Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-6-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan
Default GameFAQs may get a lot of guff for it's forums...

But now that I reflect on it, it easily has the best moderation system of any forum I go to.

Stop and think about it for one moment. Compare GameFAQs to, say, BemaniStyle, Arch's site, or here.

The Gfaqs moderation system - both choosing members and actual moderating - is incredibly impersonal. The mods are chosen based on who Ceej thinks would do the best job, not who has done a lot for some non-forum section of GameFAQs or someone who is a close personal friend (a VERY rare occurance as seen from my personal wandering of internet forum "life"). And those mods don't openly get incredibly pissed at stupid users for whatever reason - they either ignore them or suspend them and watch the impending ban take place.

Don't worry, this is going somewhere.

I don't want any/all of the staff here thinking I'm attacking them. And no, I'm not whining I don't have a staff position, so don't jump to that conclusion either. I just happened to read the part of chardish's post in the locked anime girl topic where he wondered aloud why he wasn't a mod.

As I saw it, I have to wonder that myself.

chardish is easily the best qualified non-staff member on this site right now for a mod position. He's active, he doesn't act stupid, he doesn't take shit from anyone, he knows what needs to be locked and what doesn't, and he conducts himself better than 99.6% of the forum population.

There can't possibly be a room issue because (a) soccr743 was added to the staff recently, and (b) 12 or 13 mods for a site with this many members isn't too many, especially considering several mods are inactive.

I can't think of a single reason why chardish shouldn't be a mod. I doubt anyone reading this topic can.

And I currently can't think of anyone more qualified.

So why isn't he? =\
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

I honestly have no idea. I think he would make a great mod too. But it isnt up to me to decide.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
TACODUDE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TACODUDE

We could use people like him on the staff. I mean, he IS the voice of reason...

I LOVE POKEMON! LOL
TACODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

I always thought chardish was going to be a mod before me, but as jewpin said, Synth has the final say in everything.
Old 08-6-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilga
chardish is easily the best qualified non-staff member on this site right now for a mod position. He's active, he doesn't act stupid, he doesn't take shit from anyone, he knows what needs to be locked and what doesn't, and he conducts himself better than 99.6% of the forum population.
He's not the only one who isn't a complete idiot. I rarely act foolish, and when I do it's when I'm joking around, and after the joking, I usually have something serious to say. I'm sure there are many other regulars who conduct themselves in a similar manner.
Old 08-6-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
Privateer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Privateer

I'm surprised too, because he's closely tied with the staff here anyway, and that seems to be one of the big deciding factors.
Old 08-6-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

I predicted he'd be modded quite a while back. As of late, that's the only mod prediction I've gotten wrong so far, and I've wondered why as well.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2004, 09:27 PM   #8
IAMTHEEVILBEAN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to IAMTHEEVILBEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilga
He's not the only one who isn't a complete idiot. I rarely act foolish, and when I do it's when I'm joking around, and after the joking, I usually have something serious to say. I'm sure there are many other regulars who conduct themselves in a similar manner.
No.

And I always think of Chardish as a mod. He just seems like one. He would be good for the position.
IAMTHEEVILBEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2004, 09:28 PM   #9
dmleet
FFR Player

You should stop thinking for a moment too that GameFAQs is ran by a person who makes a lot of money so he better do a good job, or else his site won't be as big as it is. Don't compare it to a little-to-no profit one; it's not major business being talked about here. Picking moderators in such a place is a meticulous decision, whatever you may think about message boards, that can be a big or small influence to a website (but let me assure that it makes people go to the site more often). Unlike here... We'll see if this site evolves into something the owner can benefit on. By then, maybe he'll take things a little more on to something he can take advantage of, like making money.

And as for chardish, he at least should have the power to lock topics.
Old 08-6-2004, 09:49 PM   #10
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Why is it such a big deal?
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2004, 09:54 PM   #11
Privateer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Privateer

It's not. Clearly if nothing will be done about FFR's problems, there's no point in caring.
Old 08-7-2004, 03:47 AM   #12
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN

Its not a question of whether Chardish should be a mod (my vote, yes, if FFR actually needs another one), its whether the FFR forums need another moderator. The forums are nicely cared for, and if needed, you can get a mod instantly at peak hours, and sometimes at non-peak. Adding a mod messes with the dynamics of a forum, since you effectively remove an active user.

From my experience, the best forums are the ones with just enough moderators. If they can take care of business fine, then there's nothing stopping your forum from growing. Once you hit that equilibrium, then dont fix what aint broken.

About soccr being added, do you think he's going to do any active moderating? Maybe in a pinch, but I think he's going to leave the moderation those who were specifically ment to do it.
SotN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2004, 05:10 AM   #13
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
he knows what needs to be locked and what doesn't
I disagree. He's IMed me a lot of times asking me about locking something when I really felt it had no need to be locked whatsoever. And often, he complains about a topic being locked when it really should not be.

If chardish is a mod, this forum will turn into DDRUK. It practically did when he was a mod in the IRC channel.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2004, 09:20 AM   #14
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

I like Chardish, I really do, but what Arch said is right... the IRC channel was a few steps shy of DDRUK when he was an op there.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2004, 09:57 AM   #15
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotN
About soccr being added, do you think he's going to do any active moderating? Maybe in a pinch, but I think he's going to leave the moderation those who were specifically ment to do it.
To the best of my knowlage, soccr has moderated 5-10 topics since being a mod.
Old 08-7-2004, 10:38 AM   #16
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS

Chardish "The Mod" McLastname.

I like it.

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2004, 10:41 AM   #17
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

You guys, everyone in the IRC channel was an idiot. You can't use that as an example. I mean literally everyone did stupid stuff constantly. Who remembers the time Ana muted everyone in the chat and left? Or the time Boneti banned Jurseyrider for no reason? Or when LD (I think it was him) tried to kick someone and ended up banning him, and didn't know the command to unban? The IRC channel is different than the forums.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2004, 10:47 AM   #18
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

lol anti, kinda hard to get the kick button and the ban button confused
Old 08-7-2004, 06:42 PM   #19
Mwerp
Banned

Quote:
Compare GameFAQs to, say, BemaniStyle
Quote:
The Gfaqs moderation system - both choosing members and actual moderating - is incredibly impersonal. The mods are chosen based on who Ceej thinks would do the best job, not who has done a lot for some non-forum section of GameFAQs or someone who is a close personal friend (a VERY rare occurance as seen from my personal wandering of internet forum "life").
Wait so are you saying that this is how GameFAQs differs from bemanistyle? Am I missing something?
Mwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2004, 06:48 PM   #20
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN

/alias /kb1 /ban #flashflashrevolution $1 | /kick #flashflashrevolution $2-
/kb1 *!*@dsl-127-0-0-1.lightdarkness42.com lightdarkness only nubs use buttons
* SotN sets mode +b *!*@dsl-127-0-0-1.lightdarkness42.com
* lightdarkness was kicked by SotN (only nubs use buttons)