Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-3-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
ashleychauntel
FFR Player

Default Film Project/Music Video

I did this short music video for my film class. I have another coming up this month and want to know what people think. Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions???

Rate it on YouTube please! And leave comments there if you have an account!!!

As for info on the video: The idea is based on the intro track to The Mars Volta cd De-loused In The Comatorium. Wikipedia it if you want to know more.

Thanks!

Check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2x7H4n08xA
Old 04-3-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic
Default Re: Film Project/Music Video

Doesn't belong in music. Watch your forum placement from now on.

also i only briefly glanced at it but the camerawork looked really bad

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

I'm sure the storyboard (if there is one) for this makes it out a lot better than this.

Protip: the whole black and white grainy old film look just makes it look ****ty. Not introspective or serious or whatever you were going for.

Also, as Tokzic said, bad camera work. Get someone with a steady hand AND A ****ING TRIPOD.

oh and when using rule of thirds, I dont know about you, but I dont like seeing someone walking toward the right on the right side of the screen. When 2/3 of the screen is in front of the person, it's a lot better than when it's BEHIND them.

ps the action is kind of really slow moving and really repetitive and also unexplained, but it really seems like you've gone out of your way to make it like that.
Old 04-3-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
ashleychauntel
FFR Player

I want to start out by saying the camera work was supposed to be shaky. That was intentional.
[I actually have a very steady hand when need be, check out my first music video, that was shot digitally on my YouTube account if you think I'm just b.s.-ing you. Almost 75% of it was shot without a tripod.]

Second, this was shot on actual film - Kodak black and white reversal film actually. The grainy film look tends to happen when working with film.

The weird angles and whatnot were also supposed to be that way. I know, it doesn't follow all of the rules that they teach in film and video classes, but the point was to be experimental. And the zooming, which I know isn't that great is done with a tiny lever, about half the size of your index finger, so, for a first time I don't think it was too terrible. The camera was a Bolex, if you know anything at all about film cameras. It's not like working with digital equipment, at all, hence the reason I was asking for thoughts and opinions in regard to shooting film. Not people to bash without reason.

Last edited by ashleychauntel; 04-3-2008 at 11:22 AM..
ashleychauntel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleychauntel View Post
Second, this was shot on actual film - Kodak black and white reversal film actually. The grainy film look tends to happen when working with film.
I'm aware.

It still looks bad for it, and still fails to effectively convey the message you're trying to get across with it. You're better off just using normal digital equipment, or if you must use film, get a better quality and color or something.

And with digital work, you can do subtle things like desaturation and it won't be so obvious and distracting.

ps
Quote:
I know, it doesn't follow all of the rules that they teach in film and video classes, but the point was to be experimental.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're better for it. Sometimes what everyone else does is done specifically because that is the best way to do it.
Old 04-3-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
ashleychauntel
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I'm aware.

It still looks bad for it, and still fails to effectively convey the message you're trying to get across with it. You're better off just using normal digital equipment, or if you must use film, get a better quality and color or something.

It is for a film class, therefore, I really don't see how I'm supposed to use digital equipment and pass.

And second of all, this is the grain and stock we were supposed to use. He didn't want us to spend a small fortune when it was everyone's first project, and there were chances that some people may have ruined their stock so easily. Working with film is a lot more expensive than video.

I get the feeling that you are not as well informed about film, or film classes and projects as you first implied in earlier responses.
Old 04-3-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

With my video class though i'm in Video one i see that the shaking work for this one becuase of the wind noise i heard. What i saw of it it didn't sound synced to the music which my techer has this petpeve about. Also the shots were not transitioned as the action started it seamed.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

In my video class we're filming a music video. Well, we're making the video but using the pre-made audio.
I chose Piano Man by Billy Joel. The thing is, when you're making a video, make sure that you get plenty of reaction shots. My persoanl favorite is getting a medium reaction over the shoulder shot. But they're important becasue it's the audiences only insight to the characters mind ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleychauntel View Post
It is for a film class, therefore, I really don't see how I'm supposed to use digital equipment and pass.

And second of all, this is the grain and stock we were supposed to use. He didn't want us to spend a small fortune when it was everyone's first project, and there were chances that some people may have ruined their stock so easily. Working with film is a lot more expensive than video.

I get the feeling that you are not as well informed about film, or film classes and projects as you first implied in earlier responses.
Why the hell would they have a class wherein you are required to work in film.

Film is antiquated. It should only exist on that level for hobbies and non-serious endeavors. In addition, you will ALWAYS be better off with practice in digital experience than old techniques with film. There is nothing that film does that digital doesn't do better.

The only thing I can figure is that your school is refusing to upgrade to digital equipment due to poorness or stubborn stupidity, or they're simply offering a worthless class that will get you nowhere in particular (compared to a similar class built around modern tech). I assure you that someone who took an AV class based around digital technology would more easily get a job in the selected field than someone who simply knows the TRADE of working with film.

Quote:
Working with film is a lot more expensive than video.
Thank you for agreeing with me that digital video is better.