Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-5-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Netflix animoo discussion

I didn't even know there were adult people who watched dubs TBH O_o just read the damn subtitles it ain't hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2014, 01:34 PM   #22
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

It's easily one of the most stylish amines ever made. Great character development, plot, story, and action, I'm not sure what's not to love about it.
Old 04-5-2014, 01:37 PM   #23
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

(Ps if you need reference)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Jdoyle
Old 04-5-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrafta View Post
It's easily one of the most stylish amines ever made. Great character development, plot, story, and action, I'm not sure what's not to love about it.
yeah, sure, I'll give it that. You should check out Space Dandy if you like Samurai Champloo so much though. Panty and Stocking is also another stylish animu that set itself apart from the rest.

Just saying there's a huge world of anime out there that you aren't noticing because you have Netflix goggles on rofl.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2014, 01:39 PM   #25
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

(I only started Netflix animoo a few months back, almost 10 years of torrenting anime)
Old 04-5-2014, 01:41 PM   #26
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

<insert e-peen of animu here>

do u even lift
but yeah check out Space Dandy. I told you about it when it started airing and it's like you ignored me rofl It's directed by the same guy as Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. Knowing your tastes as specified in this thread it really would appeal to you.
Old 04-5-2014, 01:47 PM   #27
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Well, one of my issues is that I can't stand watching subtitles anymore, which is why I only watch dubs now. English dubs have some pretty good VA's (Crispin Freeman and Cherimie Leigh come to mind), and I find it a hell of a lot more convenient to be able to look away and still follow the dialogue.

Plus Japanese screaming is annoying
Old 04-5-2014, 02:15 PM   #28
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Wild Yesssssss appears
Old 04-5-2014, 02:47 PM   #29
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm trying to think of more to contribute to this thread, but Netflix on its own doesn't have THAT much anime, that I can make all kinds of recommendations and stuff.

I mean, since it's Netflix, I guess I can recommend stuff like SnK and SaO, since the competition is, you know... Sekirei. Even though I'd probably never recommend them normally.

If you don't mind that it's an amorphous blob of coagulated Shoujo wet dreams, Ouran Host Club isn't THAT bad a way to kill a few hours. Just to say you've seen it. Think of it as a trial. Bonus points for enduring the dub.

Or just watch something good :/ Yeah my idea tank's empty.
Old 04-5-2014, 02:51 PM   #30
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

I just wanted a Netflix animoo thread because of how convenient it is to have. Personally I hate using my computer, and downloading is a hassle because I just don't have the patience anymore to sit around torrenting. 95% of my computer usage is on my tablet/phone, and my laptop pretty much collects dust now that walking dead is over for the season.
Old 04-5-2014, 02:58 PM   #31
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

panty and stocking is legit amazing
Old 04-5-2014, 03:22 PM   #32
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

oh hey wait, gimme a list of what there is on American Netflix for anime. Here in Canada we have a shit selection for ANYTHING on Netflix, so it's probably better there.
Old 04-9-2014, 02:04 PM   #33
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

I managed to finish Sekirei season 1. No chance in hell I'll try to finish season 2, that shit was absolutely terrible

Thankfully the other two I watched ended up being pretty decent.

Baka and Test I found to be kind of silly at first, but then I started noticing all sorts of subtle jokes they kept throwing in everywhere, such as a fountain of a bent over angel spewing water diarrhea out of its ass in the background, and how the camera lens would go from normal to flaccid every time the guy was disappointed. Plus some of the running gags were quite funny.

Princess Jellyfish kind of caught me by surprise. I just threw it on because it was TV14 and made in 2010, figure I'd give it a shot.

Boy was I surprised. Hooked after the first episode, and it certainly didn't go in the direction I was expecting it to from the beginning until the end. It was hugely addictive and I got through the whole thing in one sitting. No regrets, one of hue he best I've seen on netflix thus far
Old 04-9-2014, 02:18 PM   #34
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'd recommend reading the rest of Princess Jellyfish manga. It was one of the best I've ever read.

Also might as well add me and most of the other anime watchers to the boners list. I don't even want to know how fucked up the "voice acting" in princess jellyfish was. I don't really consider most dubs voice acting since they basically just read the lines. There are a few exceptions obviously, but dubs have a horrible reputation.

Not sure why anyone would watch anime on netflix though.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2014, 02:22 PM   #35
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
exactly what snowc said. it's super convenient. I can spend time looking for a decent torrent (which is ILLEGAL!!!!), or find a low-quality stream on whatever site, or I can use a service I'm already paying for and watch high quality video on my TV with basically no setup time involved.

personally I don't watch much in general and I don't limit myself to netflix, but the reasons are there.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2014, 02:32 PM   #36
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Quote:
I'd recommend reading the rest of Princess Jellyfish manga. It was one of the best I've ever read.

Also might as well add me and most of the other anime watchers to the boners list. I don't even want to know how fucked up the "voice acting" in princess jellyfish was. I don't really consider most dubs voice acting since they basically just read the lines. There are a few exceptions obviously, but dubs have a horrible reputation.

I've noticed most people who swear by subs are usually much more hardcore into it, and generally identify as purists. I used to be one as well, because I was so used to Japanese and was enamored by the language. Slowly, over time, I began to find the language annoying to listen to, so I switched to dubs and never looked back.

I tried to watch squid girl, but the amount of squid puns was just,

Well, the ink puking was quite funny.

I switched over to Moon Phase, figure I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-9-2014, 02:43 PM   #37
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
exactly what snowc said. it's super convenient.
Still more inconvenient than downloading so that isn't much of a reason.

Quote:
I can spend time looking for a decent torrent (which is ILLEGAL!!!!), or find a low-quality stream on whatever site.
Spending 1 seconds to type in the name on nyaa or AB isn't exactly a lot of time. Maybe another 5 seconds to click the resolution and quality you want.

Quote:
or I can use a service I'm already paying for and watch high quality video on my TV with basically no setup time involved.
or I can not pay for a service where the majority of the content I don't want and proceed to watch much higher quality video on my tv from my computer with even less setup.

Quote:
but the reasons are there.
People who don't care about quality and the inconvenience of being locked into a specific viewing format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrafta View Post
I've noticed most people who swear by subs are usually much more hardcore into it, and generally identify as purists.
Some people are crazy. It isn't about things being from Japan being better, it is about the effort put into quality voice acting. In Japan anime voice acting is a big deal, but it isn't for anime dubs. The voice acting is often very poor quality. Dubs "can" be just as good or better than the original voice acting if the effort and talent was put into it.
Old 04-9-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Netflix isn't for everyone, izzy. Most people, however, don't have a problem spending the equivalent of half a large pizza a month on a fantastic video streaming service with a huge amount of variety.
Old 04-9-2014, 02:49 PM   #39
Izzy
Snek

I'd pay 10 times the amount of a netflix subscription for a service equivalent to high quality torrents. It's not about the money. Unfortunately there is no legitimate service that offers the same quality and convenience so I don't really care. I try buying other anime goods to help compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
Plus, if the Japanese VA's aren't very good then it's a lot harder for us to tell compared to an English VA.
Not that hard to tell, but I'd agree it is harder. One example that comes to mind is Ed from cowboy bebop in Japanese. The voice acting was basically as flat as 90% of dubs.
Old 04-9-2014, 02:54 PM   #40
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
or I can not pay for a service where the majority of the content I don't want and proceed to watch much higher quality video on my tv from my computer with even less setup.
well I wasn't trying to convince you that you should be watching anime on netflix lol. you said you didn't understand why anyone else would, and I gave you reasons.

plenty of people (myself included) have never heard of nyaa or AB, find video quality on netflix to be perfectly acceptable, already pay for netflix to watch other movies and shows, and don't have a convenient setup to output stuff from computer to TV.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote