Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 AM   #61
x6tence
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to x6tence Send a message via Yahoo to x6tence
Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl: Release Date Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart View Post
only 2? you got to be kidding can you send me the link of the interview?
try this link
http://wii.qj.net/tags/Masahiro-Sakurai/254
it has some info,but its not exact but awhile ago I read an interview and he said that trust me. (i know its hard to trust some random dude over the internet, just do so.)

-did you know the guy whos doing the voice of pit is the man who plays the voice of detective conan edigawa
x6tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 AM   #62
Xepher228
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Xepher228

They may not tell you about snaking, but they do tell you about power slides, and its use around corners. snaking is like wavedashing i guess in the sense that they tell you about the tools to do these things, but coming up with the technique wasnt their intention.
Xepher228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #63
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Snaking is another glitch from sliding, but they tell you how to slide. Completely different. And once again, they could remove it, but ... why? It's hard-coded into the engine.

Wavedashing is a glitch from aerial dodges into the ground after a short hop and into an l-cancel.

It's funny. I read the manual for Super Smash Brothers Melee and it tells me how to move. It says:

Quote:
Tilt the Control Stick in the direction you want to move
It even tells you how to run faster based on how hard you tilt the control stick!

Wait man, why doesn't it tell me how to wavedash? Surely if the developers meant for it to be there they'd tell me! What is this balderdash?!

Oh here we go here's a line on aerial dodging. Ok let's see if they tell me to dodge into the ground after a short hop and l-cancel it.

Quote:
If you press L or R in midair, you'll perform an Air Dodge. With the Control Stick, you can even Air Dodge in any direction.
Wait, no line about dodging into the ground after a short hop? Nothing about L-canceling the landing? Man those developers are sneaky! I bet they coded it in so they could win at all the tournaments!

I guess they just intended for us to interpret "Air Dodge in any direction!" as "do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then..."
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #64
Shashmakito
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shashmakito Send a message via MSN to Shashmakito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post

HAY SO IF THE HITBOXES WERE SCREWED UP IN COUNTER STRIKE THEN WHY DIDN'T THEY FIX THEM IN CS:S GUYS
they did fix it, they made it bigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToshX View Post
you are avatar

I am maid
Shashmakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #65
slickskater29
FFR Player

Quote:
Snaking is another glitch from sliding, but they tell you how to slide. Completely different. And once again, they could remove it, but ... why? It's hard-coded into the engine.

Wavedashing is a glitch from aerial dodges into the ground after a short hop and into an l-cancel.
In what game is snaking a glitch? In F-Zero X, the staff ghost times used snaking. In F-Zero GX, same thing. And in the Mario karts, its just drift boosting continuously.

Quote:
It's funny. I read the manual for Super Smash Brothers Melee and it tells me how to move. It says:

Quote:
Tilt the Control Stick in the direction you want to move
It even tells you how to run faster based on how hard you tilt the control stick!

Wait man, why doesn't it tell me how to wavedash? Surely if the developers meant for it to be there they'd tell me! What is this balderdash?!
The manual doesn't tell you to wavedash, or L-cancel, or short hop, or teching. This has happened before. In Devil May Cry 3, you can jump, to cancel the lag from a Helm Splitter. Nothing in the manual, or tutorial tells you that you can do this. Also, I've not seen any manuals from some of the Mario games, that tell me that the shorter i press on the button, the shorter jump Mario will make.

I'm not going to quote this last part, because it was in the whole post.

L-canceling has nothing to do with wavedashing. An L-cancel, is halving the frames it takes for your character to recover from performing a arial attack. You do this by pressing L, R, or Z just before hitting the ground after an arial.
slickskater29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #66
MrMe2
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart View Post
hmmm maybe because in the main page they said that characters will have a different flavor i wonder what does that means? new powers or liek you said make more diferences
The whole ''new flavor'' thing is just another way of saying that they are going to have more unique characters (like zelda in ssbm) and that they are going to exploit the wiimote (though nobody will use it).

Nintendo said that they are going to get rid of alot of clone characters because they dont want any so that there wont be 40million ppl to choose from in Brawl. I'm not sure if they will kill off Falco though because of popularity, but thats just a guess. Alot of the ''rarer'' nintendo characters might be gone too like the fire emblem ppl because they are only in really old super nintendo games, ice climbers, G&W, and maybe others.

As for Wavedashing... the air dodging into ground thing was part of the games physics, but nobody had any idea that it existed or that it could be spammed with most characters to help them move faster, to be used as a mindgame tactic, or to be used in techniques such as waveshining (very fun btw ;D). So it isn't a glitch, but it wasnt intended to be used in such a manner
MrMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #67
zidart
FFR Player

but maybe there is a chance to include the new fire emblem characters. and look at the official page, i don't think nintendo is gonna use motions for this game
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #68
slickskater29
FFR Player

Someone tell me where Nintendo said they were getting rid of clone characters.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #69
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It was posted on the original Smash Bros. Dojo site. Before it went through all this updating.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #70
MarisaKirisame
FFR Player

Quote:

Oh here we go here's a line on aerial dodging. Ok let's see if they tell me to dodge into the ground after a short hop and l-cancel it.

Wait, no line about dodging into the ground after a short hop? Nothing about L-canceling the landing? Man those developers are sneaky! I bet they coded it in so they could win at all the tournaments!

I guess they just intended for us to interpret "Air Dodge in any direction!" as "do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then do a short hop forward then air dodge down and cancel the landing with L then..."
All you have to do is jump and then dodge into the ground.

You don't need to L-Cancel or Shorthop -__- That's really all there is to it.

EDIT: Typo. Fixed it.

Last edited by MarisaKirisame; 07-19-2007 at 07:00 PM..
MarisaKirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #71
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

If that were it, then it wouldn't be any faster than running.

In fact, it would be considerably slower.

Edit: So I YouTube'd it.

How can you NOT call that a glitch? You can SEE the animation showing two sprites at once! CLEARLY A GLITCH.

Last edited by Squeek; 07-19-2007 at 08:04 PM..
Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #72
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to masterhickle

Quote:
If that were it, then it wouldn't be any faster than running.

In fact, it would be considerably slower.

Edit: So I YouTube'd it.

How can you NOT call that a glitch? You can SEE the animation showing two sprites at once! CLEARLY A GLITCH.
First,
I guess since it was shown on www.youtube.com, it has to be true.

Second,
The extra sprite that is seen is showing the transition from standing to sliding. It's called a frame. The lack of fluidity in the movements is a result of the designers not looking far enough into air-dodging to see it being used as a means of sliding along the ground, at the speed many players are capable of hitting the button combo. In something like triangle jumping, or circle jumping (the former wave-landing forward after a short-hop, the latter wave-landing backward after a short-hop), the transition between positions isn't as abrupt, so the extra frame is not seen.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #73
slickskater29
FFR Player

Here you go, read the bottom post: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109925
Old 07-19-2007, 11:35 PM   #74
zidart
FFR Player

well truth to be told some people (including me) may asume that the clones will be the ones out, and some not soo popular characters
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 AM   #75
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhickle View Post
First,
I guess since it was shown on www.youtube.com, it has to be true.

Second,
The extra sprite that is seen is showing the transition from standing to sliding. It's called a frame. The lack of fluidity in the movements is a result of the designers not looking far enough into air-dodging to see it being used as a means of sliding along the ground, at the speed many players are capable of hitting the button combo. In something like triangle jumping, or circle jumping (the former wave-landing forward after a short-hop, the latter wave-landing backward after a short-hop), the transition between positions isn't as abrupt, so the extra frame is not seen.
Technobabble for "covering for the developer's mistakes"?

Also, I consulted youtube not as a reference, but as the only place I can go to see wavedashing. I'm not going to seek out a nerdout with SSBM players actually competing for prizes or fame, because first of all, I consider video gaming tournaments to be the pinnacle of lame and second of all, I have much better things to do with my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Tzb642Xp0

Very first result for my search query. 0:55 is where you start seeing the glitches.

Just so you know, if someone were to play me and I saw them pulling crap like this, I'd unplug their controller. I don't care that you think it's a legitimate means of travel. It's clearly a glitch and it's clearly absolutely retarded to use instead of just RUNNING LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO. Characters are intentionally different speeds than one another to BALANCE THE GAME. Using this method unbalances the game more than your supposed item ban.

Now I know why all the ZOMG PROZZZZZzzzzzzz use the same three characters: fox/falco, roy/marth, and shiek.

Last edited by Squeek; 07-20-2007 at 02:59 AM..
Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #76
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to masterhickle

Squeek, if you think that 0:55 is where you first start seeing the transition between Luigi's stances, then you need to get your eyes checked, or maybe my eyes can register the frames earlier than yours.

Quote:
I don't care that you think it's a legitimate means of travel. It's clearly a glitch and it's clearly absolutely retarded to use instead of just RUNNING LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO. Characters are intentionally different speeds than one another to BALANCE THE GAME.
As all characters have different running speeds, all characters have different wave-dashes.

As it is probably known by most, Luigi has the longest wave-dash, due to how much he floats, and how light he is (I included his weight because I'm fairly sure Samus floats more than Luigi, but she is also the 4th heaviest character in the game). Now we get into characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, and DK, all notably slow characters. The three aforementioned characters are all heavy, and have very little float, so they have a very small wave-dash (small to the point that it's not even worth using, wave-landing would be better).

Now, Fox, Sheik, and Falcon. Three of the (if not the) fastest characters in the game. Because of the speed these characters require, it would appear that their wave-dashes are pretty much useless, but in reality, it's just a much quicker speed that is required between jumping and air-dodging into the ground (I've gotted my Falcon's wave-dash to compete with my Marth's wave-dash in terms of length.)

Each character's wave-dash doesn't further balance, or further unbalance the game. All the game is doing is incorporating the physics of each character, and allowing them to act as they do.

Technobabble? How about "truth" ?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #77
Shamo0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shamo0

Quote:
Just so you know, if someone were to play me and I saw them pulling crap like this, I'd unplug their controller. I don't care that you think it's a legitimate means of travel. It's clearly a glitch and it's clearly absolutely retarded to use instead of just RUNNING LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO. Characters are intentionally different speeds than one another to BALANCE THE GAME. Using this method unbalances the game more than your supposed item ban.
Your argument about running speed vs wavedashing speed and how it somehow translates to unbalanced isn't that great tbh =/ If anything it's still balanced because slow characters can still do it.. as well as fast characters. It's still balanced because it still factors everyones weight and friction levels. If everyone can do it, it's perfectly ok to be used. It is a legitimate mean of travel. You don't have to run anywhere, say you're Jigglypuff, if you want to play a good jigglypuff, your airgame should be way more important than ground game. Since all characters have the same potential to wavedash and wavedash using the same formula it's fair.

Also just so you know, if someone were to unplug my controller because I was wavedashing I'd call them a sore loser.

Wavedashing is only unfair to some1 who doesn't use it. Technically it's not even unfair or unbalanced, you're either a)not good at it b) don't know how to do it. It's like saying samus's b-down special is unfair when trying to get back on the platform. It's not unfair, it's a hard technique that not everyone knows about. It shows skill, this is a game, in order to beat someone you need to use skill and technique.

Everyone can perform wavedashing, average players just don't because they can't-- at least not as well as players who can use them. It's a simple technique that can be mastered but isn't mastered because not everyone knows about it. It's not unfair. Everyone can use it, so what if the devs never told you about it or planned it? It's there, utilize it. If you don't prepare to be beaten. It's simple.

It's like you're street racing around a city but you lose because you didn't take the shortest route. It's your own fault.

"Well I didn't know about dat road duude"
"Well I did"

I can't believe ppl talk bad about wave dashing =/ It's amazingly hard to pull off and use effectively while you're fighting. It's a great feat and should be honored among all players of true skill.

Quote:
I'm not going to seek out a nerdout with SSBM players actually competing for prizes or fame, because first of all, I consider video gaming tournaments to be the pinnacle of lame and second of all, I have much better things to do with my life.
Alright now that you've said this. Honestly why do you even care then? Only the vets/pros do this anyway, and since you're claiming to be this cool cat on a internet forum where no1 cares what you're IRL, seriously why even bother? You don't have the time to practice for tourny play or find better competition but yet you want to argue with the same people you're trying to avoid?

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadShamoo

Last edited by Shamo0; 07-23-2007 at 09:45 PM..
Shamo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #78
zidart
FFR Player

wavedashing depends of the character you use, with them i can beat someone who use wavedash very easily
Old 07-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #79
Shamo0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shamo0

EXTREMELY vital gameplay update.

"The Footstool Jump.

What the heck is a Footstool Jump?!

Well, it’s a cool technique. Basically, you step on your opponent and jump off!

That’s it!

Jump! Now press the jump button with perfect timing...

Boing!

And then you jummmmmmmmp!

Using your enemy’s spine like a spring to launch you into the air
is pretty fun.

What? You say it doesn’t have much strategic value?

No, no, no. That’s hardly the case.

You can use it to perform Meteor Smashes! Incredible!"

K now heres how I think this can be exploited if it works out the way I think it will work.. I'm just gonna copy and paste it since I already posted what I was gonna type here somewhere else on teh internats:

"I'm actually hoping this Footstool jump isn't an effective meteor smash. Like yea It should push you down, but if you go down at the same speed from say ganons meteor smash then it's complete BS. Especially considering it's a boost jump.

Actually this could be easily exploited... Like say it doesn't push them down fast but it still pushes them down right?

Now imagine this, some1 is getting back on the board you jump on them do the footstool jump which makes you jump and makes them fall slowly THEN you fast fall back onto them and do another footstool jump they fall slow again..rinse and repeat until when they have no chance of making it back on the board and you do one last footstool jump then up special. OR if you get another jump after the footstool then up special.

lol genius technique right thar

If you get another jump after the footstool jump that's just plain unbalanced xD"

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadShamoo
Shamo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #80
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

OMG Are you 3 Tourneybums still arguing about SSBM? I know how to wavedash and I'm pretty sure you have to shorthop in order for the game to register that you are off the ground and can air-dodge bck into it. Now, when it is done correctly, the sprite stay on the ground as if they hadn't jumped at all.