Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-5-2012, 06:17 AM   #441
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Making the statement about muscle makes no sense on numerous levels. Muscle takes significant time to build (most people don't build much more than 1 lb muscle per month) and requires in almost any condition to be in caloric surplus with a heavy weight training regime. Rubix has 1. Not been in the gym long with a limited program and 2. Has not been eating at caloric surplus. The claim that his weight might be recompositioning because of increased muscle mass is laughable at best and highly misleading.

Go back to lifting heavy things, dipshit. Or go back to school and learn to format some sort of coherent argument that doesn't involve calling me stupid twice in the same post.
Just some food for thought, everybody's body is different. I'm not saying someone can build ten pounds of muscle in a week or something absurd like that. The original argument was that he was not losing weight. I have no idea who he is or what is body type is but I was providing a possible solution. For argument's sake let's say he lost 0.1 pounds of fat but gained 0.1 of muscle...his weight would remain constant. From personal experience I never worked out at all until 5 years ago. In 1 month exactly I went from 182 to 184, with those weights taken at the same time of day under the same conditions. Well over 90% of that weight was muscle so don't assume people can only gain so much during a specific time period.
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2012, 11:11 AM   #442
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Fantastic way to open a post. "Are you stupid?". I mean, really dude? Are YOU stupid? This might not be english class, but communicating your points effectively is something useful on a discussion forum. For example, what I said has nothing to do with being politically correct and your usage of the term is incorrect. I suppose I should follow this by pathetically insulting your intellect.

Making the statement about muscle makes no sense on numerous levels. Muscle takes significant time to build (most people don't build much more than 1 lb muscle per month) and requires in almost any condition to be in caloric surplus with a heavy weight training regime. Rubix has 1. Not been in the gym long with a limited program and 2. Has not been eating at caloric surplus. The claim that his weight might be recompositioning because of increased muscle mass is laughable at best and highly misleading.

Go back to lifting heavy things, dipshit. Or go back to school and learn to format some sort of coherent argument that doesn't involve calling me stupid twice in the same post.
The only reason I said that is because newbies (specifically Reincarnate) tend to build a ton of muscle/make a lot of progress in that first month, regardless of what they're doing.

Last edited by Senip; 09-5-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2012, 11:40 AM   #443
jductape
500+250+50-300-15+1000+rs
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
Take a week off, SC. Do you do any rotator cuff work at all?

Saw a guy load up the squat bar and then do quarter inch squats. It pisses me off to no end to see people do squats like that, then brag about how awesome they are at squatting, while I sit there and bust my ass trying to get the form down so I can start going heavy.
You'll be better off in the long run, and looking down upon them with your in-tact back.
jductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2012, 12:48 PM   #444
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

I think I will take some time off. Better to let it fully heal than be impatient. My wrist is dicked.

Also I want to acknowledge that I was wrong about what I said. I forgot to take Reincarnates diet into account, and how being at a deficit makes building muscle that quickly, if at all, highly unlikely. Reach is right. I should have thought more about the situation before saying anything.

With that said, I'd like to see a picture and/or video of Champ.

Last edited by SCWolf; 09-5-2012 at 05:09 PM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2012, 08:15 PM   #445
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Maybe this is just me or maybe I have a lot of swelling which is what I notice or maybe it's largely psychological and it's probably only when I'm losing a lot, but I *feel* when I'm losing weight, (and gaining). I know when I'm not doing enough to get any significant losses without needing the scale.

It's a shame to have to stop lifting weights simply because your wrist is fried. With some ingenuity you could totally make up things that would not require you using your wrist. Strap weights to your arms somehow. I'm imagining a barbell strapped to your forearms (with padding of course) and you get someone else to put the weights on after you're in the starting position for the excersise. There's be less torque, but everything else seems like it'd be pretty much the same.
Have you tried bracing your wrist completely, like using a tightly wrapped carpal tunnel brace or something? One of the plastic ones?
I'm sure there's other things you can do too. Variatons of push-ups on forearms maybe.
You may have a hard time working certain muscle groups, but there's no reason to avoid everything.
(Again, not that I workout really, but I can't use mose free weights and some machines with my left because I can't grip them properly, but there's totally work arounds at least at my fitness level.)
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2012, 09:33 PM   #446
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Resting and letting your wrist heal is definitely the right move. Trust me, I've played hockey through various injuries, and only made them worse. Give it a week or so and see how it feels. But when you do go back, just do a few light warm up sets to see how it feels.

Last edited by Poison-; 09-5-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2012, 06:01 AM   #447
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Actually the smart move if you can't workout using your wrist is to, well, workout everything that you don't need your wrist for. Having strong legs, and especially a strong core, is just as important as a strong upper body, in fact they compliment each other in certain workouts, so what ever you do, do not stop working out altogether.
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2012, 06:26 AM   #448
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Wrist != entire upper body
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2012, 07:40 AM   #449
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

All of a sudden, this morning -- 223.5
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2012, 07:41 AM   #450
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Uh, no. I can't do my main compound movements, and I'm not going to the gym to do only accessory work. That's also a good way to have certain body parts lag behind.

I can't bench press, Incline DB press, chin up, pull up, and barbell curls were a colossal task to say the least.

Poison is right. It's best I wait it off, then start slow when I get back in. That's what I did this week and found it was too early. I'll give it another week then try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
All of a sudden, this morning -- 223.5
Grats!@#~!@~!
Old 09-6-2012, 09:06 AM   #451
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

My body is ridiculous. It took a few weeks for it to stop being a greedy asshole and give up the 10 pounds of water weight, all in the span of a couple days.

Then I remained at that weight (plus/minus some variance) for a while and then suddenly it just drops like 3 pounds in a day or two. What the eff mang. It's like a very discrete stepfunction or something.

Either way, down 12.5 since starting this thread. Still look the same, though, as expected. Most of that is water, so I haven't lost THAT much fat yet, but it's a start. The next few weeks will be good feedback. This is a lifestyle change, after all.

Battling willpower has been an interesting journey. In the past, I could go through an entire 1600+ calorie bag of sour cream and onion Lays in a day -- as a snack. What I do now, sometimes, is just walk into a store, stare at something unhealthy-but-tasty for a few seconds, contemplate it, and walk back out. Takes all of 20 seconds and it helps me get used to turning things down, now that I have a much better idea how many calories I'm putting into my body and how much time it takes to work that stuff off.

Really though, it helps me to "face my temptations" and turn them down instead of just trying to avoid them altogether and keep them out-of-mind. Sweets and unhealthy junk start to legitimately look less appealing, while the opposite trend holds for healthier foods. For instance, right now I am actually *craving* a salad, which is awesome.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-6-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2012, 10:22 AM   #452
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
My body is ridiculous. It took a few weeks for it to stop being a greedy asshole and give up the 10 pounds of water weight, all in the span of a couple days.

Then I remained at that weight (plus/minus some variance) for a while and then suddenly it just drops like 3 pounds in a day or two. What the eff mang. It's like a very discrete stepfunction or something.

Either way, down 12.5 since starting this thread. Still look the same, though, as expected. Most of that is water, so I haven't lost THAT much fat yet, but it's a start. The next few weeks will be good feedback. This is a lifestyle change, after all.

Battling willpower has been an interesting journey. In the past, I could go through an entire 1600+ calorie bag of sour cream and onion Lays in a day -- as a snack. What I do now, sometimes, is just walk into a store, stare at something unhealthy-but-tasty for a few seconds, contemplate it, and walk back out. Takes all of 20 seconds and it helps me get used to turning things down, now that I have a much better idea how many calories I'm putting into my body and how much time it takes to work that stuff off.

Really though, it helps me to "face my temptations" and turn them down instead of just trying to avoid them altogether and keep them out-of-mind. Sweets and unhealthy junk start to legitimately look less appealing, while the opposite trend holds for healthier foods. For instance, right now I am actually *craving* a salad, which is awesome.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Yeah. When I first started I was going through withdrawals. I used to eat vegetables maybe once a year. I ate fast food daily. I was awful. After about a month though, the cravings passed. Now I don't even enjoy junk food. Feels great.
Old 09-6-2012, 06:27 PM   #453
Senip
Forum User

I still have issues with cravings, lately I've been doing carb backloading so it's not too bad. I'm getting ready to do a shred though and that's going to suck.

Pissed off with deadlifts lately, today was the day to nail 500, pulled 475, got 500 barely off the floor, was like "What the **** is this shit?!"

Went and did rack deads with 500 until I couldn't move, ended up doing something like 10-15, so my back is strong enough, I just cant get it off the ground. Obnoxious, annoying ass workouts...
Old 09-6-2012, 07:11 PM   #454
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

today i started an attempt at a raw food vegan diet. i'm not going to turn away cooked (it does still have to be vegan) food, but i simply won't be preparing it for myself. i might be making exceptions for beans and rice. here's what i bought from the grocery store to get started:
oranges
grapefruits
a head of broccoli
a bunch of kale (this and spinach will account for my iron intake)
a bunch of bananas
a larger sized box of strawberries
eggplant
cucumbers
tomatoes
limes

i know i'll need:
mushrooms (preferably Portabella)
spinach
cauliflower
carrots

So FFR, what nutrients am I missing?
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2012, 07:16 PM   #455
Senip
Forum User

Get a good multivitamin if you're going vegan...
Old 09-6-2012, 07:27 PM   #456
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
today i started an attempt at a raw food vegan diet. i'm not going to turn away cooked (it does still have to be vegan) food, but i simply won't be preparing it for myself. i might be making exceptions for beans and rice. here's what i bought from the grocery store to get started:
oranges
grapefruits
a head of broccoli
a bunch of kale (this and spinach will account for my iron intake)
a bunch of bananas
a larger sized box of strawberries
eggplant
cucumbers
tomatoes
limes

i know i'll need:
mushrooms (preferably Portabella)
spinach
cauliflower
carrots

So FFR, what nutrients am I missing?
A protein supplement will help.
Old 09-6-2012, 10:44 PM   #457
Senip
Forum User

went back in to do chest/bis, hit a new PR in memory of SC's wrists. RIP wrists.

decline bench (lowest angle), 275x15. Thought my head was going to explode.
Old 09-6-2012, 10:56 PM   #458
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
Thought my head was going to explode.

Last edited by SCWolf; 09-6-2012 at 11:00 PM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2012, 10:59 PM   #459
PriestREA
ddkdkd
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Might as well join in here.

Currently bulking up; started at 183 around April of this year and I'm now at 201.
6'2", 16.3% body fat. My body fat reading this April was ~21%, so it's a measurable decrease.
Old 09-7-2012, 11:53 AM   #460
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

Some one at the capitol messed up my friend's food stamps and gave him $400 extra. But guess what? You can buy candy with food stamps but not supplements! So I might have to go a while without protein shakes (I'm on day 2 of a raw food vegan diet) because I'm broke currently. I have a lot of friends that work at Jamba Juice so maybe they'll hook me up with some straight up soy protein shake.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote