Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter
Default Literature

Literature's hidden meanings: Are they subject to the author, or the reader?

I don't know how many times I've had this discussion with my friends. I have a serious beef with studying literature (like in my senior english class) because I feel the deeper meanings to works are purposefully put there by the author and that anything else that you say you find in the words is wrong, because it's not what the author intended. It's pretty hard to ask the authors what their works really mean (due to timely death), so I'd rather not go and (I feel) insult the author by misinterpreting his or her work, but, then again, I only appreciate art for its aesthetic value, not for its meanings and whatnot. Carl Sagan actually told a froup of people who got together and analyzed his works that they were quite wrong and that he didn't mean half of the stuff they gleaned.

Some of my friends argue that the meanings and craftily hidden points are up to the reader to discover, and that the work means what the reader wants it to mean.

Note: This can apply to any form of art, too.

I think my opinion has been stated, so what do y'all think?

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

My opinion with everything is that, if you find a deeper meaning, all the best to you. Maybe it's technically wrong becuase the author didnt' mean for it to happen, but that doesn't mean it can't mean that to you.

You have no idea how many people tell me "Oh! I see! That poem you wrote means..." and I have to say, "No, I didn't mean for it to, but if it does to you, I'm glad you found some purpose in it."
Old 05-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
mizelle59
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to mizelle59

Ooo, that can go both ways I suppose. I know whenever I write something, I try leaving some subtle hints towards other subplots. Many authors obviously do this to suggest why a character has ended up in this situation, why they act the way they do, etc.

But that doesn't mean interpertation can only be forced to one conclusion. Some authors may sometimes accidently insert a hint that leads to a conclusion they didn't want. It's a very simple mistake too, as everyone thinks differently about certain situations. This doesn't necessarily mean the reader is wrong in his conclusions; just that the author was a bit careless.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Anonymous
FFR Player

Forget "hidden meanings" and what not. Interpretation. That is all it is about. I believe that authors are trying to tell a story, and, most of the time, the story is conveyed in an excellent manner, so that it is clear to all readers...but there are a million different ways to interpret (forgive me, for this word will be used many times in this post) the story as a whole. I favor authors that use vast amounts of symbolism, so I guess I am a bit bias. =) I believe quite strongly that anything you read or look at (since Guido mentioned art as well as literature) is up for an interpretation of whatever it means to you, the reader (or observer.) As far as offending the author or artist; I believe that most of them want their work interpreted in any fashion possible. (Granted there are a few who are out to just make a point.) As far as hidden meanings and thing of that sort, films do that as well....directors use camera angles and different color patterns to try and express the emotion of the scene. For some directors, (i.e. Tarantino) it is cussing and cigarettes. For Scorcese (spelling) it is color, Luhrmann (apologies for the spelling, again, if incorrect) it is the speed of the film. One great example is Michael Gandry's work in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spoteless Mind." (Not like a Kaufman script really needs much added to it, but nevertheless, symbolism was used.) From the different colors of Winslet's hair, to the conversation under the sheets between she and Carrey, to the house at the end, different things are used to express the point and the emotion...and it can mean anything to anyone. That is the beauty of symbolism. It is kind of like love, in that sense, being that it is what you make it.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
ayanepuck
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ayanepuck

Ffor some reason, my last post showed me as a guest....my computer is retarded and can never remember whether or not I have logged in. Joy! =)
ayanepuck is offline   Reply With Quote