https://soundcloud.com/zaevod/the-night-that-changed-it-all
Zaevod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Zaevod
FFR Player

Default Re: The night that changed it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
This might seem like a silly question to you, but why did you choose these instruments in your song?
I was thinking about a specific moment in a story I'm writing. I liked the initial delayed guitar and the synth because they really gave me a "night" vibe, and added the bass and strings to fill it up. You think the choice was weird?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
Zaevod
FFR Player

The only decent drums I have.

Yeah, my options are still somewhat limited.

... So?

Last edited by Zaevod; 08-19-2013 at 12:29 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Zaevod
FFR Player

What should I use in this case? (maybe that's why I didn't feel it was ready, lol)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

Alternatively tone down the drums by practicing a conventional 4/4 pattern. Your drums are always really busy with lots of snares and hats and whatnot, and that's fine except they sound a little erratic. I'd also say making the bass as prominent as it is in this song when your sample library sounds so murky was a mistake. I'd use the bass as a backing track and copypaste all the crazier stuff it's doing to some other channel. I do think it works the way it is right now, but I still see where KgZ is coming from. Generally though, this sounds pretty good. Lead takes up a lot of space, but sounds good. As far as mixing and production quality goes, you've come a long way. Your biggest problem is still drums tho.

A tip: Aside from the weird drum patterns you should probably tone down, it might also be a good idea to split up your drum track so you can mix parts of it individually. The way I do it is I make a separate channel for the kick, snare, toms and hats/crashes, and then route them to different mixer inserts. This is really important when you're using analog drums as they tend to sound rather weak without mixing.
StoneMcKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Zaevod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneMcKnuckle View Post
Alternatively tone down the drums by practicing a conventional 4/4 pattern. Your drums are always really busy with lots of snares and hats and whatnot, and that's fine except they sound a little erratic. I'd also say making the bass as prominent as it is in this song when your sample library sounds so murky was a mistake. I'd use the bass as a backing track and copypaste all the crazier stuff it's doing to some other channel. I do think it works the way it is right now, but I still see where KgZ is coming from. Generally though, this sounds pretty good. Lead takes up a lot of space, but sounds good. As far as mixing and production quality goes, you've come a long way. Your biggest problem is still drums tho.

A tip: Aside from the weird drum patterns you should probably tone down, it might also be a good idea to split up your drum track so you can mix parts of it individually. The way I do it is I make a separate channel for the kick, snare, toms and hats/crashes, and then route them to different mixer inserts. This is really important when you're using analog drums as they tend to sound rather weak without mixing.
I see. I'll try putting each drum instrument in different channels from now on. But I'm a bit surprised because I made the drums so slow and simple in this song, I didn't think they were busy at all (I was actually thinking about what you told me when I made it).
Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

Another tip regarding drums is to mess with velocity settings, especially for hats and snares.

StoneMcKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Zaevod
FFR Player

I already do that, but thanks anyway :P (maybe I rushed this one and forgot to change the values, I'll check. It was literally the quickest song I've ever made.)

Last edited by Zaevod; 08-21-2013 at 08:35 PM..