Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark
Default Trading design work for a 36" Vinyl Plotter?

One of my clients that I'm doing graphic design work for, is offering me a never-been-used 36 inch wide Vinyl cutter/plotter, in exchange for ongoing design work on his website.

For those who don't know what a vinyl plotter is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljmca2btHXM

This person is trusted, I've been working with him doing 3d models for a bit now.
Question is, should I take the money for the work, which would total up to about, I'd say $1500-$2000 or more, or should I do the work for "free" in exchange for this cutter. The particular one he has is less than 6 months old, was never used, only taken out of the box and assembled, and has been sitting there ever since. It retails at $2895, and has a 3 year warranty on it. I could really use the money, but the possibilities are pretty endless with a plotter like that...decals, stickers, car graphics, heat transfers for shirts...pretty much anything. Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited by darkshark; 01-27-2009 at 06:18 AM..
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54
Default Re: Trading design work for a 36" Vinyl Plotter?

I personally would take the plotter.

It has a guaranteed value of near $3,000. So you know exactly what you are getting out of the deal. Also, the plotter can help you expand your horizons and work out additional graphics deals and bring in additional money.

I think that taking the plotter would be the best idea and it would add to what you can do in terms of making art and graphics. Definitely go with the plotter. =)

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Yeah I'm thinking I'll go with the plotter, but I'm hurting for money, and this will be pretty much a month straight of design work with no pay. I don't have a real job anymore, so it's hard to support all of my bills, just hoping my FAFSA and side jobs are going to be enough to cover everything.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

I'm going to say take the money. The vinyl plotter is cool, I'll give you that, but if you take the money you would be guaranteed to satisfy your immediate needs instead of possibly meeting future ones.

Nerd-gasm aside over the things you mentioned you could do with said plotter, I'm still saying you should take care of yourself first.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Unless you start making money with the plotter (lol), I echo igotrhythm's sentiments. Your immediate needs come first before the plotter.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Money. Plotter looks cool, but I imagine the upkeep on such an item is quite expensive in and of itself.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
sumzup
(+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sumzup Send a message via MSN to sumzup

Yeah, there would probably be a lot of extraneous expenses associated with the plotter, and if you're just getting it as a fun toy, then it's not worth it. It looks like you need money right now, so think about a plotter later when you don't have to worry about the most basic things in life. If there's a way you can realistically monetize the plotter (with a reasonable income), then get the plotter, but otherwise, take the money.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
OrganisM
FFR Player

Sell the plotter.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #9
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Alright we got it worked out to where I get the best of both worlds, he pays for half of the work, other half goes towards the machine. I feel very fortunate to get an opportunity to own one of these things, especially one of this quality. It's pretty much a business in itself owning one.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
wwwJ4mmYcouk
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Take the plotter, and either use it to make money (start your own little business with it), or sell it to make about $2500. More money than you would get for the design work. Why not speak to you parents about it and see if they can subsidize you with money this month because you want to try this business venture.

Μήπως πραγματικά πνιγεί;
wwwJ4mmYcouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwJ4mmYcouk View Post
Take the plotter, and either use it to make money (start your own little business with it), or sell it to make about $2500. More money than you would get for the design work. Why not speak to you parents about it and see if they can subsidize you with money this month because you want to try this business venture.
Damn you took the words right out of my mouth. As Jewpin brought up, maintenance on it may seem costly but to replace a $300 cutting head every 5000 cuts or whatever its rated at won't seem like a lot when you've made several thousands of dollars via custom work for people. My brother's got what I think is a 28" plotter that he uses for various self-produce selling farmers with their own brands around here and he makes labels for them selling around $700 per job, price varies depending on size. So yeah, for him, one instance of making a couple hundred labels for farmers paid for the most expensive part that ever needs to be replaced on the plotter. So given that, take the plotter by all means possible. You'll have a much better turnout with it over just taking straight money. And if anything, look at a business loan for apply for necessary equipment and/or supplies if you really do wish to do something with it, given you're parents don't fund such an adventure. But with a 36" plotter, you could go to every business in town and front your work and I'll be damned if you don't get at least 50% of the businesses interest in having you make labels/stickers/etc for them. Heh, my bro makes the labels for all 30 some farmers around here who sell their own brand so try it out. I guarantee it's well worth the adventure to work with it rather than having money.

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #12
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

The only reason he's giving it to me, is because he has no idea how to use it, nor the patience to. Also once I have the machine, he has a lineup of over 300 trucking companies that could use decals. This man has countless hookups when it comes to business needs.

Hopefully he just puts me on salary soon instead of just pay-per-job, I'm 3d modeling an entire product line of drug testing kits (100+ models), designing both 2d and 3d logos, and taking on the web design work of his 14 websites. Needless to say, it's keeping me busy.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
The only reason he's giving it to me, is because he has no idea how to use it, nor the patience to. Also once I have the machine, he has a lineup of over 300 trucking companies that could use decals. This man has countless hookups when it comes to business needs.

Hopefully he just puts me on salary soon instead of just pay-per-job, I'm 3d modeling an entire product line of drug testing kits (100+ models), designing both 2d and 3d logos, and taking on the web design work of his 14 websites. Needless to say, it's keeping me busy.
Well **** Shayne, you're pretty well set. Sounds like the plotter is your best option for a great business. It's funny he doesn't have the patience or know-how to run the plotter. They are the same as any printer with like 5 more option and/or check boxes to click XD They are simple as hell to run. So yeah, good job scoring that one. That's an amazing piece of equipment to have for the job it can do.

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
sumzup
(+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sumzup Send a message via MSN to sumzup

Wow. Nice deal; it looks like the plotter will pay for itself relatively quickly, and it also appears that you have a ****load of jobs lined up, which means that you won't really have to worry that much about money. Good luck! Once you actually get the plotter setup, make some vids of cool stuff you're doing with it. (at this rate, you might as well get your own subforum, what with all the threads you're making :P)
Old 01-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Or just take it to 32-Bit RGB.

Thanks for asking our input, though. Good luck with your new job(s).
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 01:24 AM   #16
enigmabomb
FFR Player

Dude. Take the cutter. Sell the cutter. Buy a much cheaper chinese made vinyl cutter that's just as good as the Roland, and then pay your bills. Use the chinese cutter to do jobs and if you feel like upgrading down the road when you've made some bank on it, do so. However, I think you'll find that upgrading is silly unless you need a larger size as the chinese cutters work pretty good now a days. This is what I have done, and I haven't turned back since.

Good luck, keep designing!

Josh - The Vinyl Cutter Guy
enigmabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

I like things to not break within 5 minutes of using it. Those cutters on that site are pretty good as far as pricing, especially the 48" one for $750. However, I think having a quality machine and not needing to upgrade will be the best option for the future. Thanks for the input though.