Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-8-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Super Nintendo (General snes gaming thread)

Now you're playing with power. Super power.
Hello FFR friends! IcyWorld here, and welcome to my Super Nintendo general thread. In this thread we can all get together and spend time playing the great goldmine of Super Nintendo games. Whether you're into platforming, racing, simulation, shoot'em ups, space shooters, exploring, adventure, fantasy adventure, harvest moon, or any other kind of game; Super Nintendo is bound to have something that will tickle your fancy. Or if you have never played any Super Nintendo games before, now would be a great chance to get started! I'll update the thread with a link to your posts, feel free to brag about a game you have a super speed run time on, 100%'ed, beaten, favorites, or plan to play/beat, also feel free to write reviews, recommendations, and comments in your post about any game you've played! This thread will hopefully cure you of any boredom you may be having, and you'll work your way to being a better gamer!
This thread's goal is to get a lot of people talking about and playing Super Nintendo games!

Alright introductions out of the way; as you may or may not know on my profile I currently have a list of 75 Super Nintendo games. I plan to beat most of them. It's been a blast so far! I found games I never knew about and they were just mind blowingly fun. Most notably I found Sparkster, ActRaiser, and Secret of Mana to be quite extraordinary! Currently I'm enjoying various Space Shooter games like Gradius III, Axelay, and Super R-Type. I play mostly using an emulator (zsnes), but if I see a game I like at Noble (a store dedicated to mostly selling and trading old games that aren't produced anymore) I usually buy it since they sell games pretty cheap.

IcyWorlds List
♥=Love IT
*=Games I've beaten
+=Need to beat again
-=Need to beat/can't remember the story/probably haven't beaten it before
###=currently playing

♥*ActRaiser
-ActRaiser 2
♥*Aladdin
*Axelay
-Breath of Fire
-Breath of Fire II
-Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble
-Chrono Trigger
-Contra III - The Alien Wars
+Donkey Kong Country
-Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest
-Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
-Demon's Crest
-Doom
-Earthbound
-Earthworm Jim
-Earthworm Jim 2
-Final Fantasy - Mystic Quest
-Final Fantasy II
-Final Fantasy III
-Final Fantasy 4
-Final Fantasy 6
-Fire Emblem 4 - Seisen no Keifu (Japan)
-Fire Emblem 5 - Thracia 776 (Japan)
*First Samurai
-F-ZERO
♥*Gradius III
-Hagane
+Kirby's Dream Land 3
-Kirby Super Star
♥+Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past
-Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
-Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals
+Mega Man X
-Mega Man X 2
-Mega Man X 3
-Metal Warriors
+Mortal Kombat I
+Mortal Kombat II
+Mortal Kombat III
-Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (-1st -2nd -3rd)
-Pocky & Rocky
-Pocky & Rocky 2
-R-Type III - The Third Lightning
-Secret of Evermore
###Secret of Mana
♥*Sim City
-Sky Blazer
♥*Sparkster
-Soul Blazer
+Star Fox
-Star Ocean
-Super Bomberman
-Super Bomberman 2
-Super Castlevania IV
*Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
*Super Mario All-Stars
-Super Mario Kart
♥*+Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars
♥*Super Mario World
♥*+Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island
♥*Super Metroid
-Super Metroid Redesign
♥*Super R-Type
-Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers
*Super Turrican
-Super Turrican 2
+Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Tournament Fighters
+The Lion King
-The Lost Vikings
-Uniracers
+Ys III - Wanderers from Ys
-Ys 4 - Mask of the Sun
-Zombies Ate My Neighbors

ActRaiser: In this game you play as god (though the game doesn't say so directly). There are 2 main parts to this game, platforming stages, and simulation stages. In the simulation stages you are an angel in an overworld type view. You fly around have to shoot monsters with your bow and arrow while directing your people where to build. The more people in your towns the higher your level. In the platforming stages your are a hero who wields a sword and you cut up monsters and jump over deadly spikes and bottomless pits, and then you fight a boss at the end of every stage. It's a fairly short game, with a total of 12 platform stages, 6 simulation stages, and a boss rush to end the game. It can be tough at first, but once you get a hang of the controls it's a lot of fun! The simulation stages aren't boring at all either in case you might be worried about that. All in all, it will take you about 6 to 7 hours to complete this game on your first try

Gradius III: Space space shooter goes dooter dooter dooter, I'm making sound effects like a computer game. This is a very fun yet tough space shooter game. You get upgrades such as speed ups, missiles, lasers, shields, and a thing called "option" (It's basically a red ball that helps you with fire power making it easier to kill enemies and you are able to get up to 4). There are 10 stages with a boss at the end of all of them, along with 1 part of the game where you fight 5 bosses in a row. If you die at any point you'll lose all your upgrades and it's very hard to win after, so it's usually a good idea to just start over. A very rough game but lots of fun once you figure out something that works for you. There's 3 difficulties; easy, medium, and hard, so if you really have to much trouble on the default difficulty you can always nudge it down to easy if you need too. Getting all the way through the game takes about 30 minutes provided you don't die, so it's a fairly short game but has a lot of replay value to it. This is my favorite space shooter game for the snes so far, and it has a really nice sound track as well!

Sim City: I grew up with this game as a kid for a few years. It's pretty simple, you pick a map and you build houses, parks, roads, train tracks, power stations, fire stations, police stations, industrial zones, commercial zones, air ports and sea ports. It's probably one of the easiest town simulators out of any game ever. People come to live in your city, once you have enough people in your city you get rewarded with something and you keep building your city. It sounds boring at first but once you start playing it, it's very easy to get into it and lose track of time. Especially with some of the chillest music you'll find on a Supre Nintendo game. Go for a Megalopolis! (500,000 people in your city)

Sparkster: In this game you control an Opossum Knight that flies around with a jetpack while cutting up enemies with a sword that can fire energy bolts. This is a very fast paced platformer, probably the fastest one I can think of! The gameplay is a lot of fun, there are lots of enemies, plenty of bosses, death traps, and various gameplay stages. There's one stage where you're in a giant robot punching out your arch nemesis! But for the most part you're running through differently themed areas slashing up anything in your way. This is a really fun game I highly recommend it! I'd say on your first time through this game would be about 2 or 3 hours long

Super Metroid: The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace... Samus Aran, having successfully completed her latest mission, sets off to find a new bounty to hunt but she doesn't get far. A distress call, an exploration of an abandoned research facility and an encounter with an old and unexpected enemy draw her back into the saga of the Metroids, and back to the site of her first ever encounter with them. This is seriously the greatest game you will ever play, you get power ups like crazy; morph ball, bombs, power bombs, missiles, super missiles, suit upgrades, charge beam, spazer/wave/ice/plasma beam upgrades, energy tanks, screw attack, hi-jump boots, space jump, you'll be so powerfull you'll feel invincible! This game has some great bosses and one of the most legendary final bosses ever: Mother Brain. The game is big with amazing graphics on a huge map system with plenty of puzzling areas, and even better the game control is phenomenal. This game is so good you can beat it over and over again and it just never gets boring! This game is absolutely a must-play game! On your first time going through it could take about 7-14 hours to complete, while once you get used to it and get really good you can easily beat it in 1 hour or less.
Even after beating this game multiple times, I look on the internet to find rom hacks of it just to continue to enjoy its spectacular gameplay!

darklordsarumon9
Herogashix's list
Kommisar's list
Popsicle3000's list
wildfireskunk's list
Next Persons snes list/favorites/reviews/recommendations (make a post)

TAS Videos:
Another really cool thing about Super Nintendo is a lot of people like to see how far they can push a game in its limits. So there's a site dedicated to making Tool Assisted Speedruns of most of the popular games. Basically that means a person slows down a game to where you can input a command for every frame, and then when you play it back at normal speed, it would be like a human playing with perfect reflexes, beating the game as fast as the game will allow for. Of course there are always new strategies being discovered for certain games, and new glitches being found to help speed up the beating of the game. It's all for entertainment purposes, and most games are beaten in an hour or less, so check them out if you're bored or are looking to kill some time or just want to be completely mind blown!
http://tasvideos.org/Movies-SNES.html

I hope a lot of people will be interested in this thread, with over 700 snes games I'd think everyone here had to have at least played and enjoyed a few of them

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 06-10-2012 at 11:03 AM..
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000
Default Re: Super Nintendo (General snes gaming thread)

ahhhh SNES RPGs...
Gold. *=favs
*Tales of Phantasia,
*Lufia 2,
*FF3,
Seikendetsu 3,
*Soublazer,
Secret of Mana,
Terranigma,
*Illusion of Gaia,
Donkey Kong 3

anyone who's played Lufia 2, tell me how many of the iris treasures you've gotten? I've gotten 7 so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
DayMan951
yfwdbwdsb
FFR Veteran

i still love my super nintendo. every now and then i go back to super mario world to either 100% it or work on my speedrun. right now my best time is like 12:37 which isn't that good, but i haven't put that much effort into getting better. still one of my all time favorite games along with super mario kart, which i just got on ebay a couple weeks ago.
DayMan951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I have 133 SNES games (actual carts I'm not a ***et) and could make a bunch of recommendations.
Old 06-8-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Evascythe
evascythe
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Evascythe

The best game ever made is still Donkey Kong Country 2. No game will ever beat it. I mean best game ever made for any console... not just the SNES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
I love your avatar and you seem like a chill dude
Evascythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Ahh...my SNES. Gaming system of my childhood (that and the N64). I just finished beating A Link to the Past 100% a few weeks ago, it's always fun doing that. There are a bunch of other games I also want to re-play, like Donkey Kong Country (didn't play 2 or 3, I need to), Starfox and Super Mario World, of course.

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MagicCarpetRide

Mega Man X was the first console game I ever actually owned myself. Still one of my favorite games.
MagicCarpetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Donkey Mother****ing Kong!! Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I wish my mother didn't throw out my super nes plus 100 games! Bitch...
Old 06-8-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
I have 133 SNES games (actual carts I'm not a ***et) and could make a bunch of recommendations.
Beating me by 7, bastard

SNES is my favourite system of all time. The wealth and variety of top quality games is soooooo huge, there's many somethings for everyone!

Been playing through platformers on it recently (Plok, Earthworm Jim and DKC in recent times), but my big project is that I'm trying to plan out a segmented speedrun on Breath of Fire 2. Not that I'm going to have the plans for that finished anytime soon, but I also need to get ahold of an American SNES to play it on eventually, as my universal adapter isn't new enough to run it.

Favourites of mine...

Syndicate
Breath of Fire 1 and 2
Super Metroid
Sim City (lol)
Super Aleste! (I hope you're playing this one Icy, if you're doing shooters. Simple, but imo more fun than Axelay)
Starwing (Starfox for you guys)
Super Mario World 2

Checking my little cupboard of rarer games, I actually have a copy of Lufia 2 so I may have to check that out sometime on Pop's recommedation. Also got FFIII(VI, almost got it signed by Nobou Uematsu, but opted for my Jap version instead due to 10000x better boxart) and Chrono Trigger which I'm dying to actually play on the SNES rather than emulator

I really want to get into SNES speedrunning, but I need to drag myself away from the stuff I keep going to on my 360 and PS3 for a while :<

Last edited by wildfireskunk; 06-8-2012 at 04:53 AM..
wildfireskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evascythe View Post
The best game ever made is still Donkey Kong Country 2. No game will ever beat it. I mean best game ever made for any console... not just the SNES.
don't start this war... it's mario bros 3. no ifs, ands or buts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfireskunk View Post
I actually have a copy of Lufia 2 so I may have to check that out sometime on Pop's recommedation.
wat.... you have lufia 2??? incredible. one, if not my favorite rpg of all time.
here is a folder of stuff i compiled waay back in high school when i started w/ snes rpgs.
it'll have everything you need for lufia 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?627at62x5p23f7d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
Three thousand of them
Quote:

friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Old 06-8-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 View Post
don't start this war... it's mario bros 3. no ifs, ands or buts....
I've gotta go with this being better than DKC2, but I'm not sure about best game ever. I've gotta put Super Metroid up here with Mario 3, and perhaps Mario World as well!

Quote:
wat.... you have lufia 2??? incredible. one, if not my favorite rpg of all time.
here is a folder of stuff i compiled waay back in high school when i started w/ snes rpgs.
it'll have everything you need for lufia 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?627at62x5p23f7d

*downloads*

Always good to have lists and tips! I ****ING LOVE LISTS.

Last edited by wildfireskunk; 06-8-2012 at 05:43 AM..
wildfireskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

glad to help

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
Three thousand of them
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-8-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Herogashix
Descension from Heaven
FFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Currently doing a play-through of Seiken Densetsu 3.
My 3 favorite SNES games would have to be;
1. Seiken Densetsu 3
2. SMRPG:Legend of the Seven Stars
3. Shin Megami Tensei

edit; happy 700th post. ~_~
Old 06-8-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I recently got 100% on Super Metroid, my best as a kid was only in the 90%'s

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I wish I still had my older consoles (SNES / N64) but lolparents.

Oh well I have a rather extensive collection of GC games. Don't hate.

SNES is and always will be though my favorite console. SMW is number one in my heart.
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

games you should at least play once to know what quality gaming actually consists of:

~Classics~

-Donkey Kong Country 2 (all the games in the series are fantastic, but this is easily the best one. Rareware defined quality gaming in the mid-late 90's)

-Chrono Trigger (overhyped, overplayed, totally one of the best games ever anyway)

-Earthbound (if you really want to get into quirky pop culture and rpgs, this is easily one of the best for its genre)

-Super ****ing Metroid

-Super Mario RPG (square before they got mad at nintendo for making cartridges on n64)

-Kirby Super Star (best kirby game to date, non debatable.)

-Starfox (choppy and laggy at parts, but for the snes this is very impressive)

-Super Mario World 1+2 (cuz, well, hard to ignore the classics)

-Megaman X, X2, X3

Personal picks:

-Breath of fire

-Kirby's Avalanche/Kirby's Ghost Trap/Super Puyo Puyo/Super Puyo Puyo tsuu

-Pannel de Pon/Tetris Attack

-Secret of Mana

-Brandish

-Pocky & Rocky (Touhou v1.0 alpha)

-Goof Troop (Probably best multiplayer game ever, try it)

-Madou Monogatari

-Kirby's Dream Land 3

-Yoshi's Cookie

-Romancing Saga 3

-Super Bomberman 1/2/3/4/5

-Mario Paint (seriously if you're ever bored, this is the best)

-Super Castlevania 4

this is all I can think of off the top of my head right now

Last edited by kommisar; 06-8-2012 at 10:28 AM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

God damn, my SNES broke about a year ago. It's all ****ed up. It keeps resetting itself when I turn games on. Makes me sad.

Especially because I have a lot of epic games for it. E.g. Final Fantasy II+III, all the DKCs, Super mario 7 stars, all the Mega Mans, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire I + II, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Super mario world, Super Metroid, Kirby Superstar...

Old 06-8-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
ahhhh SNES RPGs...
Gold. *=favs
*Tales of Phantasia,
*Lufia 2,
*FF3,
Seikendetsu 3,
*Soublazer,
Secret of Mana,
Terranigma,
*Illusion of Gaia,
Donkey Kong 3

anyone who's played Lufia 2, tell me how many of the iris treasures you've gotten? I've gotten 7 so far
I managed to get them all except one. Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma were an amazing series.

Secret of Mana/Evermore (yes I include it even though a lot of weeaboos don't) were awesome games.

I've got all the us released RPGs for the SNES (in cartridge form) that weren't copies of shit on the pc like Ultima.

My favorite is probably Earthbound, it's easily the most amazing snes game that came out, even beating out shit like FF etc.

Lufia series is amazing even though 2 is buggy as hell, Breath of Fire series is still one of my favorites despite the fact that 5 basically kicked it into a gutter and curb stomped it to death. FF games were actually really interesting because they could make a story without worrying about amazing graphics...sigh. I miss SNES quality stories...
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #19
darklordsarumon9
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to darklordsarumon9 Send a message via Skype™ to darklordsarumon9

Super Mario RPG
Donkey Kong Country 2
Earthbound
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (do not argue, this might be the best beat'um up on ANY system)
Super Mario All-stars
Mega Man X
Supersmash TV
Gradius III
Home Improvement - The Game (Tim Allen fighting dinosaurs with chainsaws. not lying)
R-Type III: The Third Lightning
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Zool
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetaka View Post
whats namine like in person

Last edited by darklordsarumon9; 06-10-2012 at 02:54 AM..
darklordsarumon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #20
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Most underrated SNES game? Secret of Evermore.
Mike Weedmark is offline   Reply With Quote