Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-8-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
TheGuyWhoGoesMoo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheGuyWhoGoesMoo Send a message via MSN to TheGuyWhoGoesMoo
Default My stupid theory of the universe...

I think the universe is just a loop. If you keep going in the exact same direction, you'll end up in the same exact place. Kind of like going around Earth. However, I'm not sure how exactly how to explain how I think it works, but it all makes sense to me.

The "universe" is only 3-dimensional. There's a 4th dimension, so that's why no matter which way you go, you'll always be in the universe, and always end up in the same spot. It's like a 4-dimensional sphere, and we're only stuck on the outside. We can't get off it, no matter which of the 3-dimensions we travel.

Yeah I know I'm bad at explaining things, and still haven't taken any physics classes so... It's probably stupid. The ONLY reasion I came up with this about a year ago is so I'd stop thinking about what's out there, and have a reasonable answer.
TheGuyWhoGoesMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

You listen to modest mouse any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Mouse
The universe is shaped exactly like the earth if you go
Straight long enough you’ll end up where you were.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
TheGuyWhoGoesMoo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheGuyWhoGoesMoo Send a message via MSN to TheGuyWhoGoesMoo

Modest Mouse the cartoon? No
Old 05-8-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
BluE_MeaniE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BluE_MeaniE Send a message via MSN to BluE_MeaniE

I think he may have meant Modest Mouse the band.
BluE_MeaniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

TheGuyWhoGoesMoo, I think you're prety much on the right track.

If you think of the universe as a sphere... if you try to connect one side of it to the opposite side, you're going to squish the sphere in half and end up with a doughnut-shaped thing.

Now think.... all the points on the sphere connected to all the other opposite points along the outside. You could squish the sphere and fold it a few times, but to turn it inside out, basically, you'd have to rip it apart.

That's why there's another space dimension, and you can fold the sphere over as many times as you want in that dimension. The equivalent of ripping it apart and turning it inside out without actually doing that.

I hope that was understandable. That's just the way I try to see it. I'm sure there's a better explanation.
Old 05-9-2004, 05:41 AM   #6
TheGuyWhoGoesMoo
FFR Player

Chrissi, yeah, I never really thought about a 4th dimension more than that there must be one. That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluE MeaniE
I think he may have meant Modest Mouse the band.
Oh, never heard of them.
I think I was getting Modest Mouse confused with Mighty Mouse... :/
Old 05-9-2004, 07:49 AM   #7
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi
If you think of the universe as a sphere... if you try to connect one side of it to the opposite side, you're going to squish the sphere in half and end up with a doughnut-shaped thing.
I'm pretty sure Homer Simpson was the pioneer of that "donut-shaped universe theory."

And to stay on topic: I had a similar idea a while back, but I didn't think too much of it because I don't really believe in a 4th dimension. The problem being the sphere's beginning also being it's end seems only explainable if you call it 4 dimensional. Sometimes, though, it's good to think "4th dimensionally" (ie Back to the Future).

P.S. Go watch Back to the Future right now.
Old 05-9-2004, 09:17 AM   #8
Auranceus
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Auranceus Send a message via MSN to Auranceus Send a message via Yahoo to Auranceus

I think this all depends on what you define the 4th dimension as, it could be time, it could be something totally different, and for all we know there could be a 5th dimension,
personally after reading flatworld, i decided that there are indeed multiple dimensions, in which if your in the 1st dimension (length) then you can only prophesize about the 2nd dimension (width)... therefore since we only prophesize (and parchance find it) we must be in the 3rd or possibly 4th dimension.

And, Back to the future is totally the best movie ever!
Auranceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

The 4th dimension is time, but there are 3 space dimensions. The 4th space dimension is... we don't know. Might be what holds the universe together.
Old 05-9-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
jazzmosis
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to jazzmosis

Problem with this theory:

Yes, on Earth we would go around in a loop because although it doesn't seem like it, we're not walking on a direct path. The gravity holds us to the Earth and keeps us from walking in a direct straight line. If we were to go off in space and try this, there is no gravity so we wouldn't travel in a slight arc (assuming no gravitational interference from anything.). So it is easily conceiveable that we'd reach the "end of the Universe", but then no matter which way we went, eventually we'd end up back in the same place. It's impossible to end up in the same place from anywhere other than the outer edge of the Universe because that'd be the only way we could know the diameter. This is because we don't know where the exact centre of the Universe is, so if we're not walking around the centre, we could end up anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
<3 Jazzoo.
jazzmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 PM   #11
stinkypoo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to stinkypoo Send a message via MSN to stinkypoo

i think the universe is a flat surface that is freely bending and folding, so a "wormhole" would be caused be the universe folding and the two sides of the universe touching, which creates a wormhole. Steven Hawking thinks the universe is a sphere (like moos theory) and it is slowly expanding. when it hits a wall or gets too big to expand it will shrink back towards itself and eventually implode. so the universe will implode as soon as it shrinks inward enough to do so. i think my theory is more logical (well to me) but what neither of us know is, whats beyond the universe? whats behind the wall the spherical universe hits? whats watching over the long flat graph of space we call the universe? whats out there? ill never know..........
stinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:47 PM   #12
RobbyZero
FFR Player

Our "Universe" is one within another one bigger and so forth. It just expands from what we know so far.
RobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:27 AM   #13
Anonymous
FFR Player

Okay all with this i think of the sun...If the Sun explodes causing a big black hole sucking everything in it for a couple millions years just sucking matter into it..Than later on it implodes and creates a straight line of gamma ray going to two directions with soo much energy which some how makes the another galaxy...i am drunk and just thought of this...

Also, i think that there is another parallel universe out there with the same exact shit that we have in our universe..because this is the most advanced state that we have and soo if other galaxy have the same technology or even better technology to travel for distances to find our planet...than i dunno shit i'm fuked...
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:29 AM   #14
xImportxTunerx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xImportxTunerx

Okay all with this i think of the sun...If the Sun explodes causing a big black hole sucking everything in it for a couple millions years just sucking matter into it..Than later on it implodes and creates a straight line of gamma ray going to two directions with soo much energy which some how makes the another galaxy...i am drunk and just thought of this...

Also, i think that there is another parallel universe out there with the same exact shit that we have in our universe..because this is the most advanced state that we have and soo if other galaxy have the same technology or even better technology to travel for distances to find our planet...than i dunno shit i'm fuked...
xImportxTunerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:01 AM   #15
Jam930
FFR Player

Our sun is very small. It wouldn't create a big black hole.

As for the universe...I think it just goes on forever in all directions. Why not?
Old 05-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #16
navyseal101
FFR Player

the universe is just a big space, it has no shape because it has no edges or curves, so your not going to walk around, over, through or under anything...your just going to end up in a different place all the time.

Beyond math and science, nothing is absolutley true, all is relative.

Bummble bees have hair on their eyes, oouch!
navyseal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #17
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

1) We don't even know if our universe is infinate at all. Maybe it ends somewhere (Occam's Razor, know it and love it)
2)If the universe does end and grows at a steady rate, how do black holes effect it's growth?
3) The size of a star does not effect the size of a black hole. They are all very small and extremely powerful.
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote