend to have.

            Fixing these two things would probably make me a much better KB stepper. >_>;

            Comment

            • Zybanthia
              FFR Player
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Dec 2008
              • 809

              #51
              Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

              Originally posted by TC_Halogen
              I understand PR, but the patterns that I come out with layering on top of it are just plain ugly.
              It may not be you. PR can make ugly patterns in itself; combined with layering, it can really be messed up. It also depends, of course, on the specific song you're stepping. Some pitch relevant patterns lend themselves well to jumps, and some don't. Sometimes it's just knowing when to say "screw PR." There are plenty of fun files that aren't always PR.

              Comment

              • TC_Halogen
                Rhythm game specialist.
                FFR Simfile Author
                FFR Music Producer
                • Feb 2008
                • 19376

                #52
                Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

                Yeah--it's just so hard to combine so many notes into only four arrows. =l

                Solo stepping is so much easier for me.

                Comment

                • bluguerrilla
                  FFR Player
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 3966

                  #53
                  Re: The "How did you step that?" Thread

                  Being able to say "screw layering" is also very important with some tracks. I mean, global consistency and even local consistency can totally **** you over in terms of playability and prettiness.

                  I went through like 5 different versions of Integraation before I got the right type of layering to keep it nice and simple but also pretty consistent throughout (yeah roll patterns idcl2PAnubsjk<3). That's not a very good example because, at least in my section, the layering doesn't really change that much. But I did sacrifice some rolls for the layering (which isn't that bad of a thing). If I could do it over again, I'd probably change a lot in that file.

                  Comment

                  • Vote4Nixon
                    Simdeist
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 230

                    #54
                    Re: The &quot;How did you step that?&quot; Thread

                    Originally posted by dood gone krazee
                    Anyone want the theory on RATO? Lmao.
                    You know what's cool? Capitalize every other letter in the word "reaction" starting with R and take out all lower case letters...
                    Originally posted by championanwar
                    Footbull, you just got PANDAPOP'D!
                    It's Super effective!


                    FFR Widget Songs
                    Wiggers are for wiggers...

                    Comment

                    • TC_Halogen
                      Rhythm game specialist.
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      FFR Music Producer
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 19376

                      #55
                      Re: The &quot;How did you step that?&quot; Thread

                      It's a sign.

                      So--now someone needs to make a song called Reaction, and make it harder than Rato. (!) That was sarcasm, I swear to god DON'T DO IT.

                      Comment

                      • championanwar
                        Ask Nuro! x3
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        FFR Music Producer
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 2588

                        #56
                        Re: The &quot;How did you step that?&quot; Thread

                        Originally posted by dood gone krazee
                        Anyone want the theory on RATO? Lmao.
                        I'd like to know.

                        Originally posted by aperson
                        all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
                        aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
                        aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
                        Click Here

                        Comment

                        • L0NEvvolf
                          FFR Veteran
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 2068

                          #57
                          Re: The &quot;How did you step that?&quot; Thread

                          Ok one other thing, with this file I stepped. I stepped it with really good PR in my opinion, and put a jump on each of the louder sounds. It seems to flow quite nicely, but I just wanted to know if I put the jacks in the right place. I put them every time it seemed to make the same sound, just a little quieter then the jump of the sound.

                          If so do you think that the file could get into FFR after I take out the last part? Also how do I end a SM file? Some of mine go on for like a minute after the song ends.

                          Comment

                          • bluguerrilla
                            FFR Player
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Apr 2006
                            • 3966

                            #58
                            Re: The &quot;How did you step that?&quot; Thread

                            A song with racism in the title will not be allowed in FFR.

                            Also, song sucks and I didn't play the chart but if it's just single piano notes there should not be any jumps in the entire simfile.

                            Also, what Patashu said in the comments.

                            Also, stepping something like that just to '[make] it harder' is a lame excuse for not actually thinking about what you're doing.

                            Also, comments like this don't really belong in this thread, they belong in jx's 'play my simfile' thread and stuff. This thread is for explaining why you do what you do and asking other people why they do what they do (or did).

                            Comment

                            • Vote4Nixon
                              Simdeist
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 230

                              #59
                              Re: The &quot;How did you step that?&quot; Thread

                              Originally posted by bluguerrilla
                              Well, p. much every DnB/breakbeat song.
                              DnB/breakbeat is really good for incorporating all that stuff (jacks, trills, jumps, JS, rolls, etc) all together but unless you try hard, I don't think it would be good for breaking that stuff up into "sections."

                              I think the best way to go is really boring techno at a high BPM. You can make streamy steps, change it to streams w/ trills, break it into jump sections, and put jumps on every 4th note in the stream lawl insta-JS. See stuff like macgravel's The Prototype, or Vertex BETA, or Fleeting Fantasy.

                              Also, you can try songs that were "intended" for that purpose, like Arch0wl's Blur, but that's harder to find.

                              EDIT:
                              Yeah, and what blu said in the previous post...
                              Last edited by Vote4Nixon; 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM.
                              Originally posted by championanwar
                              Footbull, you just got PANDAPOP'D!
                              It's Super effective!


                              FFR Widget Songs
                              Wiggers are for wiggers...

                              Comment

                              • PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
                                Threat Emulation
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                • May 2004
                                • 5184

                                #60
                                Re: The &quot;How did you step that?&quot; Thread

                                Originally posted by bluguerrilla
                                Being able to say "screw layering" is also very important with some tracks. I mean, global consistency and even local consistency can totally **** you over in terms of playability and prettiness.
                                This is pretty much how I step all my songs... Then you come along and tell me where I can layer and I'm all like "wha?" so then you do it for me and we call it a collab

                                Originally posted by Lightdarkness
                                I'm light f**king darkness

                                Comment

                                Working...