Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Contested Chart Difficulties
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #201
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: New Difficulty System Name Suggestions

Only issue I see in that list is that it can appear more confusing. We're used to seeing stuff like "Difficult" and "Very Difficult" as individual components, but to someone else, it can be viewed as the splitting of a difficulty into two parts. Splitting that even further would appear more confusing. You'd have a title that's like the subgroup of another subgroup.
"What's Difficult+? Huh? That's not Very Difficult? Doesn't + imply it's very difficult?" a new user may think.

IMO, I think the list gives an overly micromanaging appearance. It would've been more appropriate if difficulties like "Challenging" didn't already have two terms with a magnitudinal description as their differences.

Otherwise, you may as well have Challenging, Very Challenging, Very Very Challenging, and Very Very Very Challenging.

Last edited by bmah; 05-31-2012 at 02:24 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #202
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Divide the 20 difficulties into five groups of four, and tell them apart by appending four different smilies to them.

01- For Beginners Only
02- For Beginners Only
03- For Beginners Only
04- For Beginners Only
05- Easy
06- Easy
07- Easy
08- Easy
09- Standard
10- Standard
11- Standard
12- Standard
13- Challenging
14- Challenging
15- Challenging
16- Challenging
17- For Masters Only
18- For Masters Only
19- For Masters Only
20- For Masters Only

Proud member of Team No
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #203
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

I'm not big on the + signs next to the existing difficulties. bmah pinpoints the same problem I have in that having each word span four different difficulties is just untidy and not very nice.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #204
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Actually, it would be the opposite. If a new user finds discussions that have taken place over the past nine years, then it will look very untidy and confusing. It's really not that hard to see that + means the higher end, lol (hell even look at FFR tournaments. hi19's tournament had D5 split into like four parts? D5A, D5B, D5C, and D5D. He also had a lot of subdivisions in D1 and so forth)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #205
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Only issue I see in that list is that it can appear more confusing. We're used to seeing stuff like "Difficult" and "Very Difficult" as individual components, but to someone else, it can be viewed as the splitting of a difficulty into two parts. Splitting that even further would appear more confusing. You'd have a title that's like the subgroup of another subgroup.
"What's Difficult+? Huh? That's not Very Difficult? Doesn't + imply it's very difficult?" a new user may think.

IMO, I think the list gives an overly micromanaging appearance. It would've been more appropriate if difficulties like "Challenging" didn't already have two terms with a magnitudinal description as their differences.

Otherwise, you may as well have Challenging, Very Challenging, Very Very Challenging, and Very Very Very Challenging.
I can only partly agree with this. It's true that, when you look at it, the "very"s and the "+"s can get confusing for newcomers. However, I also believe that, once you get to see the whole list to understand the logic behind it, it's hard to get confused. Maybe, when the new difficulties are applied, a quick reminder in the engine (like a help panel when you first log in that would also be available afterwards somewhere) would be the solution to this problem you mentioned. We could also go directly in the newbie forums to make a poll or something to see how the newcomers react to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #206
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

I like this idea a lot. Get a post in the newbie forums so we can get a larger sample of the community involved, instead of just the opinions of those that have strong opinions regarding file difficulty.

However, if a news post isn't going to get people's attention, I don't see a sticky/announcement doing much either. Still, can't hurt to try it.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #207
bmah
shots FIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
It's really not that hard to see that + means the higher end, lol
And as I said, would be fine IF it wasn't for the fact that there were already magnitudinal descriptions for these old difficulties.

If there was such a system like:

Difficult
Difficult+
Challenging
Challenging+
etc.

I would be perfectly fine with this. But you already have "Very" describing high and low ends of these magnitudes, so further dissecting it with "+" would be even less straightforward. Right now, you're proposing for:

{Name}
- {Subname}
- - {Subsubname}

I propose to either think of a few new names to replace descriptions with "very", or go back to many other people's suggestions with unique descriptions for each difficulty.

Last edited by bmah; 05-31-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #208
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself on how for the past nine years these difficulties have been used. Back in 2005 when I first was playing FFR I wasn't confused by "Challenging" and "Very Difficult". Using + is *nothing* like saying very very difficult, because if I was a newbie back in 2005, I was 11 years old and basically knew very little about the game at all, and knew that very difficult was a lower rating than challenging, there isn't going to be that confusion compared to coming up with names that will make older discussions way more confusing.

I would think "very difficult" would be harder than "challenging" back in that time, but I knew the ratings and it made sense with the discussions at the time. "Oh hey, this is only challenging. But this is very difficult? Wait, what is Very challenging supposed to be? What does it compare to?"

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 05-31-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #209
bmah
shots FIRED

But back then, you didn't have a second descriptor subdividing it even further. You had "challenging" and "very challenging". You didn't have "challenging", "challenging+", "very challenging", "very challenging+". That's way too many subdivisions. A new user may not see that as very intuitive. One subdivision's enough.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #210
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Honestly I don't even see the "Very" as a subdivision anymore. A VC isn't an extra hard C file, it's a separate difficulty entirely.

We don't even have to use the +s - actually, we could just have (for instance) both 15 and 16 be called For Masters Only, like what we always did with the 1-99 system. It might be a little confusing at first but I think people would quickly realize that 15 means "a low FMO" and 16 means "a high FMO".

Bonus: Oni doesn't become yet again even harder to achieve...
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #211
Zakvvv666
I catch fruit
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
We don't even have to use the +s - actually, we could just have (for instance) both 15 and 16 be called For Masters Only, like what we always did with the 1-99 system. It might be a little confusing at first but I think people would quickly realize that 15 means "a low FMO" and 16 means "a high FMO".
This idea actually seems REALLY good, this way we not only have the new system, but it won't mess with people keeping track of VC AAA's, FMO AAA's etc. and would likely make everyone much happier including myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I'll bid a single erotic yet safe-for-work photo of me posing while wearing my Piplup hat while sucking on a blueberry lollipop with my mouth partially open so you can see the lollipop color to verify it's blueberryness.

Disclaimer: This photo is not guaranteed to cause pleasure.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #212
stavie33
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

If I were a noob and saw the +, like in most other games that have a + added to anything, it means higher end. Take shooters for example. You have an upgrade, lets say fast reload, and lets say you have another upgrade called instant reload. Fast reload allows you to do, lets say an active reload like in GoW and it gives you more powerful bullets and reloads quicker, and lets say instant reload immediately reloads your gun so you can non-stop fire. These are different perks, one is not a 'faster' version of the other. Lets say like in most games these perks are upgradable. You'll generally see on the menu then 'fast reload+' and 'instant reload+'. This just means you have a higher level of upgrade, and no one would get confused between whether fast reload+ is the same as instant.

Maybe this is a bad analogy, but if we properly define difficulties and have it listed/stickied where any noob can find it, they will realize that those are distinct difficulties, and + just means the higher end of those difficulties.

I don't feel like scrapping everything we have because as Dossar said, we've been using them for 9 years and even if we change their names people will still be using them. They are ingrained into the site by now, and it would take longer to learn a whole new mess of difficulty names that are unnecessary and in a way even more misleading/confusing than what we already use. Yes when I started I was confused as to whether challenging is harder than difficult, where the hell tricky even stood, and whether Master was above Guru. This can all be solved by just making sure there is a place that's easy to find, and in the open that defines the difficulties.

This confusion will occur no matter what we choose, why is training higher than easiest? Where would training stand? Challenging is still confusing compared with difficult, none of this gets fixed, all it does is require the 9+ year community to completely relearn everything, make all previous discussions unreadable, and then have noobs learn an even more complex system with 20 different difficulty names. Honestly I think it would be quite easy once we explain whether challenging > difficult in general for any competent person to realize 'challenging+ is obviously higher than challenging, and very challenging is higher than challenging and as a different rating is probably higher than challenging+'. The plus connects the two difficulties, and thus I'd find it hard to believe someone would think the order goes C, VC, C+, VC+ instead of C, C+, VC, VC+.'

An easy solution would be just have actual difficulty numbers out of 20 next to the file, like in beatmania and new DDR, they don't require difficulty names. When I talk about DDR, it's always been 'this is a 10, this is an 8', and for beatmania 'this is an 8, this a 12'. That's simple, used in other rhythm games, and cannot be misleading.

PHEW long post
You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
Turning me round (Oh Oh)
Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)

Last edited by stavie33; 05-31-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #213
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Honestly I don't even see the "Very" as a subdivision anymore. A VC isn't an extra hard C file, it's a separate difficulty entirely.

Bonus: Oni doesn't become yet again even harder to achieve...
When you put it this way, I must agree.

Still, I thought it would be cool to change those "For __ Only" names and to rename the 1-14 names to the ones Silvuh thought of on his post. It just sounds better and makes more sense AT LEAST for me anyway lol.

EDIT: Holy shit stavie LMAO (Big ass wall of text xD)

Last edited by i love you; 05-31-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #214
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

i'm still a fan of nois's suggestions. plz no +'s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #215
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'd prefer if there wasn't any overlap in the difficulty titles (i.e. FMO being reserved for both 15 and 16). Would look cleaner choosing a different name for each level, despite the fact that the community has grown accustomed to referring to the vast majority of more difficult songs as either FMO or FGO.

Plus I really want Brutal as the rating for 18 or 19 :twisted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #216
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Maybe this, then?

01- Easiest
02- For Beginners
03- Very Easy
04- Easy
05- Standard
06- Tricky
07- Difficult (D)
08- Difficult (D)
09- Very Difficult (VD)
10- Very Difficult (VD)
11- Challenging (C)
12- Challenging (C)
13- Very Challenging (VC)
14- Very Challenging (VC)
15- For Masters Only (FMO)
16- For Masters Only (FMO)
17- For Gurus Only (FGO)
18- For Gurus Only (FGO)
19- Brutal
20- Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #217
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavie33 View Post
PHEW long post
Not your longest post ;)

Just a small question. What if we just refer the difficulties as "15" or something, and then give a set range for "Masters"? So for example, the current "FMOs" (would prefer calling them "Master" instead) can have difficulty 15-16. That way, people can count how many "Master" songs they have AAA'd, etc. We don't need to come up with 20 names. Just saying difficulty 15 gives a good idea of what to expect in the file.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #218
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNintendo View Post
Maybe this, then?

01- Easiest
02- For Beginners
03- Very Easy
04- Easy
05- Standard
06- Tricky
07- Difficult (D)
08- Difficult (D)
09- Very Difficult (VD)
10- Very Difficult (VD)
11- Challenging (C)
12- Challenging (C)
13- Very Challenging (VC)
14- Very Challenging (VC)
15- For Masters Only (FMO)
16- For Masters Only (FMO)
17- For Gurus Only (FGO)
18- For Gurus Only (FGO)
19- Brutal
20- Insane
Yes! This is perfect! Doesn't stray too far off the original one and keeps the harder songs grouped together to tell if low/high.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #219
BahamutZER0
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Not a fan of reusing the name for multiple difficulties, if you're really that concerned about supporting the legacy (so to speak) difficulty names I don't see what's wrong with using a + or something just so you can tell them apart.

I'd rather if we were going to bother to revamp the difficulty system we didn't choose a naming scheme just on the basis of preserving the old names though, because without that requirement no one would ever choose this setup with or without the +s over a more natural one.
Old 06-1-2012, 08:42 AM   #220
ShadowDueler97
scarhand pls
FFR Veteran

Some of the ideas I have are: Legendary, Impossible, Unbeatable, Insanity, Overload, and........ CHUCK NORRIS xD :D
Closed Thread