Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
flashMaster10
FFR Player

Default Mother of god?

i was playing mother of god and i got thinking. for the people that think jesus is god, how can there be a mother of god? discuss
Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179
Default Re: Mother of god?

if jesus is god. then virgin mary is the mother of god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
IaMtHeEaStErBuNnY
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to IaMtHeEaStErBuNnY Send a message via MSN to IaMtHeEaStErBuNnY

dude i tried one of these god issues last night, look at the thread "what IF god was one of us?"... they get a bit touchy on this subject, obviously they assume were trying to start controversy instead of GENUINELY trying to have an intelligent conversation... some ppl can just be petty... supremely petty... i can just guess that this thread will be closed in a lil while, with some degrading comment from a mod telling you that this isnt suitable material for a post... but u know what, at least we tried...

but to the question, before this is closed, im not exactly sure about it... im an athiest... i dont believe in any god or higher power... but it does get you to thinking about the validity and history of it all... if god is the supreme being, the first... the creator of all life and the cosmos, etc... how could there be a mother of god... certainly she would reign even more supreme right??? so in fact SHE would be god... its a good question flash... whats your point on it???

Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
RandomPscho
FFR Player

I think most theists would say god has been and always will be so there is no need for a 'mother.' A mother in this case is the equivalent to a creator...
Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159

Here's my take on it, some religions believe that there is infact a heavenly mother with a heavenly father (God) and that she is just not discussed because it would only allow us to use her name in vain like society does so often with God's name. Also, i dont know what to believe on the matter, but it could be possible for God to have parents if you believe in the Mormon plan of salvation and an infinite past. So in my opinion, yes, there could be a mother of God but it is a touchy subject because everyones belief on the matter comes from their own assumptions and connections since there is no book that i know that speaks of it (nothing like the bible or the book of mormon is what i meant).

Old 03-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
IaMtHeEaStErBuNnY
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to IaMtHeEaStErBuNnY Send a message via MSN to IaMtHeEaStErBuNnY

hmmm... interesting take on the mormon POV... and i do believe to this day people do take both god and the MOG name in vain... ive heard a couple times the phrase "oh heavenly mother of god........." and such... but in fact, if what i said before might be true, and the MOG is the ultimate, she would in fact be god and jesus would in fact BE the god that has been revered... i dunno if that makes any sense to the rest of you, but in my mind it kinda does... idk... this is a thinker lol... props flash!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Neonatrias
MAЯISA
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Neonatrias Send a message via Yahoo to Neonatrias Send a message via Skype™ to Neonatrias

I was raised a Catholic, and do still believe in a sort of high power, but cannot justifiably claim to be a Catholic. Still, I'll do my best to explain my take on this.

As I was taught it, Jesus is a part of the Trinity -- that is, God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit (I'm not sure if this can be 'God the Holy Spirit.' I've never heard it as such.). Catholicism simply labels these into God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Supposedly three sections of the same being, each with different purposes. From what I can figure (Prayers, Biblical teachings, etc.), the Father -- God -- is the creator, residing in Heaven and supposedly answering all our prayers in some way or other. The Holy Spirit is on earth at this moment, and will only return to Heaven at the end of time.

Christ, the Son, is still God. Catholicism teaches that he was also human. 100% God, and 100% human. Strange, illogical, but that's the way the teaching is, so we'll assume that to be true for the purposes here. Obviously, if Christ is going to be walking around on earth, he would need a physical body, yes? Therefore, when we apply the term "Mother of God" to Mary, we mean that Mary gave birth to Christ's physical being. The spirit of Christ had already existed, as a part of God -- that part was not "born."

Make sense, kind of?

Also, on the terms of an actual "mother of God" (That is, one God, one ultimate deity, born by another being) there are a number of philosophical arguments regarding God. One of the most common concerns the necessity of a "first mover." It argues that the universe operates on consistent causes and effects, sort of like dominoes. However, if we look back to this first mover -- God -- who started God? The first mover must have had someone move him, right?

Most arguments for the existence of God hit a roadblock when it comes to the "beginning of time." It's simply because we cannot comprehend what we do not experience -- No human has ever experienced anything outside of existence. If we knew what things were like before the "beginning," we might have a clearer view or some idea on which to define our "first mover."

I know this post went off on a lot of tangents, but I tried to encompass everything within the original post, given that it did leave open a lot of loose ends.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
Reighn
FFR Player

Neonatrias,

Nice, breaking out St. Thomas Aquinas on the people, lol. The Five proofs are interesting to say the least. They argue that everything has rhyme and reason and did have a begining, atleast our physical universe. Nothing moves without a mover, nothing creates itself without a creator, contingent beings and necessary being must coexist for survival, the degrees of perfection, and lastly, the laws of nature, physics, everything work on such a complex level, there had to be an intelligent designer.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
rel89
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rel89

And here I thought this was a thread about the song 'Mother of God'.
Good song.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IaMtHeEaStErBuNnY View Post
dude i tried one of these god issues last night, look at the thread "what IF god was one of us?"... they get a bit touchy on this subject, obviously they assume were trying to start controversy instead of GENUINELY trying to have an intelligent conversation... some ppl can just be petty... supremely petty...
Actually, it's because your thread was retarded and was not critical thinking.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
pntballa18
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to pntballa18 Send a message via Skype™ to pntballa18

Does anyone think Jesus is God?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Easter, quit being a baby and keep your crying out of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntballa18
Does anyone think Jesus is God?
That's like saying "Is anyone Christian?" What was the point of that question?

Neon got most of what needed to be said. Jesus is God, Mary was chosen by God to give birth to Jesus, and then did. As such, Mary is the virgin mother of God.

Now, if you are talking about the mother of the triune God, well, that just falls into the realm of complete speculation, kind of like, "If red weren't red, what color would it be?" That's not really a topic for discussion...

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
pntballa18
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to pntballa18 Send a message via Skype™ to pntballa18

Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God, not that he is God himself.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
RB_Dreamscanner
☭Retired Top One Hander☭
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to RB_Dreamscanner

god needs a mother, and gods mothers mother needs a mother and so on lol

Retired, Finished at rank 295, Top one hander on FFR
Old 03-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntballa18 View Post
Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God, not that he is God himself.
You clearly don't know much about Christianity, then.

Yeah, a regular human John Doe was born of a virgin and performed many miracles such as curing blindness and leprosy, creating food, and raising people from the dead.

Totally not God.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
rel89
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rel89

Jesus=God=Satan
Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #17
flashMaster10
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post

Yeah, a regular human John Doe was born of a virgin and performed many miracles such as curing blindness and leprosy, creating food, and raising people from the dead.

Totally not God.

--Guido

guido i usually agree with you but... in christianity, jesus is not god and he is god. the old testament says he isnt. catholics say he is. just like in islam sunnis say mohhamed is the prophet but shia's believe in ali as the prophet.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post

Totally not God.

--Guido

Actually lots of christians believe in another God as well as Jesus. Which is kind of funny because they still consider themselves monothestic.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
goat6707
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to goat6707 Send a message via MSN to goat6707 Send a message via Yahoo to goat6707

hmm... God's mom must not be that grand, for she didn't do much but birth a good son

Einstein's mom
Moses's mom
Hitler's mom
Shakespeare's mom

Mother's arent an important part of history, just the fart that meets the match to create relevant entertainment.
Old 04-1-2007, 11:07 PM   #20
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159

I will say this, in the Mormon view of things Christ is not God. It was said that in premortality, Christ was chosen to come to Earth and atone for our sins as well as establishing the true church. Lucifer was also up for nomination so to say for the position of being the savior but in his viewpoint he wanted to come down and have glory unto himself and MAKE everyone righteous so to speak. Christ however expressed that he would give all glory unto God almighty and would atone for the sins of the world so that we may repent and live with God and Christ again. This supports the idea of Monotheism in that Christ was chosen to come down and be the literal physical son of God and with powers bestowed unto him through God by means of blessings he was able to help heal the people on Earth with such powers. Now these powers (although not as potent) can also be referred to as the priesthood as in the Mormon church. All miracles are then essentially described as coming directly from God through a medium (Christ) to the physical world. Thus showing that Christ himself is indeed not God. However, it is also believed that after leading a righteous life and doing all that God asks you will reach the highest stage of the celestial kingdom as described in the Mormon Plan of Salvation in which place you and your eternal spouse will become as God's, being able to create planets and stars such as God can. If you think of it like this then you can see that perhaps the God we know of is such a being that has reached the highest degree of glory in which he can create life and planets. Such thinking would lead someone to conclude that God has a spouse. You could then ASSUME as it has not been stated anywhere that God could have been a child of his Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother. However, this is a shaky matter because no where does it say that God was not created from another being (no where that i know of that is) and there is every reason to believe that is the first and the last. Concluding that God has a mother then is purely an individual assumption and personal belief.
Many of the things i have discussed have come from me and not necessarily the church itself. Do not think to quote me and assume that what i said is what all mormons believe for i used my own knowledge and did not quote directly any piece of doctrine. As for my opinion, i do not believe that God has a mother but i do not hold that to be a fact and i leave the possibility open in my mind.

Last edited by slipstrike0159; 04-1-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Closed Thread