Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Default Listeria death toll climbs to 10.

August 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM EDT

OTTAWA — The confirmed death toll of the listeriosis outbreak rose to 10 Saturday as federal health officials blamed the outbreak for a death that occurred in Alberta, the first such fatality from that province.

Kristen Woboditsch, 36, of Grande Prairie, Alta., died in mid-August but the listeriosis link was only confirmed by Alberta Health officials in a phone call to her mother on Friday night.

“I think everybody thinks the same thing – it won't happen to me,” Mary Hicks of South River, Ont., told CTV News on Saturday. “But unfortunately, it does happen to everyday people.”

She said finding out left her with “anger and grief, all mixed up together.”

While she said the knowledge provides some closure, it also raises many questions.

“All the food-borne illnesses that are floating around this country of ours – there's anger toward that, that Canadians have to be subjected to this type of lackadaisical attitude toward food safety.

“I want her death to be counted, and for people to know this is a real hazard out there.”

Dr. Gerry Predy, Alberta's chief medical health officer, said Ms. Woboditsch had other health problems and added he couldn't pinpoint whether listeriosis was the direct cause of death or just a contributing factor.

“Whether listeria was the actual cause or the underlying cause is very difficult to determine,” he said.

Six other deaths – four in Ontario and one each in Saskatchewan and Quebec – remain under investigation for possible links to the outbreak.

In total, 31 cases across the country have been conclusively linked to the outbreak, and an additional 32 suspected cases remain under investigation.

Health officials have linked the outbreak to meat products from Maple Leaf Foods – the company launched a massive recall of products from a Toronto plant earlier this month.

Maple Leaf took out full-page ads in newspapers Saturday, in which president Michael McCain said it was the company's expectation that all recalled products had been removed from store shelves.

Meanwhile, health officials added more products to the list of recalled items Friday night.

Dr. Brian Evans, execute vice president of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, said while it may seem that the list of recalled products is growing, the additional recalls reflect the fact that several different products were made from the recalled meat.

“Many of our recalls relate to products such as sandwiches and pre-packaged meats carrying best-before dates that have now already expired,” Dr. Evans said at a news conference Saturday afternoon.

“Nevertheless, in the public interest and in the interest of openness, we feel it is important that such info is visible.”

A complete list of the recalled products is available at www.inspection.gc.ca.

That death is in my area.

There was also two little kids who where air lifted to Vancouver Hospital from my town.

We've thrown out 300 dollars worth of meat and cheese.
And my mom is getting sick which is scary because shes a single parent.

I have eaten some stuff on the list so I really hope I dont die.

God damn listeria.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!
Default Re: Listeria death toll climbs to 10.

Oh my god, thats horrible. I live in Ottawa, and we don't eat Maple Leaf, thank god. Hopefully nobody from our family gets it ._.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjet! View Post
Oh my god, thats horrible. I live in Ottawa, and we don't eat Maple Leaf, thank god. Hopefully nobody from our family gets it ._.
The thing is its not just Maple Leaf.

here is a list of recalled products (more being added like every hour)

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...list97be.shtml
Old 08-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

Mmmm Shopsys =)

lol, they have recalled food too ;(

EDIT: You have a better chance getting into a car accident, stay away from the recalled food and you will be fine.

Last edited by Kekeb; 08-31-2008 at 09:27 PM..
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

It makes me laugh an cringe when people blame the companies that made the food. Do you not think they take all the means necessary to make sure their food is perfectly clean? They double, triple check every single piece of equipment. They are the most watched and checked companies in the world because of the nature of what they sell. They know perfectly well that any single mistake (such as this one) can cost them their entire empire and they certainly don't want bankruptcy.

People need to stop venting their frustrations by finding a culprit.

Also, if you have a good immunity system, you have absolutely nothing to fear from Listeria. People die from pneumonias and even colds every day, and yet no one talks about that.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!

Yeah, but they actually did it, and the company said that they found out that it was them.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjet! View Post
Yeah, but they actually did it, and the company said that they found out that it was them.
Yeah, but they didn't do it on purpose. Maybe it was an employee who had contracted the bacteria from somewhere and brought it in the factory.