Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-5-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
moches
FFR Player

Default random poem

I wrote this a while ago and forgot about it until I read All_That_Chaz's violin poem. Just wanted to share to see what you guys thought.

Life is a lemon
Sour and sweet
Slice it open
Suck on the meat
Feel the bitterness
Silently swear
Just remember
Life's not fair

Any comments? I dunno if a lot of people will connect with the last line. Maybe I should change it.
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds
Default Re: random poem

Don't use a contraction with the last line, because you didn't open with one in the first line. The poem is also kind of obvious, but cute. I like it, and I'm not if more subtlety is what is needed. Then again, I'm not a very good poet.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

Yes you should absolutely get rid of the contraction in the last line. Not only would that be more syntactically pretty but it would also give your poem some semblance of meter (5/4/4/4/5/4/4/4).

Your poem passes level one of my criticism. It has an idea. That idea is elaborated on in the poem. The images make sense in context and in the mind of the reader. It's kind of cute too .

So on to level two. While I applaud you for actually using syllables to give your poem a rolling feel, your stressed syllables are kind of all over the map. I kept tripping over myself while reading because the flow of the poem made me want to place stresses over different places. While I'm all for metric substitutions to bring attention to a specific line, I don't think substituting a trochee for an iamb is ever a good idea. Well, sometimes it is, but usually at the beginning of the line, not the end.
For example: (stressed syllables are bolded)
Life is a lemon
Sour and sweet
Slice it open
Suck on the meat
My mind desperately wants to put a stress on "-pen" instead of "o-" because that fits the scheme. This problem occurs again in the line, "Just remember."

Also I would either give the first line three stressed syllables or bring the fifth line down to two to give uniformity to your meter.

My only other quibble, and I'm not really certain how you'd fix this, is that your lines have kind of a rigid feel. It's hard to explain. The stop at the end of each line is like hitting a brick wall. Maybe it's because of how uniform the lines are and how short they are.

Sure it was a bit predictable but that doesn't bother me much because the meter makes it sound like a nursery rhyme anyway.

But overall good job and keep writing.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.

Last edited by All_That_Chaz; 03-6-2009 at 02:31 PM..
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
moches
FFR Player

Best criticism I've ever gotten. Thanks a bunch.
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

oPEN

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote