Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #221
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: THREAD MOTHAFUCKAS MINTY 2 BITCHES NEW PACK YEAH

now back to not making shit for this because im lazy af

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 04-22-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #222
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
Rocket Racer Run (ShadowGod) - The chart itself isn't too bad, it's just not exceptional. It might have been a standout in 2009, it might have been an era defining revelation in 2006, but so would a huge number of modern files. You have the right idea but the wrong approach, kind of like an air freshener made with sulfur.

The first major mistake is the first half. No file should (or at least, no file that I'll ever accept) be 60% intro at less than half the difficulty of the core of the file. The fact that you second guessed yourself on the latter half is kind of telling- the days of this approach have been played out. The era of harlem shake, son son sunday (even the intro in this is somewhat engaging and fun), corporal jigsaw quandary (the more offensive variation of too long too easy intro, the too long too easy outro), we've been there and done that then moved on. Nobody wants to sit through an agonizing bore of 35 seconds to play 25 seconds of 30 seconds (c what i did there), they can just pick another file that's more or less the same thing but without a boring intro and play that instead. I am also, perhaps, infamous for hating the use of slow freeze stream, particularly to (as I see it) lazily fill slow sections of songs, but I suppose you can be forgiven for not knowing that. It's the same issue I have with quadjacks- almost without exception anything that these patterns are viable for can be represented by something else more interesting, fun, and just as appropriate.

These are common criticisms I have of charters who come from a strong technical background and presumably don't spend all that much time playing dump files. Indeed the technical underpinnings of the chart are good, but there needs to be more than that. That's expected. Unfortunately you didn't give yourself any room to do more, which leads me to the second major issue. Song choice. I suppose in the most recent pages I wasn't as explicitly clear about what I do and do not want as I should have been. Anime ops and video game music fall into the broader pseudo-genre of stepmanias musics. So too do remixes. I do not want stepmanias musics. As noted in the op you can send me stepmanias musics but it's basically an auto reject unless your file is truly exceptional.

Fortunately for you, your mistake provides a good opportunity to learn a more nuanced lesson concerning song choice. Midare put it nicely when he said something along the lines of "sometimes I just want to put on some usher and bro out while smashing arrows". Ostensibly my rationale for not wanting stepmanias musics is because stepmania is already saturated with that shit and anyone can go and download 20000 files for them in half a day. I don't have anything to bro out to. While that is a large part of it, that rationale serves as an easily digestible and simple rule that (hopefully) precludes most submissions that fall prey to a larger issue without having to go into the explanation that I'm going to now.

It essentially boils down to what makes for interesting dump files on a conceptual level. Bmscore, o2jamjams, iidxmixes, lr2raves, sdvxvorbises, all that shit is literally made to be played in a music game. They're usually devoid of vocals. They're formulaic, designed sometimes even with a specific kind of file in mind. They lend themselves to simple technical charting with static bpms, distinct sounds and layering schemes, and clear rhythms. They do not lend themselves to creative interpretations of the music. They usually aren't thematic. There's not even really anything to interpret. They are excerpts from an electronic sound library and they say "here are sounds, arranged so you can hit them". There's no performance, no feeling, no story, no message, no idea, concept, intimacy, intensity, history, creativity, experimentation. It is a farce of music, and sure, every generation says that about the next generation of music- doesn't mean they're wrong. A catchy farce at best and an indistinguishable melange of pre-recorded sounds drowned out by the sheer triviality of its existence at anything less than that. A sequence of electronic signals simply meant to stimulate the cerebrum while you play the game.

It is an existence antithetical to dumping.

Now granted, this is less true for video game music external to rhythm gaming scene. It also doesn't really apply to anime music, and neither does the sterilizing lack of vocals. The problem with anime music is you just get 50 submissions for the same file to the same song with different lyrics sung by a different vocaloid or even more probably by the same nanahira at different bpms by a different weaboo.

Still, you didn't do yourself any favors with your selection. You handed yourself a 192 count box of crayons, all brown. At the start, there are sounds. At the end, there are the sounds, but with a new sound. Enter 32nds stage left, creative opportunity? Not even in the audience. 41.6s was your only real cue to do something different, to say "hey, pay attention to this sound!!". There's no rise or fall in intensity or prominence. Nothing really shifts to the foreground or background. There's nothing to play with, nothing to reveal. Nothing to hide.

It is a poem
With words and
A stanza and-
one layer, yet,
no meaning.
not one.

It is a play with one act. Curtains lift. Cameras and lights center on a man. His face is nondescript. He sits on a prop toilet, and he takes a dump. Curtains fall. Perhaps his choice to not flush is some sort of mes- ah, the sound of a flush. The sound engineer wasn't paying attention. The audience neither applauds, nor boos. There was none.

This is a vanilla scoring file, and an anachronistic one at that. It's paired with a forgettable background theme. A stale cracker and cheese stick, from a decades old lunchables. It echoes a sentiment described earlier "here are notes, arranged so you can hit them". The relative technicality of layering and pr'd 32nds means there's no real coherent pattern structure or theme. The file has no identity. The song has no identity.

And that's ok. But it's not right for this pack.

I appreciate that you want to contribute, I think you could get there, but you need to fundamentally change your perspective on how to approach dumping first. People often advise easing into a new concept or approach, using existing experience as a fallback. I think you need to do the opposite. You need to take something you have no idea how to approach and run at it full force. I'm not saying you need to finish it, I'm not saying it has to be good. Shit I can't tell you what to do with your time. But I am suggesting you need to bang your head against something you don't fundamentally understand for a little bit before you can get it.

I'll leave you with these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDhiHSksaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-yfeA2JZs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y
Gotcha! I have something else in mind. Might need a cut but not sure. I enjoyed how you poetically shredded my submission . Is there a date for submissions to be finished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
more like Shad-hoe God am I right haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
TIL women have breasts because of horniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkid666 View Post
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your hentai collection is commendable. i am both in awe and afraid of you
Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #223
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

there's no official submission close date, there's only a cap on the number of files

given the rate of acceptance thus far you have like, 4 or 5 months so there's not a rush
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #224
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here

Perfect. I'll get to work on something fresh I've never done before, here's hoping it turns out well

It's Royce Da 5'9" btw
EDIT: Do you want cuts to be made if the song feels too long or will that decision be made when the file is sent your way?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:

Last edited by Shadow_God_10; 04-22-2017 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #225
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I have an idea for a death grips chart brb
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #226
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Perfect. I'll get to work on something fresh I've never done before, here's hoping it turns out well

It's Royce Da 5'9" btw
EDIT: Do you want cuts to be made if the song feels too long or will that decision be made when the file is sent your way?
if it needs a cut i will suggest one

and by suggest one i mean it will sit in purgatory if you don't heed my suggestion
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #227
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here

This MIGHT need a cut... because I don't think people will want to sit through 6-10 streams of THIS

EDIT: LOL THAT CROPPING JOB IS BRILLIANT
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Shadow_God_10; 04-22-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Old 04-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #228
Skwid1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Skwid1

Quote:
Now granted, this is less true for video game music external to rhythm gaming scene. It also doesn't really apply to anime music, and neither does the sterilizing lack of vocals. The problem with anime music is you just get 50 submissions for the same file to the same song with different lyrics sung by a different vocaloid or even more probably by the same nanahira at different bpms by a different weaboo.
lol
Skwid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #229
dadcop2
FFR Player

play this on 1.3 and see if you still like it
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #230
choof
Banned

Quote:
just a friendly reminder that other music exists outside anime and video games

like everything from the 40s/50s/60s
nearly everything from the 60s-present day
everything before the 40s
contemporary remixes or reintepretations of everything before the 60s and/or 40s

nearly everything released in the last 24 hours
nearly everything that will be released in the next 24 hours

new parov stelar album in a couple days
paramore is back next month
within temptation is overdue for a new album

there's a fucking ac/dc ghostbusters remix on youtube that isn't stepped
have some jessica mother fucking rabbit and comb your hair with a mother fucking pocket knife
fucking moon nazi jams
snowflake bleeding heart cauterizer-melter hybrids CRY ABOUT IT
mother fucking stepmonicas
heres some fucking bleeding heart snowflake rap SHIT yea im calling justin timberwolf white as fuck snowflake ass mothafucka
mother fucking rock ballets
forget ballets forget postmodern dubstep this is premodern dubstep
youtube shit this out at me while i was yelling at all of you and its AWESOME WTF
who the fuck is this NOBODY KNOWS but that doesnt mean there cant be a STEPMANIAS for it
this bitch was definitely picked on by mean girls and made catchy pop songs because of it #gobullying
that song your grandpa likes a little too much and you're ashamed BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT TOO
NEONS FILE IS SHIT RESTEP THIS I REALLY LIKE AGGRESSIVE FEMALE VOCALS AND YOU SHOULD TOO BECAUSE ITS STEPPABLE AS SHIT
wait shit what there's more than 1 language WHAT????
LOFTY STEPPED A MOTHER FUCKING TANGO AND ITS LIKE THE BEST FILE SO FAR AND YOU CAN TOO!!!!
actually this isn't really steppable but you probably should listen to this before your meaningless life is over
OBLIGATORY VERY STEPPABLE 2008 YTMNDS
TAKE A STEP INTO THE ENUXPLORED BITCH WIDEN YOUR GODDAMN WORLD STEP A MORGAN FREEMAN NARRATED COMMERCIAL FOR TURKISH AIRLINES
WELL SMELTH THE LOST COUNTRY GENIUS

you can still send me a file for video game music of course don't feel dissuaded at all
I'm not clicking on all of these so gimme a song you feel that I could dump charterino
Old 04-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #231
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
I'm not clicking on all of these so gimme a song you feel that I could dump charterino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w2m-TeLi6I
Old 04-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #232
choof
Banned

why does it sound like she's singing with peanut butter in her mouth
Old 04-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #233
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaYBgHEC8g4
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #234
choof
Banned

why does it sound like he's peanut buttering with sing in his mouth
Old 04-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #235
Shxfted
Godly
FFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Sent you something that's pretty gay
Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #236
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here

Okay so I'm an idiot and got the wrong .Mp3 for the song I'm stepping.

Does anyone know if the chart you've currently made will stay if you name the .Mp3 the same as the .sm file? Basically what I'm doing is swapping out one .Mp3 for another but I'm keeping the chart as is
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #237
dadcop2
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Okay so I'm an idiot and got the wrong .Mp3 for the song I'm stepping.

Does anyone know if the chart you've currently made will stay if you name the .Mp3 the same as the .sm file? Basically what I'm doing is swapping out one .Mp3 for another but I'm keeping the chart as is
or you can use an ogg because thats what mina wants
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #238
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadcop2 View Post
or you can use an ogg because thats what mina wants
What's the difference between them? Better sound quality? Size in the file? I sent a .Mp3 for my first submission and he didn't have an issue with it I don't think.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #239
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
new parov stelar album in a couple days
this is really good by the way
Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #240
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

also im not dead but lofty is and i'm going to use that as an excuse to take a break from pack work and do other stuff

afaik the stuff that still needs reviews are files from fanta, shxfted and alexmandi

if you sent me something and your name isnt on that list then assume i forgot about it and send me an appropriately frustrated and/or hostile reminder

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 04-28-2017 at 11:37 PM..