Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-4-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
FallenXxRaven
FFR Player

Default Children and the Real World

'Twas the best title i could think of. Anyway, to the point.
Do you think it is smart for children's shows to show that everyone is nice and will always help you? I mean, sure there are many nice and honest people, but many, many more could care less and will try to cheat and steal whenever they can. What I'm saying is that all children's shows teach that the world is perfect and that nothing bad will happen, so, put bluntly, I think it is bull****.
Now dont think I'm saying that we should teach kids not to trust anyone or something like that, but don't you think we should take away the idea that the world is perfect, when it obviously isn't?
Chris Huntress 1:37 pm
I aaa'd vROFL
without any lube
FallenXxRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Children and the Real World

You've obviously never seen the episode of Sesame Street when Mr Hooper died.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
og4lif
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenXxRaven View Post
'Twas the best title i could think of. Anyway, to the point.
Do you think it is smart for children's shows to show that everyone is nice and will always help you? I mean, sure there are many nice and honest people, but many, many more could care less and will try to cheat and steal whenever they can. What I'm saying is that all children's shows teach that the world is perfect and that nothing bad will happen, so, put bluntly, I think it is bull****.
Now dont think I'm saying that we should teach kids not to trust anyone or something like that, but don't you think we should take away the idea that the world is perfect, when it obviously isn't?
I would not suggest that it is a smart decision but it's best for children to stay innocent as long as they can. Besides, it's the parents and school's responsibility to educate their children on such matters and not the television.
og4lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
FallenXxRaven
FFR Player

Rawr, Ninja'd
No, I havn't, but thats because I never watched sesame street. But that may teach that people die, but what about robbery? murder? And another thing, sure we say "dont talk to strangers" but we dont really say why, so dont you think we should educate them of what will happen to them if they do?
EDIT: I know they should stay innocent but they should at least know "you could die like Mr. Hooper (or whatever his name was)" And most parents also try to shield their kids from absolutely everything, and schools dotn exactly teach alot, and lots of kids love TV. I mean don't vividly describe a painful and bloody molestation and murder but let them know that they could sleep forever or something.
I aaa'd vROFL
without any lube

Last edited by FallenXxRaven; 09-4-2007 at 01:11 PM..
Old 09-4-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenXxRaven View Post
I mean, sure there are many nice and honest people, but many, many more could care less and will try to cheat and steal whenever they can.
Where did you get this idea? I don't know if you live in Washington D.C. or something, but I don't think THAT pessimistic of a view of the world is near accurate.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that all children's shows teach that the world is perfect and that nothing bad will happen
No they don't. They try to teach kids to be good people. They don't mention all the bad things that can happen because there's no need to pointlessly terrify little children. Seriously, what kind of show would that be? Half an hour of horrible things and someone telling the young audience that it could all happen to them. You'll make your entire audience cry and never watch again. Big boost to your goal of getting the message out about being a good person, eh?

That's not what children's shows are for. If they want to learn about the real world, they can watch Law and Order or some network news program. I wonder what kind of person you are if you really support the idea of scaring children like that.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

So...you want to expose children, immidiately to every single negative aspect of life?

How is stark raving terror a good feeling to instill in your children? They get scared enough that there's a monster in the closet.

Edit: Damn, one more ninja'd point for Guido.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Children's shows are not meant to deceive their audience. They're the first step in a gradual exposure process that shows children different aspects of the world as they grow. If everything about life was suddenly thrown at you at the age of five, it would make you miserable because you can't understand it. What children's shows do is instill morals and teach children to be the best people that they can, so that they become ready to start being exposed to the negative aspects of life, protected by the morals they now know.

Think about it. As you grew up, you gradually learned a bunch of different things about life, a bit at a time. You perhaps learned that people in love can eventually despise each other, with the divorce of your parents. You learned that people can kill heartlessly for no reason, as you begin to overhear news stories. You learned that justice isn't always served when you heard about a murderer walking free. The things you learned by watching children's shows and by your parents' instruction (morals, ethics, proper behavior, etc) are what allow you to accept these things without being taken over by them.

Long story short, children's shows are a building block in your gradual exposure to all the aspects of life, positive and negative.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
FallenXxRaven
FFR Player

I see. I wasnt allowed to watch children's shows as a child, I have no idea why, and all the ones I've seen have only conveyed messages of perfection... I should have researched more before posting.. sorry guys
*will now hide from CT for a while because he feels like an idiot*
I aaa'd vROFL
without any lube
Old 09-5-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Don't go and hide from CT. We need some new people here.

Anyways, in my experience, children's shows often have a villain, everything from the bully hoarding the swing to super-evil-dude who plots taking over the world or destorying it. Bad people are definitely portrayed in children's shows...just to counter your specific point that only good guys exist. As to perfection...well, they may tend to end perfectly, but so does adult fiction.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Don't talk to Black people kids, they'll try to sell you drugs!

Don't talk to Brown people kids, they'll try to blow you up!

Don't talk to White people kids, they'll steal your land, exploit your labor and give you horrible diseases!

Don't talk to strangers with candy kids, they'll try to stick things in your butt!

Actually, that last one is probably true...but yeah, kids have enough to worry about as it is...like getting kidnapped by a Cuban/African, or getting run over by an Asian.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote