Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Send a message via AIM to whorlichan
Default One less wisdom tooth = one less unit of wisdom

OW MY FACE.

My wisdom teeth have always been more like those annoying wannabe wise men who kind of dance around and don't actually do anything, and then curl up and scream in pain when they try to, say, walk barefoot over hot coals. I had one removed (lower left) 3 years ago, and was told at the time that the other 3 shouldn't need to come out for 10 years or so.

Imagine my surprise then, when the lower right one started screaming in pain several times a day, to the point where I added 3 advil to my pharmaceutical collection every morning, noon, and night. Dr. Yerro (the scary Filipino holistic dentist dude) said it had to come out and he could do it, but I'd have to be in California for at least 2 weeks after the surgery. Uh, NO. I came back home and talked to my dentist here, who doesn't touch wisdom teeth (direct quote: "The last time I even SAW a wisdom tooth was in my residency...several hundred years ago.") and who referred me to an oral surgeon. According to the dentist though, the tooth could come out under a local anesthetic rather than a full sedation, which is good because my insurance doesn't cover sedation and my parents don't have $5000 to pay for full anesthetic and surgery.

I scheduled it for this morning, because I need at the very minimum 2 days of going nowhere, hopped up on Percocet type resting. I get there--and the guy says I need full sedation after all. A lot of talking and whining about money and he agrees to do it under a local + laughing gas, and be done within an hour. Mike's in the waiting room to drive me home so all is cool, and I sit down in the scary chair.

They let me have my mp3 player on during everything. I asked because I've read somewhere that music makes it easier to handle pain. The truth is, I think the music gave me something else to concentrate on while my mind was kind of out of it from the laughing gas--I think more than anything that getting my mind off of what they were doing helped a lot.

The laughing gas made me feel kind of drugged up (which I guess I was?)--time seemed to go very very slowly, it was hard to focus, and when I did focus it was very pointed--like, when the music was playing it was what Eyal Golan was saying at that very moment, rather than music + outside stimulus. My eyes were all unfocused (admittedly, they did make me take my glasses off) and I kept feeling like my whole body was very warm and very tingly. I think the doctor and his assistant were talking during the surgery--to each other that is--but I couldn't hear them although I could see their mouths moving. I could be wrong though, because when they talked to me I heard them clearly.

He was done in less than a half hour. They made me sit there with gauze in my mouth for like 10 minutes and left it there when I left--I was to keep it in for another 45 minutes to make sure I wasn't bleeding to death out of my tooth. He gave me a script for Percocet which I filled immediately because me and pain medication are great friends

Mike keeps saying I look deformed and funny but he says that when my face ISN'T entirely swollen and/or hidden by a towel full of ice too, so I'm not taking it too hard. The ice stays on for 20 minutes and off for 20 minutes, and I think I'm supposed to do that until the meds put me to sleep.

Today I'm not allowed to eat, only drink clear liquids and NEVER through a straw because straws are DOOM. Tomorrow and for the next week I'm allowed ice cream, mashed potatoes, yogurt and the like. By next Friday I'm allowed soft pasta. And by next Monday I should be fine, but still careful about eating stuff that's crunchy or leaves crumbs.

Overall it was not nearly as bad as I expected. The only pain I've felt so far is when he injected me with the anesthetic before the laughing gas took full control of me. I've not yet taken my medication because I don't think it's necessary yet. I'm sure I will be screaming and crying at some point though.
My friend Cassie's amazing photography
whorlichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda
Default Re: One less wisdom tooth = one less unit of wisdom

My parents found me pretty hilarious when I got my wisdom teeth out.

Except when I woke up on the couch, had no idea where I was, and started thrashing about and trying to rip the gauze out of my mouth. Then I was less funny and more annoying.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

I believe it is the duty of everyone that get their wisdom teeth pulled out to scare younglings with stories of how they screamed in agony on the car trip back home, literally crawled up the stairs, passed out in exhaustion before they reached their bed, and when they woke up discovered that they're covered in drool.

Those stories are the best.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omeganitros
I believe it is the duty of everyone that get their wisdom teeth pulled out to scare younglings with stories of how they screamed in agony on the car trip back home, literally crawled up the stairs, passed out in exhaustion before they reached their bed, and when they woke up discovered that they're covered in drool.

Those stories are the best.
Unfortunately I am not nearly as cool as Tass's ex who vomited blood for a week...

But I do wake up covered in drool sometimes. It's usually HIS.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Only one removed? Damn, you've got it good.

I had all 4 of mine removed not long ago. Now that sucks. It's fun eating food you can only swallow...oh wait, that's after I was able to open my mouth enough to get it in XD

I remember coming home feeling really good, putting on a movie and then falling asleep. I woke up like 2 hours later and suddenly realized the pain killer wasn't working anymore. Now that really hurt XD

My operation was pretty fast too, around 30 minutes. I didn't have to wait around though afterwards o_O and had to keep the gauze in for awhile. I needed like, multiple gauzes. They bled for so long XD

Anyway, getting your wisdom teeth removed is fun...oh wait, no it isn't.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorlichan
Unfortunately I am not nearly as cool as Tass's ex who vomited blood for a week...

But I do wake up covered in drool sometimes. It's usually HIS.
Aw.

My only scary story is that my dad, fearing I would grow dependent on the pain pills, took them away after I was only allowed to take them once, so then I had to deal with the whole "OW MY FACE" without any medical aid.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

I've never had any removed.

Hopefully never will, seeing as how I have no insurance for anything save plpd on my car...... -_-
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
psychic25
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to psychic25 Send a message via MSN to psychic25

Sup I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday =O.

It was full sedation through an IV drip, so the surgery was nothing. But now they're starting to swell up, and when my Tylenol wears off, both sides of my mouth start swelling up like crazy.

So I've spent the last 24 hours drooling into trash cans :P.
psychic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

I got all four of mine removed last year... no swelling or anything.

And I think they did the same thing to you that they did to me, just local anesthetic and gas... except I have a feeling they gave me a lot more gas because I was basically chilled the **** out for the whole hour. My only memory is a hazy image of the doctor with his blue mouth thing hovering over me. And at first it was just like... hmm I'm tingling. Oh now I can't feel my body, but I can still move it. And then I was chilled out.

Afterwards (also on percocet) I was incredibly docile. Like at the time I thought I was in a completely normal state of awareness, but looking back I realized I wasn't. Like it didn't even occur to me that the **** they had wrapped over my face and whatnot would look weird to people that saw me. And if I did realize it... I probably wouldn't have cared. But that's opiates for you, I guess.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

I swear to god, everyone's getting their wisdom teeth removed now. Maybe it's something in the air. My riding instructor just got hers removed. My dad (who is like 55) has to get one of his removed because it's giving him pain like what and he just drinks milkshakes and eats mashed potatoes and stuff. He has to get a cap on his other tooth because it's fractured. I mean i've been through my share of pain (i've had about 12 teeth pulled because they never came out. 5 teeth out at once when i was like 10/11 :\), and i'm probably going to have to have my wisdom teeth out.

I can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
darkavatar1
FFR Player

yeah, i had to have mine removed as well. Hurt like a bunch of unnamed profanities. I feel for you, i really do.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Spazzbite
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Spazzbite Send a message via MSN to Spazzbite Send a message via Yahoo to Spazzbite

Wisdom Teeth are fuuuuuuun to get removed. I woke up and didn't know where I was for three days, but didn't care because I got a ton of ice cream and pudding. The best part was when my stitches fell out while I thought they were dissolving, and was scared ****less, like I thought I pulled them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicker
shades don't break unless you break them.
Spazzbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:17 AM   #13
Silver_Brian
¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(o_°)/¯
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope I don't have to get mine removed. Apparently I have really good teeth, so I haven't had to have braces or anything so far... man I still hate dentists though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogle-master
i now have another excuse to grow a dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFishRevolution View Post
"i've seen your little boy's penis"
Silver_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:42 AM   #14
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

My dentists treat me like ROYALTY.

See, I get my dental work done at a local college where they teach people Dentistry and stuff. You sign up to let students do their stuff on your teeth. BUT IT SO RULES. First off, they constantly kiss your ass and are as careful as possible with your mouth because you're their grade. After they do their work, they have a teacher/professor/doctor/whatever come by and they make sure the student did it right, and if they didn't, then that person does it for them. So when I lay down in the chair, they give me sunglasses so I can sleep, give me a blanket to futher enhance my sleep, and all I have to do is keep my mouth open.

PLUS, my mom tells me it's a ****-load cheaper than going to a regular dentist.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #15
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

I had mine out about 4 years ago...

Got it done on a Friday (all 4), was back in school on Monday. No pain pills, no sedation... nada. No pain either.

It was not bad at all.

I have no scare story for wisdom teeth. Alas.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #16
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to msbrunnettemickey Send a message via MSN to msbrunnettemickey

I am getting two removed right after my birthday.
Now that sucks.

בקצה השמיים, ובסוף המדבר, יש מקום רחוק מלא פרחי בר
מקום קטן, עלוב ומשוגע, מקום רחוק מקום לדאגה
יש אומרים שם שמשיקרה וחושבים אל כל מה שקרה
אלוהים שם יושב ורואה ושומר אל כל משברא
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
msbrunnettemickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #17
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

My sister opted to wait until summer vacation to have hers removed so she wouldn't miss school.

I missed school, work, practice, rehearsals -- everything. I make the most of bedrest.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #18
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Bedrest? What is this "bedrest"?

I spent the first day sleeping a little...and then watching basketball with Tass and his honorary brother and his girlfriend and his dad. And apparently the laughing gas was still in effect because I talked about sports. A LOT. And sort of intelligently, or at least correctly.

Second day I spent being yelled at because the laundry wasn't getting done and the dog was pooping on the floor, etc etc., and then we went and got hammered at the Ho Ho (sometimes known as the Horsham Inn, Ye Olde Drinker's Dump) with Tass's brothers and their wives/girlfriends and the aforementioned honorary brother and my roommate. There was much drinking and eating of not-approved-by-oral-surgeon foods.

And today...More laundry. And doggy poop. And Tass making very strange noises.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #19
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I was on my back for two days. It was glorious.