Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
XRitaX
FFR Player

Default "Why Can't I Be You?"

I was recently watching a new show on MTV, and I couldn’t help by write about it.
The show is called “Why can’t I be you?”
For those of you who aren’t aware of it… The whole purpose of the show is to transform someone into whom he/she envy/admire in a matter of 48 hours. They must live together, hangout together for that mount of time.
The idea of the show is pretty simple to me, somewhat fun to watch. However, what I don’t find so pleasant is how other people need their self-esteem to be busted up by some stranger who they happen to admire during a course of time. The first one I saw was about some girl who recently moved to LA, and is very shy, she admires another girl that works across the street in a lingerie store. This girl seriously does need some confidence in herself along with major wardrobe makeover. She happens to achieve this with the help of the lingerie worker girl. So this one wasn’t really a big deal, the girl just needed some self-confidence, and become a bit more buoyancy.
The next couple of ones I saw were pathetic. This one caught my attention most:
The typical cheerleader wants to be like some “punk rock chick”. I think it’s pathetic! Not the whole “cheerleader wants to go punk” by really because it shows me that to become a better person you have to change the way you look and what not. Seriously, it’s like creating a clone. Why can’t people be happy the way they are. Okay, I admit not all of us are, and it’s alright to make a change sometimes. But why change your appearance into someone else that you can’t! It’s not you! It’s just you trying to pose as someone your not. And trust me… you don’t go from listening to Britney Spears… to having a nose-ring, crazy hair, band/vintage band shirts, and hanging out at some local rock show (of a band you have no clue about) over night!
XRitaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: "Why Can't I Be You?"

I caught this show. For me, it seems like a peer guided version of Made. I think they did a relatively good job with it.

Regarding the whole changing self thing: I believe that one's self is best defined by deciding what the self is not. In other words, a person must try many things to decide what is for them. This show is an example of trying new things... new things which may or may not be incorperated into the self.

For example, in the cheerleader to punk rock chick episode, I do believe she said she wouldn't make a complete change. She said that she would take parts of it that she liked and make them a part of her, while maintaining her cheerleader persona. For her, I believe the experience was also a huge social experiment to find out if her friends would support her.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
XRitaX
FFR Player

Default Re: "Why Can't I Be You?"

You made a very interesting point. I found what you said in some of the episodes. Like the one I mentioned about the girl from LA.
XRitaX is offline   Reply With Quote