Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-1-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
footbull3196
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to footbull3196
Default Where Exactly Does it Become Stalking? (i.e. What defines a Stalker?)

Ok, we all know that if someone knows your/everyone else's phone numbers/addresses, they are stalkers. But what exactly is the borderline between "trivia expert" and "stalker", because some guy in my chemistry class is upset with everyone because he claims that he's "stalking" their birthdays.

Basically, he friend requests everyone he knows on facebook, and he finds their birthdays and recites them to people. Is that technically considered stalking? I mean, he claims that he was doing it so that people would think he's interesting. He thought that people would think that's a special trait or something cool, but obviously not, since people hate him now.

The point though, is where exactly do people have a problem with other people knowing personal information? Like, grades, sports, clubs, positions, that stuff doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems to be other stuff (i.e. your mom's maiden name, your dad's salary, etc.). What exactly do you have to know before you get coined with the term "stalker"?
footbull3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk
Default Re: Where Exactly Does it Become Stalking? (i.e. What defines a Stalker?)

Uh, stalking is where you spy on people and know every single small detail about them; chasing them down when they move, etc. This just sounds like he needs better things to do.
Old 06-1-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Where Exactly Does it Become Stalking? (i.e. What defines a Stalker?)

He sounds really poplar.
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
nuclearsamurai
huehuehue
FFR Veteran

brb adding everyone i have ever talked to on ffr

am i doin it rite

Seriously, though. What Polk said. Just knowing their birthdays is nowhere near stalking, unless he's telling more.
Old 06-1-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

If you know somebody's parent's salarly, that's a little creepy.
Old 06-1-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
nuclearsamurai
huehuehue
FFR Veteran

Oh hay, I missed the last part.

Knowing those kinds of things would be just a bit creepy.

Just think about how you would feel if someone knew those things.
Old 06-2-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
RevenG-
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to RevenG-

It's stalking if the person knows only certain peoples birthdays. If he knows everybodys hes not.
Old 06-2-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
coraleaterlinda
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

i don't think reciting people's birthdays counts as stalking. stalking is usually focused on one person at a time. and it involves knowing details about that person's life that are very personal, such as parent's salaries, social security numbers, exact daily schedule, etc.
Old 06-2-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

If you talk to someone constantly that's creepy.
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

At the birthday memorizing thing, well that's just weird as hell, and I can see why people would find it creepy. He's socially defunct if he expects any other reaction other than, "uh, you're a creep."

It's not creepy so long as you don't make it seem like you're a stalker. That's really it... not sure how to explain it.

Also, stalking prom pics is ok.

Also, if someone admits to taking a glance at your profile you're allowed to do the same.

Also, if you're a total popular female hottie, you're allowed to stalk pics. Complete loser once looked at my profile pics and mentioned something he saw; I called him weird (told him later I was just kidding but he shouldn't openly admit to creepin people's profiles because other people may be discomforted). Completely hot chick in my art class looked at my profile and mentioned something she saw; I started a convo about it 8) Double standard? Hell to the yes. Deal wit it.

Rule of thumb: Just don't tell anyone you're browsing another person's profile and it's all good. nuclearsamurai says its concisely: "think about how you would feel"

Last edited by lord_carbo; 06-2-2009 at 10:08 PM..
lord_carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

On the issure on where the line is exactly, I would guess that if the person:

1) knew where you lived without you/someone else telling them
2) knew where you worked without you/someone else telling them
3) knew who you had sex with """" / """" """"
and
4) knowing where you'll going before you do

Then he is a stalker. otherwise he needs a new game system to play

ps Hi Carbo

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

If you know things about someone that you found out without being told, and don't want you to know.

Last edited by devonin; 06-3-2009 at 12:24 AM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Isn't this thread rather Critical Thinkingish..? Just saying.

On a relevant note, I believe the line is drawn at research. If you go onto facebook in search of people's information for the sake of finding it out, it's stalking. If you know stuff about people because you heard it in the halls and you have a good memory, that isn't stalking, it's just knowing extra because you have a good memory.

I've been called stalker before (jokingly, of course) because I have a very good memory and I know almost everyone's last names, even those who I'm not friends with. It's perfectly fine in a case like this because a last name is said a lot. Your birthday is usually only told to close friends, however. When you give an introduction to a stranger, you don't say Hi, my name is John Smith and my birthday is January 1, so it's not a common piece of information.

Seeing as this kid in your chemistry class looked up everyone's birthday because he wanted to know and maybe be more popular with the other kids in a kind of "look what I can do" situation. Because he did research to find out specific information about people, I would classify it as a minor stalking case because I'm sure his intent isn't to follow you around and try to date you.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 01:48 AM   #14
XXXsmittyXXX
Anxiety monster
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to XXXsmittyXXX Send a message via Skype™ to XXXsmittyXXX

If your harassing somebody / talking to them constantly / finding out their personal information / talking to their friends about them, you would be considered a stalker.
Old 06-3-2009, 02:00 AM   #15
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

yeah you could be a stalker

or in love
Old 06-3-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

A friend of mine has some weird special "ability" where he can remember anyone's birthday if you tell it to him. Like, I could go through my school's yearbook and he could probably recite 80% of the peoples' birthdays (I say 80% because I figure that's probably the amount of people he knows/has heard their birthdays before). I don't think it's creepy at all. It's actually really interesting. It's so strange how he can remember all of those things, even if they're people he never talks to or never sees or isn't even friends with. I think maybe if those kinds of people knew that he knew their birthdays by memory they may be creeped out at first until they knew that this was just some strange talent of his. I don't find it creepy at all. I think it's interesting. But, if some kid is going around and purposely finding every single person in the school's birth date to memorize and recite to people... well, that's just a little weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 03:30 AM   #17
tangomango
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Well imo it's one thing to memorize something just because you have a good memory and another to actively memorize personal information to recite to your face.

I remember back in middle school, this one kid would ask everyone what their schedule was, memorize it, and recite it back to them.
tangomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

When you look like this
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbull3196 View Post
Basically, he friend requests everyone he knows on facebook, and he finds their birthdays and recites them to people. Is that technically considered stalking? I mean, he claims that he was doing it so that people would think he's interesting. He thought that people would think that's a special trait or something cool, but obviously not, since people hate him now.
Heh. If you become Facebook friends with someone, you're giving them indiscriminate access to ANY personal information you have put there. You don't really have the right to complain about them knowing this information, since after all you've basically given it to them.

I think people are annoyed with the guy not because he knows everyone's birthdays, but rather because he's just really annoying. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who randomly recites people's birthdays either.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
Dorby
fake plastic deez
FFR Veteran

This dosen't seem like a case of stalking ; more or less a cry for attention.
And so it was, with this thread that, in 2014 Robertsona will be placed in history via the Legendary Thread section. He will be respected as a self-proclaimed master of TGB. A feat so uncared for and ignored that he himself committed suicide in early 2013.
Dorby is offline   Reply With Quote