Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-2-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e
Default Re: Would you rather your daughter be a "tomboy" or your son be a "sissy".

My daughter hates playing with doll, but loves painting her nails, doing her hair. . .

Being yourself is fine regardless of the social norms and media bull****.

Better than being a whiny crybag, lol.
Old 11-4-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
wolf pry
FFR Player

Default Re: Would you rather your daughter be a "tomboy" or your son be a "sissy".

i would probebly have a daughter thats a tomboy
wolf pry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2010, 11:41 PM   #23
Queen_Darcy
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Well of course, when a girl explores what boys do (sports, drinking etc) it's perfectly fine, but not the other way around without being labelled.
Queen_Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2010, 11:49 PM   #24
L_eMo_N
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to L_eMo_N

I really don't think it's a good thing to even think about "how" you want your child to be. I'd love my child just the same no matter how they turn out.
L_eMo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
Rubin0
FFR Player

I was asking it more on hypothetical than a literal level. I was just trying to provoke some thoughts on the perception of gender in our society....it really had nothing to do with people's children.
Old 11-5-2010, 11:28 AM   #26
brothaice
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Literal answer: Operant Conditioning.

More relevant answer:
Eh its hard to say because those are the only two choices out of an infinite number of possibilities. But I will say I will let my child make their own choices and they will learn from that and I will love them no matter what.

I guess the thread should be renamed: "do you want to be a supporting parent or a dick?"
brothaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
Rubin0
FFR Player

I agree about being a dick or not...but adults are subject to operant conditioning as well....and it starts when they first pick up that Barbie doll or fire truck. This behavior and the reinforcement they receive for their behavior carries over into what they expect from their children. While I feel sorry for the kids with douche bag homophobic parents, I do believe people are a product of their environment.
Old 11-5-2010, 12:02 PM   #28
Mulie
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Cases where the children are conditioned into behaving that way aren't exactly the norm; nor where they do it as a form of rebellion (inherently impermanent method)... They're instead perpetuated by observational learning, if anything; both the engagement in that behaviour and the negativity surrounding it.

The general image of homosexual behaviour is stereotypical. Masculine women are expected to engage in physical activity, and to be proactive and capable. Such behaviours have positive connotations that are easily graspable. On the contrary, stereotypical femininity's superfluous and abstract in its reasoning. Hatred's always very natural about its inception, but that doesn't make it logical.
Mulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
RobertsonaIsBack
FFR Player

this thread is predicated upon a dumb basis and thus every post thus far has been dumb except mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
BUMP with our first ever Dubstep permission!!
RobertsonaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
Bill Kaulitz
FFR Player

I played with barbies and My little Pony when I was younger, but as I grew up, I got more and more Tomboyish. So to me, I'd rather have a feminine boy. He can be the girly one, rather then me.

♪ ♥ ♥ ♪

Bill Kaulitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2010, 06:54 PM   #31
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

I'd not care whether my child chose to rigidly follow a gender role or not. It means nothing about what kind of person they'd be, only about what people expect out of them. I don't give a damn what people expect out of them; the only thing I'D expect out of them is that they grow up the way I tried to raise them regardless what gender they are. I'd try to raise them to be respectful and curious when faced with a challenge to their worldview. I'd want my children to express themselves, no matter how they feel, no matter the reason, no matter how socially acceptable it is for them to do so.
Old 11-8-2010, 12:37 AM   #32
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

a society like the one we live in will always try to crush everything that slightly differs from the norm, but that shouldn't stop us. I wouldn't mind my son or my daughter to do whatever they want as long as they are aware of what they are doing.
Old 11-8-2010, 06:03 PM   #33
Rubin0
FFR Player

Here is a good link about a little boy that dressed up as a female character from Scooby Doo. Apparently, there was a lot of backlash from other parents.

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/11/08...Clink4%7C24191
Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #34
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

My Daughter is a bit of a Tomboy at a mere 19months, I would rather her grow up playing with most Boys toys than half of the Girls ones you can get (Barbie, Bratz)

I would be worried if I had a boy and at an older age (say, school age) he was a "sissy" as it just feels more socially unacceptable than a Tomboy Girl and more likely to be picked on, but that's just how I feel.

ETA: I should say if I had a Son my opinion would more than likely be completely different.
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #35
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

who cares? if you judge your child for what he or she becomes on their own, you're a ****ing shallow parent.

If my son becomes a sissy or has a more feminine side to him whatev power to him, he'll probably be having friends of the same sort.

If my daughter is a tomboy well I'm pretty sure most girls are at one point, so this really isn't an issue.

This almost falls in the category of what would you rather: your son being gay or your daughter being a lesbian.

Last edited by kommisar; 11-23-2010 at 01:02 PM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #36
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

don't care so long as they were happy
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #37
UnkownMan
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to UnkownMan Send a message via Yahoo to UnkownMan

I'd rather have my daughter be a tomboy.
At least she'd have the same interests with the boys, and not only be interested in dolls and etc...
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.
UnkownMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #38
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Publicly speaking, society has taken much more acceptance to females being "tomboys" than males being feminists. This could derive from people still clinging on to the past ways of life where all boys had to be MEN and do MANLY things and anything else was not considered right. Why the society has put it's guard down against females taking kin to having "boy-like interests" is something I'd like to find out, maybe because it's tough to make fun of dominance compared to something more soft and docile. I'm not honestly sure.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter either way. Any form of opposition to something someone likes to do or say just because it is considered "too boy or girlish" is stereotyping genders, which I highly dislike. Nor am I, or will I ever, have a derogatory outlook on a person just because they are interested in something I am not, unless the thing in question goes against common sense, or rationality (such as drinking while driving, dropping out of school, etc). This doesn't mean I might not ask WHY they are interested in what they are, but I certainly wouldn't think of them any less because of it either way.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #39
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire667 View Post
Publicly speaking, society has taken much more acceptance to females being "tomboys" than males being feminists.
Typo?
Old 12-1-2010, 01:39 PM   #40
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x

I wouldn't care at all. Then again I'm MtF Transgender so I have a different perspective on things.
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote