Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #1541
gamewiz0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to gamewiz0
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Looks sorta stupid, but I guess we all have different opinions and such.

I jsut can't wait for Fire Emblem 10.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #1542
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Best Buy is getting a Wii shipment out for sale tomorrow. Rumors say other stores will be getting them as well.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/best-buy/ru...row-254285.php

ps - in case you missed the update in another thread, I ordered Super Paper Mario. It should be here sometime next week. And no, it wasn't from DDD. They stopped carrying good stuff for some reason. Amazon had it for $45. Sweet.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #1543
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

Godfather is out. Scarface is coming out. Manhunt 2 is coming to the wii as well. Mortal Kombat Armageddon is also coming. Resident Evil 4. Sadness looks promising.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #1544
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Along with Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, No More Heroes, possibly Grand Theft Auto, and, of course, Super Smash and Metroid Prime 3.

Again, the style of gameplay fits the style of the game. That game is supposed to be an adventurous treasure island exploring adventure. I know I wouldn't want to see realism when I see that.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #1545
Kodes
FFR Player

I can't wait untill super smash bros brawl is out,
but i wish Nintendo didn't make as many kiddie games as they do. They need more Non-Kiddie games.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #1546
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It's not Nintendo making kiddie games. It's third party developers releasing things onto Nintendo consoles.

I'd say less than a third of Nintendo games are truly "kiddie". "E" for "Everyone" doesn't mean "for 10-year olds only", folks. Just because Mario had a water pack and Link was cel-shaded doesn't mean the game cannot be fun.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #1547
GamerShadow
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GamerShadow

Anybody who says Nintendo makes kiddie games is living under a rock.

Ever heard of METROID? Anybody who tells me that's "kiddie" has an IQ less than the quantity of letters in SONY.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #1548
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It's just as bad to say "look, Nintendo made the Metroid series. They don't make kiddie games". They do, but to say that's all they make is a terrible statement.

Like I said before, they do make some games specifically designed for kids, but the majority of their games are marketed for everybody.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #1549
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Well, I rented Super Paper Mario, and I was very impressed.
Its a little easy, and thats the only problem. other than that, it has a great story and everything.

I nearly finished the game, got to chapter 7-3.
But I had to take it back today
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #1550
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

I really want to get Super Paper Mario but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Tell me again how awesome it is and maybe I'll make time to go buy it one of these days.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #1551
gamewiz0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to gamewiz0

You should get Pokeman Diamond or Pearl instead.

<3 Pokeman
Old 04-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #1552
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Pokémon*. Also, I don't think Afro has a DS. Nor do I.

Afro, I'll let you know my impressions once I get it, but a page or two back I posted a full review of the game from someone who had it before it came out. Consider reading it.

PS - Amazon has it for $45 and free shipping. Don't forget.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:35 AM   #1553
ndthatsme
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ndthatsme

So supposably, according to what I read in GameInformer, Nintendo is restricting companies from adding online functioinality to there Wii games until after 2007. So as of now there is only one title announced, which is Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Any ideas why?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #1554
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Because people like spreading lies.

Elebits has had online capabilities since its release. Metroid Prime and Brawl are confirmed to have online interaction and they are coming out this year.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #1555
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndthatsme View Post
So supposably, according to what I read in GameInformer, Nintendo is restricting companies from adding online functioinality to there Wii games until after 2007. So as of now there is only one title announced, which is Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Any ideas why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Because people like spreading lies.

Elebits has had online capabilities since its release. Metroid Prime and Brawl are confirmed to have online interaction and they are coming out this year.
For one, the announcement was for online multiplayer, not online functionality. And that is true. No direct multiplayer peer connections.

I can't believe you missed what he was saying with your post, Squeek. Metroid Prime and Brawl are both Nintendo games. First and second party titles. Nintendo hasn't provided the tools to create online multiplayers to third party developers yet, or if they have, it's been very recently.

Though I have no idea why it is, I would guess that the reason is so Gamespy can prepare their servers for the massive load that they're going to undertake when multiplayer games are released. Remember that Gamespy is handling the tracking and service for online multiplayer and statistics, and that the Wii greatly oversold Nintendo's expectations. I'd rather have late stable multiplayer than shotty multiplayer with dropped games and poor bookkeeping. Nintendo had trouble with that when they launched WFC for DS.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #1556
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodes View Post
I can't wait untill super smash bros brawl is out,
but i wish Nintendo didn't make as many kiddie games as they do. They need more Non-Kiddie games.
The kiddie games are on every console but you only notice them on the Nintendo. Funny that.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #1557
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Prime is not first-party though. It's made by Retro Studios, which only has a contract with Nintendo to produce Metroid games. It's not Nintendo making the game. Nowhere in his post did he say "# party titles". He just said Nintendo is restricting companies from using online capabilities. Retro is a company and they are not being restricted. There ya go.

And he didn't specify what "online functionality" means. If it means competing with Xbox Live, then it's pretty obvious that's not ready yet. However, Elebits is a third party title and there's nothing preventing them from utilizing online capabilities in-game. Therefore, there's no restriction.

I think maybe what happened is what you laid out though. They might have said "chill out for a bit until we work things out with GameSpy."

In other news, I'm just about to call Nintendo regarding my borked console.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #1558
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Good luck dude.

Don't know if you need luck but I thought I should of wished it anyway.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #1559
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Called.

He originally said I'd have to call Konami about Elebits since it wasn't their game, but a few minutes into the phone call and a description of other problems basically got that out of the way. I described the symptoms with Sports freezing once or twice and WarioWare taking ages to load sometimes.

I didn't want to bring up the repair procedure but that's where I wanted the conversation to end up. Thankfully, it did. While he was writing a few things, I mentioned the controller problems I've been having (one controller has a loose "B" button and the other shakes really violently when rumbling sometimes) and he said normally we have to handle that separately, but he'd go ahead and combine it all.

Their customer service really is awesome. I doubt they follow most customer service "follow the book and never stray from it!!!!111" procedures, since it seemed he was on the ball with things from the get-go and never asked the pointless questions most cable companies tend to ask.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #1560
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Prime is not first-party though. It's made by Retro Studios, which only has a contract with Nintendo to produce Metroid games. It's not Nintendo making the game.
Even if it's not directly made by Nintendo, if the company has exclusive ties to the hardware manufacturer, then it counts as a Nintendo game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia's Retro Studios entry
Retro Studios is an American video game developer based in Austin, Texas, USA. It was founded in 1998 by Jeff Spangenberg as a second-party developer to Japan-based video game company Nintendo. It is currently wholly owned by Nintendo (and is thus a first-party developer, rather than a second-party one as it once was), with over 50 employees.
So, Nintendo would be restricting itself from using online multiplayer? Kinda odd, don't you think?

There's no need to mince terminology on his statements, Squeek. I've heard the announcements regarding Nintendo's policy about 3rd party online multiplayer, and I could gather from his post that that was what he was talking about.

Aside from that, I've said before that Nintendo's customer support is fantastic. They talk to you like a person instead of with an automated, "Sure, I can help you with that" type of tone. Whenever I have to call Nintendo up, the rep and I frequently get a laugh or two and exchange a few casual words. It's like having a conversation with a friend. Glad you got to experience it first-hand.

On a different note, did anybody try contacting Nintendo for new Wii wrist straps? I've tried both the online form and the phone number, and I have yet to get my straps, much less even get a shipping confirmation.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote