Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-9-2007, 10:30 AM   #21
Kekiz
FFR Player

Default Re: The Latest School Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuko View Post
Have you read Lord of the Flies? It's relevant.
Ive read battle royale though which is similar. Maybe not to a school shooting but to lord of the flies. The kids immediatly feel cornered and decide its kill or be killed so they find it to be natural i guess.

I believe anyone who would kill someone has some kind of mental problem though. At least in this case of a school shooting.
Kekiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2007, 04:38 PM   #22
Jokee
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Jokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj_leonine View Post
- Is it normal for people to kill people?
"kid got shot gotta go post about it on FFR"
There, I said it for you.

I saw a reportage (don't know if this word exists in english lol) from National Geographic. It was about monkeys (chimpanzees (still don't know if this word exists in enlgish (wow!! 3 paratheses in a row!))) killing monkeys from another "gang" or "clan", for nothing, just like street gangs. :s
Jokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Violence against your own is probably evolutionary, since us and our little ancestors over there in the jungle are one of the only ones that do such things to our own. We are the only two species that engage in genocide.

It would be interesting to learn why such a behavior would evolve though, since it seems anti-evolutionary. There must be a benefit of being violent towards others of the same species. It could also be a by-product of greater self realization.

Society as a whole sort of functions as a mechanism to try and strip violent, primative behaviors from us but that doesn't mean they're not still there. That and people arn't and will never be born equals, hence differences in ideologies and morality arise, and as such there are all sorts of different people, including ones that wreck havok on society.

The upcoming generation? I mean, they should be similar to other generations. Violent. We've been violent as a species for a million years now, that isn't going to change unless something dramatic happens.

Who do we blame? Who do you think? Whoever the shooter was. Pointing the finger doesn't solve anything, but a key self realization is that you and only you are responsible for your actions (excluding special cases). It is self evident that part of the problem is bad parenting, but in the end a child must learn to shape themselves and take responsibilities.

I wouldn't blame my bad habits or poor choices on my moms parenting skills, but rather on myself.
I'd say the sudden appearance of school shootings (i.e. they didn't exist 15 years ago really, now they are all over the place) probably has nothing to do with evolution... It's a phenomenological occurence.

"Why does it develop if it's not good for evolution?" Who said every strategy was good for evolution. It's not like a bad strategy arises than immediately appears. Murder has rarely become a dominant strategy because rarely does it reach evolutionary stability. Most individuals choosing to kill are choosing mutant strategies. If you really think that the rise of killing is biological, it would probably be genetic drift not some deeper statement about the Darwinian Fitness of killing. But really, it could obviously be caused by something else altogether...

Quote:
Society as a whole sort of functions as a mechanism to try and strip violent, primative behaviors from us but that doesn't mean they're not still there.
What? You realize that 'violence' and 'primitivity' are completely arbitrary markers right? Not all societies have the same concepts of violence and primitivity, and furthermore, not all societies even have a concept of violence or primitivity.

Do you think killing is 'primitive'? To the contrary, I think it shows that we, as a species, have great intelligence to understand the metagame of interactions enough to understand that killing can yield advantages. That doesn't come from a biological spark or mutation that makes us want to kill. It comes from increased pattern and complexity recognition over time due to higher chunking levels in organ development. The instant human beings became self aware they understood the possible value of killing.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #24
Irodori
FFR Player

I try to think of it this way. Chances are there isnt much that you as a student (assuming you are) can do about situations like these. Try to befriend everyone, and if someone looks at you funny, run like hell. There is no sence in getting in the way of a raving looney. Yes they will probabally ruin our country somehow but it's nothing we cant deal with. Remember the bit about the second amendment...You know, the get a big gun and cover your ass one. Just try not to piss people off but if you do try to remeber that there IS a time to fight but sometimes it is better to turn the other direction and run like a pansy.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #25
TrueBOSS
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to TrueBOSS

I totaly agree with that. I use a, "Don't have enemies strategy. At my school I have no enemies and many, many friends. Its because I'm perfectly aware of what makes people hate you and avoid doing those things." And, because of how many people I know, if something like this was being planned, chances are that I would know about it in advance and could stop it. Lesson, the more friends and trust you have, the more positive influence you can have on people.

http://www.ccacomics.com
http://www.ff7citadel.com
TrueBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #26
YungYung
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to YungYung Send a message via MSN to YungYung

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBOSS View Post
As I said, people who believe this tend to be c**ky and act like total p**^s to some people.
Generalization.

Quote:
'm not saying this guy but I'm saying thats the tendency and the #1 cause.
Nice job pulling a statistic out of your ass.

Quote:
In the womans case, the suggestion I was trying to get out is to always be ready for something like that to happen and know what to do if it does.
It's this that actually annoyed me enough to bother posting. Are you suggesting that every time a woman walks out the door to get their car and drive home from work, the possibility of being sexual assaulted should be in the back of their mind?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Humans and apes most certainly aren't the only species to kill others of their own species. Counter-example: preying mantis. And any species which fights for dominance can end up killing each other.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote