Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-3-2024, 02:19 PM   #1
_choof
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Default gauging interest in a series on charting

been playing around with this concept for a while in my head, but have recently begun writing this down and figuring out how to do this properly. the series will primarily be based on cosmovibe's charting guide, and the goal is to chart a specific song from start to finish throughout the series. anything that might be too advanced and/or not particularly relevant to the song will be addressed in another video, using examples from pre-existing charts. I already have a few songs in mind for the main series, feel free to recommend some though. as a reference, one song I have in mind is eos by ginkiha. this would be primarily geared towards 4k charting, stpemaina of course but should be applicable to other games like o!mania.

lemme know if this sounds like it would be helpful, and if so, what you might want to see in a video.

Last edited by _choof; 05-4-2024 at 01:15 PM..
_choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
Tru
e
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile Author

Default Re: gauging interest in a series on charting

Getting new people into charting has always been a challenge. I think a video series that includes a basic overview of AV and covers basic charting concepts could be very important to drawing people in.

I'd definitely start with some basic navigation of AV. I'd love to see a version of Etienne's How to use Etterna but for AV.
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2024, 03:18 AM   #3
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I am 100% all for it!
Old 05-4-2024, 06:58 AM   #4
Creosm
FFR Player

Absolutely, any video that can help people get into charting would be well appreciated I'm sure. I mean if it weren't for charters there wouldn't even be any content!
Creosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2024, 09:49 AM   #5
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Probably would be easiest to sperate it into three videos, but release them all the same time.

For example:

- Beginner -
Sync
Structure
Layering
- Advanced -
Mines
Fakes
Difficulty Fine-Tuning (Such as lowering the layering to keep it consistent, but not overwhelming, such as older Bmah spikes, and how to tune them down. Not trying to throw shit here, it's just a good example of a skill I wish I had personally.)
- Extra -
Colour Theory
BPM Gimmicks
Mine Dodge
Maybe chart atmosphere / art if you've played say Dear Eternity / Planet Karma. Which are files that are totally leagues of their own.

Just kind of throwing out some stuff. I'd keep stuff like navigation AV / ddream to their own work for the sake of making everything accessible, and not be overwhelmingly dense in information. But guides on these kind of things & topics would be very cool to see.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
_choof
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

releasing them all at once is the goal, but it'll definitely be more than three videos, I'll know more precisely once I start writing scripts and whatnot. sync could be one video, or it could be two if I want to make separate videos for syncing in av versus syncing in ddream, etc etc. some of the basics can definitely be condensed into single videos and still be digestible, more advanced stuff might need to have their own videos. like I mentioned, I'll primarily be using cosmovibe's guide to help with the series. I probably should have linked cosmovibe's guide in the original post lol, updated

that said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru View Post
Getting new people into charting has always been a challenge. I think a video series that includes a basic overview of AV and covers basic charting concepts could be very important to drawing people in.

I'd definitely start with some basic navigation of AV. I'd love to see a version of Etienne's How to use Etterna but for AV.
I'll do this as practice to see what putting effort into making a good video actually requires. that arrowvortex vid I posted recently was entirely off the cuff and I basically just recorded takes until I had one I liked. if this series is actually going to be beneficial I should probably learn how to properly edit

Last edited by _choof; 05-4-2024 at 01:16 PM..
_choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2024, 09:38 PM   #7
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

a b s t r a c t i o n
Old 05-5-2024, 12:00 PM   #8
WolfTypist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to WolfTypist

I've been gaining an interest in learning to chart, so I'll definitely want to see that!
WolfTypist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2024, 09:56 AM   #9
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

cool idea choof!

i also think that charting abilities comes into tiers, my personal road to become a proficient step artist would be something like this:

Novice:
- Learn to read waveforms, apply BPM and offset in AV
- Correctly sync music that drifts, has mutiple bpms, has cutting issues, has difficult to read waveform
- Cutting songs flawlessly
- Basic music theory and common timing mistakes to avoid (e.g. blue or yellow note syndrome)

Intermediate:
- Stepchart analysis from reputable stepcharters
- Learning to choose songs with charting potential
- Choosing songs that are compatibile with your charting experience
- Basic layering, following the main beats and tunes
- Learning about basic patterns and how to use them

Advanced:
- Advanced layering, learning how many and which instruments to follow
- Advanced pattern usage with emphasis on how much each hand is stressed at any time
- Difficulty fine tuning, learning how to balance layering accuracy with target intensity
- Meaningful usage of mines, rolls, and all other special notes
- Learning when to intentionally drop the layering of an instrument or keep partial layering to emphasise something else

Expert:
- Learning to chart dense songs, or songs with complex tempos
- Learning how to set a consistent difficulty thfoughtout the chart
- Learning how to use specific patterns in conjunction with the music for the maximum artistic effect
- Learning how to make concept charts which creatively interpret the music without following the actual rhythm (e.g. dumps)

And lastly, this is something purely optional, but in my personal experience you understand much better how to bring out the song's harmonic dynamics when you work with limitations. 4Keys are already a big limitation, but i got drastically better at 4key charting after spending a long time charting for pad, which is even more restictive on the amount of patterns and combinations you can use.

Last edited by Mollocephalus; 05-6-2024 at 09:57 AM..
Mollocephalus is offline   Reply With Quote