Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #21
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Pi is Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I don't see why everyone is hating on her. She is just proposing another unit of measure that would be more convenient in certain circumstances. You wouldn't measure the length of your fingernail in kilometers, nor would you measure the distance between planets in millimeters. Similarly, this girl is just saying that in some cases, it would be easier to use tau. Would it be more convenient in all situations? Well no, but she has a good point in the fact that in some applications (like the examples she had shown), the use of tau might be more simple and also make more sense. I'm not taking sides or anything, I'm still going to stick with traditional pi, but I think this girl has some validity to her point.
not really
Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
Sweet_Feet
Washed Up
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
I liked the process of her making actual pie, but here's what's wrong with it:

1.The pie dough she's using has either been made with brown sugar, made with added molasses or with cocoa. As she rolls it, you can tell that the dough is very fragile as it tears very easily. It's fine to make pie with such dough, but the process can become difficult and the overall product's consistency can be less flaky (which is usually what you aim for).

2.Using canned fruits and pie fillings is probably the worst things you can do for a quality pie. They're full of sodium nitrate for preservation which is used as an ingredient in fertilizers, pyrotechnics, as an ingredient in smoke bombs, etc. For maximum flavor, your filling must always be made from scratch using homemade jelly and local fruits.

3.For a better golden color, it's best to baste a light amount of melted butter on top of the pie before cooking. Otherwise, it may dry up too much and become stale. That simply won't do. Her toothpick pi and tau designs were neat, but hardly efficient for air circulation.

Cooks think she's retarded too.
Hahaha, easily the best read of the week for me. Well done.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #23
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie7Griffin View Post
The most interesting videos I've seen is Turning a Sphere Inside Out.

Part I
PartII
My brain hurts.

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #24
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

MrRubix I like you but name one thing that would be more horrible under tau than under pi that is performed by high schoolers/college undergrads

Personally I LOVE 1 tau = 1 full turn, it is such a good pedagogical tool for teaching trig and radians
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #25
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I actually looked into this more deeply yesterday by playing around with some integral math, stat functions, and geometric formulations. I've actually backed down a bit from my stance and I do see how tau would make things easier to understand when it comes to the unit circle and other trig-based concepts. From a physics/statistics POV, tau makes things kinda ugly and doesn't give me any added intuition. Cauchy distributions and Gaussian densities don't become any cleaner and, if anything, become harder to intuit.

You might find tau easier to use with cylindrical shells, but more annoying where discs/washers are concerned, which are (arguably) used more often (and are more intuitive). Stuff like the volume of a sphere is made a bit prettier via (2/3)*tau*r^3, and periodicity of trig functions are simpler via sin(x+tau) = sin(tau) or cos(x+tau) = cos(x) but then you've got uglier stuff like tan(x + tau/2) = tan(x). Some features of complex analysis are easier but then again I rarely use that stuff.

All in all, it isn't really a huge deal to make the substitution where higher mathematics are concerned, and it may serve some benefit to beginners who are otherwise confused with a full circle being 2pi.

Otherwise, it basically comes down to 2pi and pi versus tau and tau/2. The former is prettier to me, personally.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-17-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

Why not use both tau and pi?

@Komissar
A lot more bakers lightly brush an egg mixture over the crust instead of butter.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #27
gattsta
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I thought it was pretty funny, Im good with math, i understand it and have no issues with it, lol. I know what she's doing is probably a joke, and it doesn't bug me, i know how to do math, not gonna rage at a joke
Sometimes when I am in a mad rush to shit and the toilet seat is up I do this motion where I am both putting the lid down and quickly sitting on said lid at the same time, but I have this nagging fear that at some point I am going to sit down wrong and somehow slam my nuts underneath the lid.

/phobia
Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #28
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcium Deposit View Post

@Komissar
A lot more bakers lightly brush an egg mixture over the crust instead of butter.
not if you're a poor college student like I was

though an egg/milk wash generally does work better, yes. touché.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #29
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

MrRubix, you now have the Correct stance about tau vs pi, thanks
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #30
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

I wish I still took math classes. I'd love to mess with a professor by mixing tau and 2pi, etc. =P

They'd probably fail me though. -.-

And there are of course reasons and arguments on both sides, but luckily I don't have to care. ^_^
Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #31
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcium Deposit View Post

@Komissar
That sounds good. Use the one that nicely matches the circumstances.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #32
SocoNhydro420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to SocoNhydro420

Its just about how things got started in the beginning, and gets passed down through the generations. Take religeon for example. Sometimes i wonder how can people believe that nonesense... But you have to remember as a kid your mind is vulnerable to ignorance and such things are inevitable. But thats another matter entirely.

As for the substitution, thats just what it is, a substitution. Nothing new. As a physicist we frequently define new variables and notation to stand for a pagefull of equations just to shorten things up. Einstein was the king of this with his summation notation, as well as Dirac with his state vector notation. Ill agree they make hard things more elegant and less cumbersome, but as for things that have been that way for thousands of years it will never, ever, change. (sad face)

MUST... AAA...

FMO AAAs (27): Epidermis, Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star, Rottel-da-station, Disconnected Hardkore, Melonmans OP, Battle Theme #37, Fast Asleep, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Puzzle, Midnight Dragon, Distorted God, Variations 2, Strangeprogram, Arrogant Cobbler, Kanon Medly ~Metal Wings~, Dance and Zeal, Heavenly Spores, Document 13b, The Divine Suicide of K, Yorukumoryuu Yamikaze, Summer Time Perfume, Chaosmaid, Colorful Course, O (piano version), Ambient Angels, Defection, Jeanie and Caroline
Closed Thread