Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness
Default How can we be alone?

I ask myself this question a lot, and a lot of my inspiration comes from the book, The hitchhikers guide to the galexy. In this book, it explains that the universe is an infinate ammount of space, meaning there are infinate ammount of worlds. Out of all the worlds out there, we cant be the only one with life on it. It's just something i cant accept. Unless our scientists are wrong, and the universe isnt as big as we think, its just a concept i cant accept. Which leads to many other things.

There has to be more intellegent life than us out there, and we wont know how to react to them. Eventually they will find us, but who knows how we will react, or if we will even be able to understand them. This is all mind boggleing stuff.

This leads me to my next point. These other planets that have organisms on them, who were they created by. I dont think a god, its all science to me. I dont belive in god, and i dont care if you hate me for saying that. It's just a concept i dont accept. So now we got an infinate ammount of planets with organisms quite possibly more intellegent than we are, that were created in the same manor that we were. Does this mean we will evolve into the same forms they are?

At one point, all life in this universe had to be at the same point, but we know though evolution, that the paths of organisms change a lot, due to natural selection, and stuff like that.

So, lets recap, we have an infinate ammount of space, infinate ammount of worlds, different organisms, at different stages of intellectuallism. So where do we go from here? Do we seek out these other creatures and try to make nice with them? Or do we go around trying to destory the universe, and try to rule it? It is my stong oppion that there will soon be a race to own this galexy, maybe not now, but within 20 years, once technology has advanced much more, i think we may have a much bigger problems than just here on earth.

Any thoughts?

LD
Old 05-23-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

I am incredibly certain should we be encountered by other life forms, our politics would be totally unprepared, spazz out, and order our militry to attack, either destroying our only neighbors, or us getting our asses handed to us.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Yeah, i belive that too omeganitros, our earth's governments are screwed up. If we ever get invaded, we will destroy ourselves before our enimies get the chance.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

I was just thinking about making a similar topic.

Quote:
There has to be more intellegent life than us out there, and we wont know how to react to them. Eventually they will find us, but who knows how we will react, or if we will even be able to understand them. This is all mind boggleing stuff.
I agree 100%. Minus the "e" in boggleing, and I suppose that's all I can say.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Okay, okay, regardless of how much the book kicks ass, it's not word of law, and it shouldn't be taken that way. Nobody's certain if the universe is finite or not, and I think it is because the concept of infinity is incomprehensible. But for the sake of argument, let's say that we DO know the universe is infinite, and good ol' Doug Adams knows what's up...

Excluding divine action from the argument, life itself is simply an EXTREMELY improbable chance that happened to take place here on earth. If the universe is infinite, that means there're infinite chances for life to occur, and it will happen over and over again. Life being created and then evolving to be the same as life somewhere else in the universe is effectively impossible, but, then again, we are dealing with an infinite universe...

If you ascribe to the Big Bang theory, we could talk about us being the first intelligent life, or maybe the life that evolved the fastest, and we therefore wouldn't encounter intelligent life until we had the possibility to do so ourselves. If not, then it's just random chance when we might encounter them.

I think that if we're ever visited by aliens, we'd realize that they're smarter than we and try to be friends with them. However, if they showed ANY sign of hostility, we'd immediately fight them to the death to avoid conquer.

If we ever went out and contacted intelligent life we'd probably do the same, because allies are always better than enemies.

Now, if we put God back into the mix, I don't think a whole lot changes. He created the universe and everything inside it, so that's not a big deal. The only kink in the matter is if and how the Judeo-Christians would try to explain it with the Bible (or any other religion, for that matter, but I'm not educated enough to comment on them).

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Oh, and I had to do this (even though I know nobody cares, because LD's cool): Spelling errors in LD's first post: 34. Grammar errors: 20. Style errors: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

OGM MARS ATTACKS!!1

Seriously though.

Mars Attacks! is a great movie.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:04 PM   #7
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Mars Attacks! rules... omg.. I need to watch that again now.. I love making those alien sounds... XD

I'm currently reading The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'll get back to you when I'm done being lazy about reading it, even though it's fucking sweet.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote