Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

Default somthing intresting about 4kids

What I read from wikipedia was this: Kahn stated that the reason why One Piece was edited was to appeal to the masses. I'm sure that everyone knows that, but the masses are really the children. What is interesting, though, is that he also claims that later on, he will distribute uncut anime, but the date is unknown. This made me think: if 4Kids! does release uncut anime again, then I will respect them more, because I don't respect them at all.

But thats old news.

They don't edit for the masses, Naruto was edited for the masses, Bobobo was edited for the masses, even Zatch Bell (which had a pretty messed up dub, but not on the level of One Piece) was edited for the masses.

editing for the masses means making it suitable for tv, and 4kids goes WELL beyond what is necessary to get a show on tv.I don't see why the FCC would have a problem with labels on signs, books, and jars.....especially when they have very basic words on them.

Editing out anything shaped like a cross.....ya know I really don't think thats necessary at all because there HAVE been shows that have had cross shaped items in them before. Come on, Digimon was full of religious references! (and even that dub was heavily edited)

Editing out breast lines.....yeah not necessary to get it on tv

Pretty much all you need to do in order to get a show ready for "the masses" is edit out any innapropriate language (for the timeslot) edit out an excess blood, and remove any scene of extreme sexuality or violence.

No, 4kids doesn't edit One Piece for the masses, they edit it to thei rown personal standards of what is necessary.4kids edited Pokemon for the masses, and that dub was just fine, but One Piece......no

Al Kahn has also stated that he feels anime not only lends itself ot a child market (someone tell him about Adult Swim which is number one in its timeslot),

that manga own't sell because kids don't read (yeah, explain Naruto and Fruits Basket being on the top 100 book list of America)

that anime MUST be westernized in order for it to scueed in America (oh yeah, Naruto is doomed to failure in America because all its Japanese references were removed.....not, and has anyone showed him the rest of the Toonami lineup? or Adult Swim? or even g4's anime unleashed for that matter (which edits NOTHING))

And in regards to the uncut dvds, they're supposed to make uncut versions of ALL their anime series. HOWEVER they've only released uncut Shaman King and Yugioh, both of which they stopped making after a while for no reason.Maybe one day when 4kids is desperate for cash they'll start churning out the unedited dvds, but they feel it isn't necessary.

They know how we feel about them and their little company, but they call us "elitist anime fans" even though most of us aren't. We just want our show to not get ****ed up.(or worse)

there is hope however...

apparently, an insider at 4kids revealed that they're looking at the uncut Naruto dvds Viz is releasing.they're wondering if those will suceed or not, and maybe they'll start doing similiar things with their anime (primarily focused on One Piece.)

One Piece was such a huge failure for them (their own **** fault) that they have no idea what to do with themselves.they continue to lose money, and while One Piece could've been HUGE they chose to mess it all up.

Since they have the license for quite some time, they have 3 options:

1- fix it, once Alabasta finishes airing start making a better dub for Jaya and beyond (fix as in stop the needles edits, episode cuts, and story changes, oh and keep the old(original) music) and hope it succeeds on Toonami

2- forget about it, don't do anythign One Piece related and just wait until the license expires

3- sell One Piece to someone willing to take a risk on it and hope that whoever gets it can do some justice to it

and thus ends my rant.
YouAreAwsome is offline   Reply With Quote