Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
i will pwn u
idontmash.ipressextrakeys
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to i will pwn u Send a message via Skype™ to i will pwn u
Default Re: my keyboard reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau5 View Post

Now i've been using this factory keyboard with my Lenevo PC

It's been good to me so far.
Lol thats what i play on a factory Lenovo . Its been helping me alot.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Magicturbo
Beatrix~
FFR Veteran

Logitec Illuminated price goes from 49.99 (This morning) ---> 74.99 (Now) in a few hours

;~;
Old 02-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

get a kensington slimtype instead its cheaper and probably just as good!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

get a macbook pro with black keys. it's 100x better than kensington slimtype

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #25
Magicturbo
Beatrix~
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
get a kensington slimtype instead its cheaper and probably just as good!
This? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16823155044

Also... is this the same logitech? I can't tell since the price difference is so massive o_O http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16823126216

The Illuminated has a palm rest... which I'm familiar and comfortable with, since I don't often raise my palms when playing soooooo...
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

wc keyboard reviewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Acer Multimedia Keyboard [AC-SK-9610]

this keyboard is terrible for everything

logitech k120

its a pretty nice keyboard. a bit hard to press because of the bulky keys but they build stamina when playing so thats cool. not very many key combinations that work for solo though but on the plus side the arrow keys can all be pressed at the same time

logitech k200

the keys are sooooooo much better on this than the k120. i love this keyboard. the keys are tons easier to press andthe click noise is great. i know there shouldnt be much of a difference between this and the k120 but there is. i definitely recommend this over the k120

kensington slimptype

i <3 this keyboard. there isnt anything wrong with this keyboard at all. the space bar was squeaky at first but that went away.super low profile and awesome.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
who_cares973
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturbo View Post
This? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16823155044

Also... is this the same logitech? I can't tell since the price difference is so massive o_O http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16823126216

The Illuminated has a palm rest... which I'm familiar and comfortable with, since I don't often raise my palms when playing soooooo...
yep that one.

ewwww refurbished ive never had anything good come of refurbished stuff
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #28
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I thought I'd write a few myself

Logitech Ultra X Premium
Price estimate: $20~30 (?)

Formfactor: Flat keyboard, full size
Connector types: PS/2 and USB models are available

Review: This was a rather renowned keyboard back then in the SM community. I'm not sure if these are still available, probably with Amazon or try newegg. I don't know how it compares with the Logitech Illuminated in terms of feel and tactility but I'd say they should be similar

Build quality is great. The body is molded in hard black plastic with a thick silver paint coating over the rest of it. After a year or two of use the paint will slowly fade off, but is still pretty acceptable. The top black strip is gloss black plastic with 6 media keys for useful access (volume control is really useful on a keyboard IMO). It is pretty sturdy; holding it in your hand and flexing it shows minimal bending

Underside of the keyboard has some rubber feet to keep it from sliding, however grip isn't great. I personally bought some rubber mats and stuck them onto the bottom. There are two keyboard feet that pop out to raise the inclination, but I wouldn't recommend doing that and just keeping the keyboard flat on the table for stability.

Anti-Ghosting on this keyboard is good, compared to nightmare stories of the Logitech Illuminated. This keyboard would easily support any practical 4key combination horizontal-wise on the keyboard (e.g. ASKL, QWOP, QWNM, ZXCV,etc.). The USB specification model supports up to 6keys in the same fashion without issue, while the PS/2 version (should) support even more configurations, up to at least 8 keys held down which is useful for other rhythm games

The keys themselves are of traditional form factor, where keys are packed adjacent to each other. The traditional, squarish form with the grade of plastic used gives the keycaps a very sturdy build, with no flexing when you hold down the keys hard. Don't expect keys to break in half; they won't. In comparison, most newer keyboards found on e.g. laptops have "island keys", where each key are spaced out and seperate from each other, and usually rounded off at the corners (see: Apple Macbook Pro Keyboards). These keyboards usually tend to have keycaps of poorer durability and are made of softer grade plastic

Most importantly, How does it feel? Comparatively with other flat keyboards, the keystrokes are firm. It might be a little stiff, but you are -sure- that a key is pressed when you press it properly, giving it good responsive feedback. This gives good response for accuracy; its decent for MAing files on Stepmania and definitely PA for FFR. It makes it easier to control on tricky patterns; the firmness of the keys ensure that you don't accidently mash random keys. This also gives good response of jacks albeit at the cost of being a little stiffer than some other KBs, but in practice isn't really a huge thing. It probably means that when playing really fast files you might lose stamina and tire out faster than some other models

When you press a key, there is a notable key-travel distance too which further confirms the response that you -know- when you pressed a key down properly. After about two years of using, the feel of the keys are still about the same so I'd say there shouldn't be a break-in period for use.

My guess would that tactility wise, the keyboard would feel similar to a Logitech Illuminated

The keys are of scissor-lift build mostly present on older laptops and high-end flat keyboards, giving the keys better stability and feel. They help in ensuring the flat keys do not wobble around much, given the thinness.
Picture of a scissor lift key

Caps/Scroll/Numlock are in green LEDs if that matters

Conclusion? If you are looking for a no-nonsense design keyboard with the keystroke feel characteristics above, and for the price point, this keyboard would be a good choice. In short; good for MA, firm and sure keypresses but ever so *slightly* stiffer than comparable models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year

Last edited by LongGone; 02-22-2012 at 10:12 PM..
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #29
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I reviewed 11 kb's in this vid
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...hp?songid=9007
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #30
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Why are wireless keyboards even. If you're going to play this game seriously, your best bet is a wired mechanical keyboard. It doesn't get much better in terms of response time.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
RuGuru
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to RuGuru Send a message via MSN to RuGuru Send a message via Skype™ to RuGuru

Anything wireless generally sucks when it comes to gaming.
RuGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Any debate on Mechanical Keyboards vs Membrane or Scissor Switches?

My notion is that people find mechanical keyboards less suited for rhythm games in particular because of their higher travel distance (usually 4mm vs 2mm on scissor switch boards). This mostly applies to Cherry MX switches; I know less input about alps and buckling switches though I suppose the issue with those could be in fast, repeated keystrokes.

However, travel distance (as well as tactility in non-linear switches like Cherry MX Browns, Blues, etc) can be reduced with things like o-ring dampeners and landing pads. With a ghetto mod I made from o-rings and staples (don't ask unless you're really interested..) I was able to reduce the travel distance of my Cherry MX Browns basically to that of a scissor switch, yet retaining an overall much higher durability (spring vs rubber dome).

I put mechanical keyboards into the mix because I really know how to wear out a scissor switch or membrane switch. On my laptop right now I've managed to rip one of the rubber domes and dislocate another because of excessive typing and rhythm gaming. Though I won't count out good rubber dome and scissor switch boards because some of them really do last and work great for gaming.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

Here's a few reviews, feel free to add to this list

http://www.staiain.net/StepMania/smw....php/Keyboards
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #34
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Oh cool i also have the Logitech Illuminated
Probably the best keyboard i have ever gotten its great!

ShadowSpawn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to m0de

$210 later..

ill give my review on the kensington after i use it a bit
Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

Seems Logitech Illuminated is the new star here, but lemme add that I used that keyboard for 1.5 year, switched to a mechanical and could beat old scores right away, just sayin if someone considers a new keyboard I recommend trying out a mechanical one first and see if you can play with it, even though it's not flat the superior response and the lighter activation force of the mech one is gonna give you some sick skill potential once you're used to it (tho I'd only recommend mech kb's with brown switches and that the keyboard have a wrist pad)
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I used to use a freakin crusty old Dell keyboard before i got the Loitech Illuminated xD

Dude... it's like if youre link and fighting while wearing the iron boots!! (ocarina of time)

After i got the Imlluminated i could finally give it my true potential, wayyy better PA, less effort, more stamina and ofcourse more speed.

Point is, dont settle with a keyboard because youre used to it, cause chances are you dont know how much better another keyboard can be.

I love my logitech Illuminated, but this thread interested me because i wanna see if someone finds an even better one

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #38
Anaru
Banned
FFR Veteran

i might invest $60 or so on a mech keyboard
had my logitech illuminated for 3 years but it's going strong ;o ;o so i dunno.
Anaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #39
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaru View Post
i might invest $60 or so on a mech keyboard
had my logitech illuminated for 3 years but it's going strong ;o ;o so i dunno.
I have also thought of getting a mech KB. (but a good one)
They usually last FIVE times longer than new "membrane" Keyboards.
Not determined by time, but obviously by key stroke, and thats very important for rhythm gaming ofcourse.

Many mechanical keyboards are still out there and few companies actually continued making them; also most of the time theyre actually very cheap!
Gameplay might feel weird, but ive had 3 mech KB before my illuminated and im pretty sure the mech KBs could last wayyy longer lol
Mech KB are like bricks lol very sturdy and tough indeed ;D
just hard to find one that has that "softer" feel.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #40
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

Wireless keyboards are pretty much pointless if you use your computer at a desk or something.

But if you're like me and have your computer hooked into your flatscreen HDTV, wireless keyboards/mice enable you to sit back and relax in your sofa while gaming/working/postwhoring/etc.

Most HDTv's and modern computers will at the very least have an HDMI port which can be used to connect the two. (However my TV does have RGB, S-Video, HDMI, and DVI ports. I do recommend using HDMI if at all possible since it has the highest throughput)
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote