Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Void (CBR Revision)

http://soundcloud.com/cbr/void-cbr-revision

"This tune was going to be a on a physical EP but those plans never materialized -- this is a collaboration with my real life friend, Troglobyte, who is a very talented young man. Essentially he was the one who created the notation, and I was responsible for sound design, mixing and mastering. Some months later, I fixed many errors in the mixing and gave the song a grand overhaul, the version that it is now. Hopefully I'll work with him again in the future when I get my home studio set up."

Probably my best mixing and sound design track to date. Enjoy, fellas :>

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 10-27-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

Default Re: Void (CBR Revision)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Probably my best mixing and sound design track to date. Enjoy, fellas :>
Definitely. Although it sort of lacks the playful sound I'm used to hearing from you and the arpeggios are a bit much when they're all stacked on each other, it definitely sounds pretty damn good. The bass really stands out as something you normally don't make.
StoneMcKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Haha yeah, the lack of playfulness is due to the notation not being made by me so it doesn't have my "sound". The only thing I notated were the ending arps.
(64th arps @ 138 bpm, baby!)

Also yeah essentially you don't hear a lot of low-end in many of my tracks for 3 reasons.

a) I'm backlogged. I have so much material that I'm working on, that is complete and needs revamps, or is just not good enough to upload.
Most of my stuff that is uploaded is from 2011, or early 2012. (in some rare instances 2010)

b) I didn't have good enough headphones to focus on lows, and still aren't happy with them. Hopefully I'll have my studio monitors in December --
expect a LOT more tracks once they arrive. I'll pretty much go back and check the mix and master on every track of mine. (~350 WIPs / Songs )

c) I didn't even know how to make bass sound decent (side-chaining / mixing) until a bit ago, so it either sounded off, or I didn't use it at all. :P

Thanks for checking the tune out -- Think of it of a sampler of great things to come in the next few months.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 10-27-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
SoggyWaffulz
FFR Player

I like this tune. I hate the clap sample, but that's just personal preference.

Also those third-note snares, I think those would sound better if you ghosted the first two up by ramping the velocity of the three.

Other than that, good stuff homie. <3

Edit: After getting most of the way through the track, the appregiated lead synth made me turn it off. Knock that down an octave or seven semitones. I think at the current pitch it's too much to be a constant throughout the track.

Edit 2: Instead of shifting the pitch, you could try turning the volume down about half-way from where it is, and layering it with a 2 or 4 step delay. That way it's quiet, yet sounds very intricate because of all of the notes in the scale getting doubled but in-front and behind other notes of the scale.
Also it'd be best to remove every other note in the scale if you choose to delay, that way you avoid any muddy sound of too many notes running together.

Last edited by SoggyWaffulz; 10-27-2012 at 11:59 AM..
SoggyWaffulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Thanks for your advice but I think you fail to see what I meant to use that arp for:
Rather than being a supporting element to the mix, it is the main point-of-focus for the listener but not to the point where it overshadows everything else in the mix.
I think I nailed this balance rather well but sorry if you didn't enjoy it -- I'll take a look at it in a few months again,
and will definitely try to re-do the drums which are my least favorite part. (and the cop-out ending, of sorts)

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 10-27-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
SoggyWaffulz
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Thanks for your advice but I think you fail to see what I meant to use that arp for.
Rather than being a supporting element to the mix, it is the main point-of-focus for the listener, if anything it could be 1 to 2db louder. Sorry you didn't like it.
Oh I understand it's the main instrument to the song, that's clear as soon as it comes in.
Problem is, I believe it's a bit on the "harsh" side. It's not that I don't like it, it's just a bit "too much." I just figured you'd want to know simply because if anyone thought any part of my track could be better a certain way, I'd want them to let me know. Haha. Even if I loved what I did with it. More opinions is always better than fewer for me.
SoggyWaffulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

I think it's the the decay that's on it which causes it sound distorted ever so often. (6 sec intervals it seems) due to the sound continually shaping.
Honestly don't even remember which VST I used for that sound x.x
I'll fix it sooner than later :>

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 10-27-2012 at 12:10 PM..