Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_
Default Do you see anything wrong?

I'm rather bothered by the post, I see nothing about family in here...No matter what, unless it's under extreme circumstances I'll always love my family whether or not we're still in contact or not because they are kin to me. She also openly admits that if you don't have god on your mind 99% of the time that you're basically nothing to her. I don't understand, why are people SO close minded that they can't listen "to the other side?" Discuss, I'm curious what others think about this.

oh, and since when has education been a deciding factor if you're a good christian or not? "Oh, he doesn't care about school he must love Lucifer and do drugs."
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Do you see anything wrong?

Still waiting for society to give up on God.. if nobody ever believed in God, we'd probably be flying around in jet cars or something.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Do you know that it there are some people who would group "family" under "friends"? There are many who also likes to keep them as their own separate categories.

Also about religion in general, I have this strange overall belief thinking to believe what you want to believe. If some people don't believe in God, fine. If some do, fine.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Still waiting for society to give up on God.. if nobody ever believed in God, we'd probably be flying around in jet cars or something.
I generally respect atheists for their beliefs, but when you go spewing out stuff like this it just angers me. It makes no sense and is 100% false-- and you know it.

Regarding the post, in THEORY putting God first means following his commands, which of course involve loving your family/friends/etc. Of course, some people do take the "God first" thing wayyyy too seriously. I have seen it first hand in my family. Nonetheless, I can assure you 90% of people who put God first are very involved with their friends and family.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
VisD
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Yeah there're all kinds of people, really, and while we may judge others according to our personal beliefs, it's not doing any of us any good to get ourselves all worked up over what someone else's personal beliefs are. We can believe what we will, but getting frustrated over others' beliefs without any real means of debate or discussion is pointless.

Live and let live - I think if most of us can do that, then more will have been done for the progress of man than any major shift towards or away from secularism could bring.

VisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Christian dark ages

Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
MikeShinoda12345
*\(^o^)/*
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
if nobody ever believed in God, we'd probably be flying around in jet cars or something.
lolwut

please be ****ing kidding
MikeShinoda12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
prefx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to prefx Send a message via MSN to prefx

Quote:
Christian dark ages
^ This

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
Like, grind2 feels like what would happen if Dead and Direct had sex with Frictional Nevada and had a sick, warped lovechild on crack, and then that child took an epic dump on your lawn. That dump = grind2
Second Place in D4 of Popsicle_3000's Christmas Spectacular GG Megamon
prefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefx View Post
^ This
This dark age happened exactly when?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Silly girl.

This was how I was brought up:
Not very religious, never went to church except for weddings and funerals. Yes, I personally believe there's a God, but whatever. Anyway, my dad always noted that religion's a nice guidance for people if they're lost (don't kill or steal, etc. because that's bad). Otherwise, it wasn't a big focus for me growing up. Both parents went to catholic schools. My mom's a more heavier follower - her mindset's not as open as my dad's - she doesn't like athiests, or gays, but she's not gonna go picketing. (My sister is an athiest, and I don't think my mom knows - mom once brought up that athiests basically are going to hell. Sister didn't say anything, but was hurt).

Arguing with people about religion is like arguing whether or not the sky is blue. People have their viewpoints, and the close-minded ones are never going to change.

The end.
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

@bballa48
Roman Empire Fall to Renaissance @ 500~1500. (ouch)

Philosophy classes should be mandatory in school and Religion should be a sub-section in this.
People need to learn how to think on their own, use arguments and some rationality.
Everyone on Planet Earth is agnostic until Bible is proven or refuted kkthxbai.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
i heart candy
Retired
FFR Veteran

I honestly believe that this subject shouldn't be talked about on FFR.
I'm a person who does believe in God (I'm a Christian), but I'm not the type of person to shut someone out of my life because they do not necessarily agree with my beliefs;hence, all people are different anyway. People can believe whatever they want to believe and anybody who is anybody has that right.

inb4 this thread gets closed.

i heart candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
NocturneAunamic
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to NocturneAunamic Send a message via MSN to NocturneAunamic Send a message via Skype™ to NocturneAunamic

Quote:
That was the most moronic comment I've ever read in my entire life I'm dying right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart candy View Post
inb4 as well. Nothing cooks up a nice bowl of butthurt better than the old typical Religion Debate.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturneAunamic View Post
That was the most moronic comment I've ever read in my entire life I'm dying right now.

inb4 as well. Nothing cooks up a nice bowl of butthurt better than the old typical Religion Debate.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart candy View Post
I honestly believe that this subject shouldn't be talked about on FFR.
I'm a person who does believe in God (I'm a Christian), but I'm not the type of person to shut someone out of my life because they do not necessarily agree with my beliefs;hence, all people are different anyway. People can believe whatever they want to believe and anybody who is anybody has that right.

Why not talk about religion? What's so taboo about discussing religion vs areligion/science? As long as people stay civil and provide proper arguments to their viewpoints I see no problem in discussion of this topic. You might even learn a thing or two.

Also, any "proper" atheist should know not to denounce someone's claims entirely and if/when proven wrong, their viewpoint/theory should be adjusted accordingly. Anyone who insults other groups in the name of atheism gives atheism a bad name and is as bad as any radical religious person in my book. We can't possibly know if a god exists but given the current knowledge and advances in science, chances of a deity are -extremely- slim. So slim I choose to think there isn't and never will be a god. I could be wrong, but until proof shows up I don't assume I am.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 08-24-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography) - For those who need a history lesson

Although Christianity was largely a direct factor in the coming of the dark ages and the surpression of intellectuals during the period, there's probably an argument to say that as a whole religion has done a lot of good over the course of human history in bringing people together and getting them to work towards common causes, as well as being key in the creation of earlier large empires. Hell, even modern ones have religion to thank for helping them be somewhat stable during their creation (although they've also caused chaos, but hey-ho).

I'd say it's give and take, but without it I doubt we'd be any further ahead than we are now. I still think organised religion is all bs personally though ^^

wildfireskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think that those common causes could well have been there without religion. Human morals aren't drawn from religion but drawn from the fact that if we don't work together we're only hurting our own development, and I do think the suppression of science through religion had an effect on our development. Truth is though, we'll never know if religion had the impact people claim it had because we only have one course of history which is with the involvement of religion. We know no other course of history so we can't tell for sure yet. For all we know the same good or bad could have come in a past without religion. But right now is a time where areligion is no longer punished as herecy and people should draw their own conclusion based on common sense and logic.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 08-24-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
customstuff
♥C.S. + A.M.♥
FFR Veteran

She obviously needs that education she apparently loves so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
Placements are final, custom will not be moved to D6, just because he is good at jacks, and mediocre at just about every other FMO in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
welcome to D6

start playing
customstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

This is truly disappointing.

I'd like to return to this line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballa48
I generally respect atheists for their beliefs, but when you go spewing out stuff like this it just angers me. It makes no sense and is 100% false-- and you know it.
and throw it back in your face since you clearly had no idea that the dark ages even existed.. I don't need to be a satan worshiper to look at scientific history and see that it got severely reamed by religion.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
VisD
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
But right now is a time where areligion is no longer punished as herecy and people should draw their own conclusion based on common sense and logic.
We don't burn people at the stake any more, but it's false to say this. Secularist beliefs are still punished by the community within many cities and countries; the punishment no longer comes in forms as obvious as jail and execution but it's definitely still there in some places. I'm thinking more along the lines of social ostracism, discrimination and so on. Less blunt but more insidious

*edit: and we all know what happens to apostates in many Islamic communities

Last edited by VisD; 08-24-2012 at 02:23 PM..
VisD is offline   Reply With Quote