Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #61
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Why Mainstream Sucks

I wouldn't call My Little Pony mainstream. If anything, I swear it seems like so many people are in the fandom just so they can appear to be different from everybody else (the exact opposite of mainstream). They notice the niche or sub-culture is large enough where they can still feel accepted by a large community of people thus it's more convincing to join the fandom. If anything, the mlp fandom is the mainstream with respect to all the people trying not to be mainstream.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #62
Dj_Ossa
SMGroove
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via Skype™ to Dj_Ossa

I just spent 30 bucks today and I haven't even left my house yet.

HIPSTER
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #63
dballin4
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dballin4 Send a message via MSN to dballin4

I've been that guy that throws Gangnam Style on the jukebox at the bar because sometimes it's just fun to dance to some silly shit. I also spend a lot of time listening to music most people haven't heard of, but I don't throw it down their throats because it's not ultra popular radio genre. I like to think I get a pretty healthy mix in there.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #64
04im
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Ossa View Post
I just spent 30 bucks today and I haven't even left my house yet.

HIPSTER
#realswag
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #65
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I remember hearing in some university class about people showing more enjoyment of things when they feel like they should enjoy, compared to when there's an outside reason for doing that same thing. It's not too far a stretch to generalize those studies to the art people enjoy, for example, what music someone listens to. Someone might actually enjoy listening to mainstream music when there's a clear way to not listen to it, but for whatever reason they listen to it anyways. Eg: you're in the car with a friend who says you can change the radio station, but you choose to leave it on the mainstream station. But that same person, when they're forced to listen to that music station at work because that's what plays, they find they don't like the music. Theoretically this is all supposed to happen because people don't like being in a state of cognitive dissonance. So the person might not actually like the song on the radio when they're in the car with a friend, but because they don't consciously know why they didn't change the station, they trick themselves into liking the music more to support their choice of not changing the station.
As to what enjoyment is more real or true...who's to say.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #66
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If it makes the papers or gets on national television, it's mainstream
MLP made the news, it possibly made the papers, not sure; it's mainstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE

Last edited by SKG_Scintill; 05-29-2013 at 02:51 AM..
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #67
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
If it makes the papers or gets on national television, it's mainstream
MLP made the news, it possibly made the papers, not sure; it's mainstream
I wouldn't say so.

Shootings make the papers and the news all the time. Does that mean it's mainstream to shoot people? Should I worry that every little Jimmy down the block is going to pull out a "piece" and start shooting people? I don't think so.

There's a big difference between mainstream knowledge that something exists and mainstream acceptance of it. I'm pretty sure someone who went around randomly killing people wouldn't be considered mainstream.

I don't consider MLP to be mainstream. I don't consider subcultures to be mainstream because if it were mainstream it wouldn't be a subculture -- it would just be "normal". Just because people know a subculture exists doesn't make that subculture mainstream. Is being Amish mainstream? People know they exist and have some general ideas about them.

--------------------

Also, ever notice how it's not uncommon for once good products or franchises to turn to crap? Most likely that's the mainstream process in action. Initially, the original popular whatever was created via some artistic vision. Once it was seen to do well enough, and gained enough popularity, it went mainstream, and then the creators were hindered in what they could do to "keep it mainstream". You then ended up with a stilted product, not uncommonly a "jumped the shark", and it just wasn't any good anymore.

Popularity isn't exactly the same thing as mainstream but there is high correlation. Provided an original creator can somehow maintain artistic/creative vision/integrity it's possible to end up with a popular product that hasn't fallen to the snares of the mainstream process. But more often than not it happens at some point. Hence the phrase "selling out".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #68
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

ponies and men = no

simple
Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #69
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S.M View Post
ponies and men = no

simple
Heteronormativity is the worst possible justification for insulting others over which TV shows they choose to watch. Think harder next time.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #70
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

I still can't believe this thread actually exists
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #71
04im
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post

I don't consider MLP to be mainstream. I don't consider subcultures to be mainstream because if it were mainstream it wouldn't be a subculture -- it would just be "normal". Just because people know a subculture exists doesn't make that subculture mainstream. Is being Amish mainstream? People know they exist and have some general ideas about them.
dude my little pony is on fucking cartoon network
that's mainstream
idk why you're trying to somehow single out some other mainstream stuff while defending mlp as some kinda unique niche of creative awesome people
Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #72
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Shootings make the papers and the news all the time. Does that mean it's mainstream to shoot people? Should I worry that every little Jimmy down the block is going to pull out a "piece" and start shooting people? I don't think so.
Breathing oxygen is too mainstream, stop breathing. Honestly, this whole "I can't stand mainstream shit" is actually just really annoying in general. You can't avoid doing mainstream stuff. Ya gotta just weave in and out and find a balance, kinda like yin/yang.

edit: And the people complaining about pony stuff all like shit that's fucking annoying to other people too. I like Animu too much and that offends most people. Others just like the wrong genre of music and that immediately offends other people. Hell, even being the wrong religion is enough to offend too many people.

Conclusion: stop giving a fuck and move on.

Last edited by Pseudo Enigma; 05-29-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #73
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04im View Post
dude my little pony is on fucking cartoon network
that's mainstream
idk why you're trying to somehow single out some other mainstream stuff while defending mlp as some kinda unique niche of creative awesome people
1) That'd be the hub, not cartoon network. If you're going to spout "facts" at least get it right.

2) Even if the show is/was mainstream, would that make the fandom mainstream when it's completely different from the initial target audience and generally isn't accepted by the mainstream media?

3) I'm not the one who turned this thread (or others, for that matter) into pony discussion. If you want to argue valid points, fine, but don't blame me for this crap. It's so funny how all you anti-pony people get so worked up about OMG PONIES EVERYWHERE but yet you're the ones who start the pony discussion in the first place. Don't like it? Don't bring it up.

Sidenote: Yeah, I do think the MLP fandom has some creative awesome people behind it. So what? Jealous much? Otherwise why keep bringing it up?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #74
.Gazelle.
Mr. Skeltal
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

is this fucking real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKrispyKreme View Post
Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.
.Gazelle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #75
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

I love mainstream stuff, and I wear hollister

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #76
04im
FFR Player

holy shit this is your photo on ffr

i dont even know if you're a master troll or you're actually one of those stereotypical fedora-wearing bronies

holy shit ive never seen one before until now

u look ok and then i realize ur wearing a fedora while defending my little pony as a show with lots of 'creative awesome fans'

and here's an associated press interview meaning u guys r p. mainstreaMime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vrvRh0H4Nw#t=0m50s

here is ur kind

Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #77
04im
FFR Player

people like u make other my little pony watchers look bad sry
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #78
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

You dislike ponies...aaand yet you're still talking about ponies?

And yeah part of it is for the lols, in case you haven't figured it out yet. Believe it or not *GASP* many MLP fans are in it for the humorous apsects. It's not near as "serious" a fandom as many outside it would believe. Am I to assume that a large number of people simply lack a sense of humor? because that's what it's looking like.

Don't you think it's a bit ridiculous? Of course it is! That's what makes it so hilarious -- if you had a sense of humor, that is.

But I mean if you want to keep talking about ponies, go right ahead. Just remember I'm neither the one who brought this up nor the one who continues to complain about ponies. Your call.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #79
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
It's not near as "serious" a fandom as many outside it would believe.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wingboner-clopping

your turn
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #80
04im
FFR Player

just cause i dislike mlp's weird side of fandom doesnt mean i cant talk about it

nice logic dude