Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG
Default Artist Names..

Since I am asked a lot what the hell SpookG means, I'm going to settle it here once and for all, and open up a topic for all the artists to let everyone find out why they chose the particular name for themselves.

I think this is kind of important, because it gives you a lot of insight into the person behind the music, which I believe is like poetry, in that if you don't know the background behind the pieces you only get half the message of the piece.

Of course, I might get inspiration differently than most maybe..who knows.. moving on..

SpookG is short for SpookGoblin, in case no one figured that out. It has no spaces because I am lazy, that's the official way, but I really don't care.

It started as a screenname I used to have , about 7 years ago, when I played a lot of text based RPGs online. Spook was a goblin shaman, hence goblin, who would meddle a lot with the undead, hence the Spook part. So when I started making music I couldn't think up a name, so I just used the one I already had thinking "what the hell?" and it sticked ever since.

Yeah, the story behind it is really lame, I'll be the first to admit it, but ever since my close friends started calling me Spook I'm somewhat stuck with the name forever now.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
squarebear
FFR Music Producers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

When I first started making music I couldn't think of a name for myself so I came up with DJ Stevoid as everyone at the time had DJ in his or her name and my real name is Steve. A friend later told me that the name sounded a little stupid so I shortened it to DJ Void. I stuck with that for a year or two then one of my friends suggested that I drop the DJ part. I didn't fancy just being called Void as it sounded empty and black, so I tried to think of a new name.

I was sat in my local bar one night, trying to think of a new name and I was struggling so I asked my friend for advice. We thought it would be funny if the DJ turned up to play his set with an anorak, big thick glasses and his records in a plastic carrier bag, totally different from the usual DJ characters. That's where the square part came from, I just added bear to make it rhyme. My friends liked it, as did I, so I kept that name.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:51 PM   #3
JustJono
FFR Player

Right now, I'm debating a starter name. Right now, I have all my mp3's labelled Jono. I'm choosing between Just Jono and Jono.

I got the name Jono because my classmates all shortened my name from Jonathan to Jono, so I started calling myself that, and then my family started calling me Jono. I made the name Just Jono when I was looking for a cool way to label my nickname. Just Jono sounded quite nice.

I want to pick Jono because, it's me. It's just a short nickname, nothing complicated or hard to remember. I don't want to pick it, because I'll sound like Bono.
Just Jono sounds nice too but.. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Jono.asp
JustJono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
eyespewgreekfire
FFR Player

i just kinda sat down and thought "im gonna be DJ Ascent." Not really anything special, and its rather chiche with the DJ part. Ill probably change it in a year or two.

eyespewgreekfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Patt.22 is short for Pattern Twenty-Two. On my little Yamaha DJX box, my favorite pattern was 22. That's how that came about. Originally, Patt.22 was going to be a group project, so I also came up with the name djJ33k.F (pronounced DeejayJeekef) which many found extremly hard to pronounce for some reason. But my friends dropped out, so I became djJ33k.F and Patt.22.

A few months later, there was a new artist on FFR going by the name SpookGoblin. I really enjoyed his song "Dendrite" and I wanted to know what program he used. So I PMed him. He told me he used Buzzmachines. After about another month of working on buzz, I finally made my first song. Because the sound and style was so different from my djJ33k.F works, I decided a need a new name. I remember my stoner friend talking about the Fatso Soboba....so I adapted that to The Fat's Sabobah.

I later just came up with a bunch of other aliases just to confuse people for fun (Europa, The Twenty-Two Tap, You are the Space Cadet and many others)

-----
JustJono sort of sounds like a coffee shop in my opinion. I think Jono sounds fine. But you need more random letters to confuse people.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:33 AM   #6
JustJono
FFR Player

Jewpin, Europa sounds nice actually.

ACTUALLY, I have more. Someone on these breakdancing forums called me Juno instead of Jono. I don't know if it was from misreading or a constant typo, but it sounded pretty nice too. I tried to be DJ Juno, but then became awake of the J that was already in "Juno". So I took the J out of "DJ" and became DJ Uno. I'm not sure if I wanna go back to those names or not. But as you can see, I have more than just Jono (no pun intended.)

Old 12-30-2003, 04:16 AM   #7
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

I hate to sound like an asshole, but it pisses me off that people who don't spin at all consider themselves DJs, so how about you drop the BS and leave the DJ part out of all your names.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:41 AM   #8
deathspnay
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookG
I hate to sound like an asshole, but it pisses me off that people who don't spin at all consider themselves DJs, so how about you drop the BS and leave the DJ part out of all your names.
So in other words you don't like posers. Well.. neither do I. :/
deathspnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:48 AM   #9
squarebear
FFR Music Producers

Quote:
I totally agree. I'm on a music forum where most of the members are called DJ whatever and only a small percentage of them have ever spun. I wouldn't call myself a hairdresser if I wasn't one so why call yourself a DJ? (not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general comment)
Old 12-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #10
eyespewgreekfire
FFR Player

Ill change my name in a bit. Sorry if I offended anyone. When I named myself, I was so ignorant not to know the difference between artists and DJs.

Old 12-30-2003, 05:08 PM   #11
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Quote:
I feel the same way. That is why I dropped that djJ33k.F. After all, it was supposed to be a joke.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:46 PM   #12
SuperGreenX
Tangy music sauce maker
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to SuperGreenX

One of my favorite movies is The Fifth Element. In this SciFi future movie, people like to say 'green' instead of 'cool' or 'good'. So, I'm "Super-COOL!!!!!". Also, green can mean new or inexperienced. I was very green when I started making those crappy loop songs, so it fit. Why the X? Well, I actually had the X for a while in an AIM screen name (plain old SuperGreen was taken!! Bastard!). X is much cooler than a bunch of random numbers after a name. SuperGreen10929428? I think not. When I needed a new singular name after my group Planet3 split, I decided to keep the X since abbrevieating SuperGreenX is "SGX" which is...hardcore or something? And no, my name doesn't have anything to do with the Xbox (green and X? hehe). I made this name like 4 years ago.

Wonderful Bite - New SGX Album! You can get it for free, yo!
SuperGreenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:31 PM   #13
eyespewgreekfire
FFR Player

you just copied that from your website SGX....
whatever, i dont care.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:20 PM   #14
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Laziness > Eyespewgreekfire

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:40 PM   #15
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

The Fifth element was an awesome movie.

Before I knew what SpookGoblin came from, I thought SpookG might have been racist.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:22 AM   #16
RageVI
FFR Music Producers

Send a message via AIM to RageVI

Uhmm.. I started using the name Rage when I was playing online games with my brother...and continued to use that alias (in different forms, since Rage is pretty common) in all other places. When I signed up for Newgrounds, I signed up as RageVI, because it's original, and roman numerals are better than numbers. I didn't really care what number the roman numerals made, but I thought VI looked the coolest. That's about it..
Old 12-31-2003, 03:53 PM   #17
SuperGreenX
Tangy music sauce maker
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to SuperGreenX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespewgreekfire
you just copied that from your website SGX....
whatever, i dont care.
Yes. I could have linked to the page its on though. that would have been more lazy

Wonderful Bite - New SGX Album! You can get it for free, yo!
SuperGreenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2004, 02:10 AM   #18
DJCynispin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DJCynispin

The progression:

DJ Tenderfoot <---Name given to me when I was still a b-boy (breakdancer) that I added a "DJ" in front of. At this point I thought I would be spinning hiphop/breaks/old-school funk & hiphop

DJ Cinnamon <---I had a friend by the name of DJ Spice. Thought it would be cool to be Cinnamon & Spice. I now realize how gay this was...

DJ Spinnamon <---A funny soundin take on Cinnamon, and sounded kinda "ragga-ish" which suited me well for the jungle/dnb I was spinnin at the time.

Cynispin <---My current name. A friend of mine was making some joke when I told him I was changin my dj name, and he said I should call myself "DJ Sit and Spin." hahaalololollmao omg that is funny... So anyway, I somehow led myself to something that sounded similar. That's when I got "Cynispin" which is a mix of cynical and spin (the turn for dj mixing for ya'll who don't habla turntable) and I have stuck with it ever since. The only change is taking off the DJ.
DJCynispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2004, 03:11 AM   #19
JustJono
FFR Player

Nice man, you don't break no more?

I just pop cause I'm too lazy ass to practice my actual moves. I had some nice footwork and was on the verge of getting crickets when I quit. I was also obsessed with airchairs.

Old 01-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #20
djco2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to djco2 Send a message via MSN to djco2 Send a message via Yahoo to djco2

haha, I've had tons...
1st=DJ Zeon X - This name came from an online RPG name, just like Spook. It was just a cool name (Zeon) that I thought of. It turned out that on Gundam and other things, that name was slightly common...so after a few months...
2nd=DJ Xeon - Still pronounced the same, I threw out the Z and moved the X. It looks cooler too. lol This still being my current RPG name (and other games), I hung onto it for a while. Then I found out what DJ stood for, so I ditched that...lol
3rd=Xeon - not really much of an advance, but hey, it works. Now my goal was to earn back the DJ title, because my name sounded kind of empty without it. In the process of earning money from local underground card tournements(Pokemon and DBZ CCG), I found that Xeon was also taken already by a Bloody Roar game...(I still have Xeon for RPGs and such). So I decided to seek a new name. At about this time, I rolled along a title called FreQuency for PS2. This was a perfect opertunity to get a new name. Don't ask why. I don't know, I just had the idea it was. For the time being, I used Xeon for my FreQ(character).
4th=DJ Co2 - I was nearing my first set of turntables and a mixer when I came along the table of elements for homework in science...I noticed that it had examples of scientific equations at the bottom, and one of them was for Carbon dioxide(Co2). It sounded cool, and rung in my ear for a while. After talkin with some friends, it sounded like a good name, and had a little catch behind it. Dioxide=2 Oxygen...So basically my music is essential, like oxygen! lol And so you have my current name. I might end up changing it, but I've had it a while. ^_^