Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

Default How powerful is the human mind?

What can the human mind do? Many people who do amazing things say they all do it with their mind. But to what extent is that true? Can you save yourself just if you believe you can? Can you save yourself from pain if you just think it's not there. This subject could stretch further and further into tapping into minds etc. How far do you think the human mind can do? Anything that we've not discovered yet?

You're Aja Leith of the Holograms! You're very exotic, intelligent and sophisticated.
jugglinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
sammo123
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sammo123
Default Re: How powerful is the human mind?

interesting i think u can not feel pain if u bieleve there is no pain, but im also a little wierd so w/e
sammo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

sammo: good spelling and grammar is required here. Don't post like that again.

The mind is incredibly powerful, though the extent of that power is exemplified more in unconscious actions.

I do believe that one's own will (or lack thereof) can be a significant factor in things the body does, but the very lengths to which it goes to protect itself are quite profound.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

The only way you can feel no pain is if you have the genetic defect that messes up a crucial receptor for pain. And it's a pretty terrible thing to have since you tend to injure yourself quite frequently.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
roundbox
Gᴇᴛ ᴀ ɢʀɪᴘ ᴜ ɴᴇʀᴅ
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglinguy View Post
How far do you think the human mind can do? Anything that we've not discovered yet?
1/0

I think the human mind can go pretty far, but it'd take several people to figure out some of the more "complex" issues of the modern day. But the thing is, scientific advances have been more common than they were several years ago, and more technology is being invented daily.

It's also been said that it's nearly impossible to fill the entire brain with information, making it seemingly superior to that of which is a computer hard-drive, or any other device that stores information.

So in a nutshell, I'd say the human mind is pretty strong. Feel free to dissect my post and make fun of me for any mistakes I have made.
roundbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Bahamut-X
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
The only way you can feel no pain is if you have the genetic defect that messes up a crucial receptor for pain. And it's a pretty terrible thing to have since you tend to injure yourself quite frequently.
Just gotta comment on this, was anyone else reminded of that episode of House where they had a girl with this defect? Like she stuck her hand in 300 degree water or something and forgot it was there and got third degree burns without feeling a thing.

On topic, I've heard various times we only use about 10% of our brain or something for actual thinking although I don't know if this true since there have been people that have told me it's false.
Bahamut-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut-X View Post
Just gotta comment on this, was anyone else reminded of that episode of House where they had a girl with this defect? Like she stuck her hand in 300 degree water or something and forgot it was there and got third degree burns without feeling a thing.

On topic, I've heard various times we only use about 10% of our brain or something for actual thinking although I don't know if this true since there have been people that have told me it's false.
We use all of our brain. The 10% thing is a rumor.

And uh, I guess the human mind is powerful in some ways and weak in others. Through consciousness we can find great power in our will over the world, but carrying out even simple calculations in comparison to a computer and we're done like dinner. Give a computer something as simple as a brute force search ability and it'll pound even the best chess player into the ground.

Let's hope AI doesn't advance to the point where it gains conscious ability ;o

Also...

Quote:
It's also been said that it's nearly impossible to fill the entire brain with information, making it seemingly superior to that of which is a computer hard-drive, or any other device that stores information.
I could only wish I had a computer like memory. My gosh would my courses be easy...

The human brain fails because it is also constantly forgetting information (or at least neural paths weaken to the point where you cannot retrieve the information anymore). You may be able to keep stuffing things into it, but unlike a computer that will never magically lose files, your brain certainly will. The brain cannot hold an infinite amount of information. If it could evolution wouldn't have crafted it such that unused neural pathways weaken to allow stronger paths for information you are currently in need of recalling.

Last edited by Reach; 03-26-2007 at 09:43 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
AriesMalvis
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

well about the pain thing, i can actually make it so i don't feel pain at times, things that would normally make me cry feel like nothing
but back to the mind...i think it is powerful, and about the whole believing something and it'll happen...well i don't believe that's true, but i think it's a confidence thing
have you seen the forgotten? that was a good movie, but yea it's just a movie...i kno, but the topic made me think of it

edit//
i used to wish i couldn't feel any pain, until i actually thought about how bad that can be...cuz at times, pain can save your life. the worst burn ive had without pain was a 2nd degree...but then again ive never had a worse one :/
Old 03-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
Izzi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Izzi

I saw a picture of a bhuddist guy sitting in a fire with his face burning off. Sitting there. Completley calm. I thought that was the most insane thing ive ever seen. Im guessing its completley possible to focus your brain into any way you want. Not to the point of doing anything against physics but anything that goes on in the body. Like giving yourself a seizure.
Izzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Just to explain the 10% thing,

It is approximately true for any given moment. The brain is highly specialized, thus you do not use 100% of it at a given moment, though you use it all during your life.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
FRANKKK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

The mind can do amazing things thats for sure. I remember hearing about a car dropping on a man while he was working on it. The lady he was doing the job for was there when it happened. She lifted the front end of the car right off the ground. You may think this is a physical deal, which it is kinda. However, the lady described that she was "in the zone" and she had her mind set that she was not going to let that man die. And amazingly enough, the man was fine.
I dont know how we can describe things like this...because later on when the woman tried to pick up the same car, she had no chance. It didnt budge.
I guess things like this have to do with a person's adrenalin rush, and their will power to do something. Now all im wondering is how can we be in this state of mind 24/7? This would make us some what super heros when you think about it.

Full combo's: 230
AAA's: 75
Latest AAA: Lesson.
Best AAA: Firestorm.
GameWhore Clan
"Team Mom's Been Whoring" hahaha.
FRANKKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
RandomPscho
FFR Player

I heard the exact same thing except the "little lady" was on PCP. I think it is just a myth, though not impossible.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
FRANKKK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

No, this actually happened right outside my town. It was on the news and everything. I saw the lady get interviewed and the man's family was there and they were all thanking her. Then she tried to lift it on the news and it didnt budge. So this makes me wonder, is there some research that could be done to maybe make it possible to put us in that state of mind when we choose? I mean imagen that, being able to do things such as this whenever you wish.

GameWhore Clan
Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Izzi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Izzi

I believe its called steroids but i may be wrong =P
Izzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
FRANKKK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Yeah well, thats a drug to get you like that. This lady didnt have any drugs or anything (that we know of, haha). But seriously, i just think its amazing what some people can do when they put their mind to it. I just wish putting ourselfs in this state of mind was something easy to do.

GameWhore Clan
Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #16
perkeyone
FFR Player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosomatic
this article talks about the negative effects of a persons mind on his/her body
perkeyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
Lamoc
FFR Player

Uri Geller
Lamoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #18
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Too bad Geller is a fraud ;(
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
Lamoc
FFR Player

Ya never know ^^
Lamoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #20
inflames07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to inflames07

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbox View Post
1/0

I think the human mind can go pretty far, but it'd take several people to figure out some of the more "complex" issues of the modern day. But the thing is, scientific advances have been more common than they were several years ago, and more technology is being invented daily.

So in a nutshell, I'd say the human mind is pretty strong. Feel free to dissect my post and make fun of me for any mistakes I have made.
My psychology text book says something about the brain only being able to hold the amount of information equivalent to 23 million text book pages. THat's still a lot, but I wonder how they were able to determine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird View Post
Sex kills time and it's free.

Instead of taking her out to a movie and buying her popcorn, bend her over the arm of a couch. It's very economical. Just make sure you are using the proper protection, because then it can become VERY, VERY GOD DAMN UNECONOMICAL if she pops a baby 9 months down the road.
inflames07 is offline   Reply With Quote