Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
MBurns
FFR Player
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Newest Piano solo

Been over a month since I recorded anything. Namely because I got sick and didn't want to do anything.

Sorry if the sound is a little all over the place. We haven't had time to mix this one yet and I got angry while recording cause I kept messing up some shit I can usually do easily.

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bLRd5WcHc
Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Mans0n
Sun and Stars

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n
Default Re: Newest Piano solo

Wow this is amazing [(0__0)]

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Just checking, did you give FFR permission to use your songs?

EDIT: YES. I'll step whenever I can, then! I don't step that much, but I'll do my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 05-20-2011 at 09:11 AM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

yes, I'm already stepping one of his songs now
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
_Stepdude_
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to _Stepdude_ Send a message via Skype™ to _Stepdude_

Love it! Make more :')
_Stepdude_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
xXAll-ProXx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

It was absolutely beautiful. Especially from 0:00 to 1:07,although It kinda went from Classical and romantic to Jazz and "entertaining" after that; usually the audience is interested in hearing a melody play along the entire piece.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the best compositions I've heard in a while. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
MBurns
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXAll-ProXx View Post
It was absolutely beautiful. Especially from 0:00 to 1:07,although It kinda went from Classical and romantic to Jazz and "entertaining" after that; usually the audience is interested in hearing a melody play along the entire piece.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the best compositions I've heard in a while. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, this song was purposely changing however.

The theme of the album is "Lost in the Void". And that song was kind of like a dream, never the same, a bit awkward.

Here are the other tunes, they keep their moods throughout:

Devil's Lair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_lP_-RRQSg

Fog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-dcG...eature=related

Hard Ways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgSdH...eature=related

And yes, I gave my permission to FFR for stepping. BMAH is currently stepping my latest progressive metal song. But whoever wants to take on the piano tune, I'd be more than happy to let you!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Treia
FFR Player

Not bad. Actually, a lot better than I expected. If I had a dollar for every original piano composition I run into, and they turned out to be some arpeggic new-age fluff, I'd be rich. I think a composition should reflect original thought (a song with intent), and not an improv from an intermediate piano player (obviously not a song).

The beginning was my least favourite, as it gave me the improv feel. I didn't care if I remembered it or forgot about it after listening. When the jazz bit came though, I was really liking it. It really showed a spark of genuine inspiration. And like most good compositions, I felt it couldn't stand alone. If it stayed in the jazzy realm, it could of been rather well, but I was eager for a contrast. And what a contrast it was. The bit after it gives me a film-score feel, composition wise. You might not see it, but if it was orchestrated, maybe then. It segues back to the jazzy bit, and keeps a smile on my face.

Those two sections are stronger than the outside bits, because they actually feel like music and not improv rambling. The intro and outro bit don't. However, I reconsidered their value AFTER listening, and find them essential to the experience. Musically, I'm still not fascinated with them. But they serve a concept the whole song emits. You said it's awkward because it's supposed to be like a dream. Yes, and that's exactly why. With the four contrasting elements, they kind of paint different pictures, and I know most people have multiple dreams in one sleep session.

I appreciate people who enjoy to make music. When it's the type where it was made to just be pretty or sad, and improv sounding, I find it hard to really enjoy it as a listener. However, I don't want them to stop writing. People write, play, and share for different reasons. I'm just glad it wasn't one of those times here. You have a unique brand of piano solo music, and something I could become fan of. Keep working hard and being inspired. You can achieve great things.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
MBurns
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treia View Post
Not bad. Actually, a lot better than I expected. If I had a dollar for every original piano composition I run into, and they turned out to be some arpeggic new-age fluff, I'd be rich. I think a composition should reflect original thought (a song with intent), and not an improv from an intermediate piano player (obviously not a song).

The beginning was my least favourite, as it gave me the improv feel. I didn't care if I remembered it or forgot about it after listening. When the jazz bit came though, I was really liking it. It really showed a spark of genuine inspiration. And like most good compositions, I felt it couldn't stand alone. If it stayed in the jazzy realm, it could of been rather well, but I was eager for a contrast. And what a contrast it was. The bit after it gives me a film-score feel, composition wise. You might not see it, but if it was orchestrated, maybe then. It segues back to the jazzy bit, and keeps a smile on my face.

Those two sections are stronger than the outside bits, because they actually feel like music and not improv rambling. The intro and outro bit don't. However, I reconsidered their value AFTER listening, and find them essential to the experience. Musically, I'm still not fascinated with them. But they serve a concept the whole song emits. You said it's awkward because it's supposed to be like a dream. Yes, and that's exactly why. With the four contrasting elements, they kind of paint different pictures, and I know most people have multiple dreams in one sleep session.

I appreciate people who enjoy to make music. When it's the type where it was made to just be pretty or sad, and improv sounding, I find it hard to really enjoy it as a listener. However, I don't want them to stop writing. People write, play, and share for different reasons. I'm just glad it wasn't one of those times here. You have a unique brand of piano solo music, and something I could become fan of. Keep working hard and being inspired. You can achieve great things.
Thanks! I really enjoyed the review, honestly. And I think you might very well appreciate the other 3 tunes.

Just keep in mind:

"Hard Ways" is the album's intro.
"Fog" is the last tune on the album.

I'd be very appreciative if you were to review the other 3 tunes, namely "Hard Ways" and "Devil's Lair".
Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Treia
FFR Player

Hey, MBurns.

No problem. I'm glad you appreciate my feedback.

I got a little a greedy and took a little peek at Devil's Lair and Fog before your reply. I don't want to disrupt the continuity of the thread here with my thoughts. If there is anything significant for me to note, I'll be sure to PM you.

As far as those pieces are of concern, you have a prominent jazzy character to your music. However, I'm getting the impression that you love what jazz sonorities bring to a song, but you're not trying to specifically write "jazz music" or being a "jazz musician". Just music that embodies you, and just so happens to incorporate jazz chords and grooves. I guess Jazz Fusion can be used to label it, but it doesn't really define your intent or motive. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Treia; 05-20-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Treia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
MBurns
FFR Player

Quote:
Hey, MBurns.

No problem. I'm glad you appreciate my feedback.

I got a little a greedy and took a little peek at Devil's Lair and Fog before your reply. I don't want to disrupt the continuity of the thread here with my thoughts. If there is anything significant for me to note, I'll be sure to PM you.

As far as those pieces are of concern, you have a prominent jazzy character to your music. However, I'm getting the impression that you love what jazz sonorities bring to a song, but you're not trying to specifically write "jazz music" or being a "jazz musician". Just music that embodies you, and just so happens to incorporate jazz chords and grooves. I guess Jazz Fusion can be used to label it, but it doesn't really define your intent or motive. Am I wrong?
I'm actually entirely new to jazz. I used to be a completely classic player, but I started to incorporate jazzy grooves to what I play because I liked how it sounds.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

wow this was great. the beginning kinda put me off a bit but it was more than made up for the rest of the song
Old 05-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #13
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox

I really... really... enjoyed Fog. Since jazz really isn't my thing, some of the elements in your music don't fit my taste as much as they could. Either way, overall an insanely amazing job.

I really like your metal song Fire. Get it on Rock Band dude!!

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
tofurox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
Treia
FFR Player

MBurns, I think I'm more surprised that you're recently incorporating jazz than I am curious as to how jazz got into the picture for you in the first place. However it got there, I hope you keep it, in some shape or form. I like how you use it, whether it's in the spotlight or subtle.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
MBurns
FFR Player

Quote:
MBurns, I think I'm more surprised that you're recently incorporating jazz than I am curious as to how jazz got into the picture for you in the first place. However it got there, I hope you keep it, in some shape or form. I like how you use it, whether it's in the spotlight or subtle.
It's funny how it happened too. I got roughly 13 years of classic under my belt and in January 2011 I decided I wanted to record an album. So I start composing and hit some bad notes trying new things. Till I hit some jazz chords. Then as a joke I stay on the jazz chords and start playing like some jazz bar pianist. My friend was still recording at the time and he puts it next to some classic part I was working on and asks me to play a quick transition.

Turned out to sound pretty damn good so I went with it, less a joke, more with emotion and here I am playing fusion lol

Also thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I understand jazz isn't everyone's cup of tea, but don't worry there will be some more classical pieces to come. Namely a rather aggressive one that I'm working on already.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
MBurns
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
hahahaha! I feel your pain.

awesome track by the way. I'm impressed by your ability to play with such emotion and articulation when you're being recorded in the studio. That shit can be quite hard.
My friend owns the studio and we've played music together for so many years, it's like playing at home.

I'm in the piano room, he's in the mixing room. We chat a bit, have a drink and enjoy. I usually compose most of my stuff on the spot. We joke around sometimes and start jamming. It's alot of fun.

This is the piano I'm using by the way:

It's a Steinwey & Sons, Model B. That thing may have cost alot...but it sounds magical.

Last edited by MBurns; 05-22-2011 at 04:08 PM..
MBurns is offline   Reply With Quote