Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events > Tournaments
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Fractal_Monkey
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Fractal_Monkey's Time Trial Tournament

Tournament's over, congratulations Tass!

Hello everyone, and welcome to my Time Trial Tournament. This will be my second attempt at hosting a tourney, and my first one that is non-FFR based. Because there are no eliminations, people are free to sign up at any time and try their hand at the games linked in this thread. Round 1 will be posted on Friday evening (April 18th).

What is a time trial tournament?

This tournament will last a total of four weeks, from the start of Round 1. I will be adding a new round every 3-4 days over that period, with 7 rounds in total. However, the seven games that comprise these rounds all have one common theme: they are all timed in some way. Each round will have the same objective - play the game, and get the fastest time you can. Post screenshots of your best times in this thread, and I'll keep the scoreboard up to date.

You may post any number of times for each round, with your most recent post counting for the round. Any improvement to a time is important, even if it's only a few tenths of a second.

How does the scoring work?

Because the games I have chosen for this tournament all take different amounts of time to complete, I will use a form of scaling in an effort to "balance out" the times. In each round, your time will be compared to everyone else's times, and it will be expressed as a percentage of the speed of the fastest person in that particular round. Your score will be calculated as follows:

Your score = (Time of fastest entrant / Your time) * 100

So a sample leaderboard may look like this, with all times displayed in seconds:

Player A - 40.00 (100.00%)
Player B - 50.00 (80.00%)
Player C - 53.22 (75.16%)

A non-submission in any round will count as a time of infinity seconds, and thus will have a score of zero.

At the end of the tournament, the percentages from all 7 rounds for each player will be added up, and the person with the highest score at the end wins.

Are you just going to put up 7 racing games?

No. In fact, only 2 games fall into that category, and they are both different styles of racing. There will be mouse control, reflex testing, puzzle games, platformers, even a sport which normally has nothing to do with time trials.

How do I sign up?

Just post in this thread saying you're in. If the tournament's already started, just post with some scores, and I'll add you in.

What are the prizes?

Prizes will be awarded to the top half of entrants. I am putting forward 30,000 credits towards the prize fund. Donations are welcome, just let me know how much you donate if you choose to do so. More donations means a bigger prize, and that benefits everybody, so feel free to donate as much as you like! You'll even get a special mention in this post.

There will be two side events as well. The first is a small credit prize going to the person with the fastest overall time for all 7 rounds. For the second, I will post my best time for a game at the start of the round. The person who beats my times in the greatest number of rounds will get another small credit prize. If two or more are tied, one will be chosen randomly.

The Prize layout for highest score and fastest overall time is below. This is based entirely on the total prize fund, which may increase with donations. [/hint]

Score prize fund: 13,500 credits
1st: 6,000
2nd: 3,000
3rd: 2,000
4th: 1,500
5th: 1,000

Aggregate Time prize fund: 13,500 credits (must complete all 7 rounds to be eligible)
1st: 6,000
2nd: 3,000
3rd: 2,000
4th: 1,500
5th: 1,000

Most bonuses prize: 3,000

Current Donations

Fractal_Monkey - 30,000 credits

Total: 30,000 credits

A list of entrants, round details, and scores will all be in the next post.

Last edited by Fractal_Monkey; 05-16-2008 at 05:40 PM..
Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Fractal_Monkey
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Fractal_Monkey's Time Trial Tournament

All rounds are open at all times!

Tournament Ends: Friday May 16th, 11 p.m. BST (3 p.m. Pacific, 6 p.m. Eastern)

Round 7 - Platform Racing 2

It seems only fitting that a time trial tournament should end with a game that has "racing" in its title. Customise your character, and race either on your own or against others online. This round, you will need to complete the following three courses in Campaign Mode:

Mario Bros remix (rank 1 required)
razor blade (rank 4 required)
its new york! (rank 6 required)

The first few ranks are pretty easy to obtain by beating people in races, so you should have no problem unlocking the courses. Screenshot your best time on each course and post them here. Your time for the round will be your combined time on the three courses. You do not have to play the courses consecutively, as long as you've played all three.

Bonus

When taking the screenshot, you can scroll around the level after you've finished the race. Make sure that the text is over a light background, to make it easier to read. See my screenshots as an example. While you're at it, I'll give you a bonus point if you beat my combined time of 4:35.

Round 6 - Bike Mania

Long, potentially high-variance, demanding, repetitive background music - this game has it all. In Bike Mania, navigate the bike over a series of obstacles. If you crash, the level restarts and the timer keeps running. Finish all 20 levels and post your best effort in this thread.

Bonus

This game is very difficult to complete flawlessly, as my score testifies. Do better than this for a bonus point.

Note: if Kongregate flips out on you, like it did here, make sure that your login info is displayed, and everything should be fine.

Round 5 - Crazy Golf

Due to technical issues, Round 5 has been replaced. Instead of running along a line, you now get to play speed crazy golf. What sets this apart from other golf games is that your final score relative to par isn't really relevant. Instead, you must complete the 18-hole course in the fastest time you can. For legitimacy reasons, you must also get a final score of +20 or better (lower). I may allow a score worse than +20 if the round time is high enough to justify it, but any fast time should beat +20 anyway.

Bonus

This is what happens when you rush a round of golf. Rush it more than I have for a bonus point:

Round 4 - Shift 2

Round 4 is a long, low-variance round, where you could potentially gain tens of seconds on your opponents. In Shift 2, you are Subject 32765, trapped in a fiendish maze of puzzles. Jump and shift your way to the end of the game, and post your time here. Either ending will be accepted, but you will receive a 15 second penalty to your time if you are eaten by snakes. Snake bites hurt, and the toxic venom will slow you down, as well as killing you. If possibly, try to escape the facility for maximum points.

Bonus

This bonus should be a bit more difficult to get than previous ones, since I'm actually quite decent at this game. Beating my score will get you your bonus:

Round 3 - Polar Drift (Course 1)

Back to a short game for Round 3. This time, we take a quick break from Kongregate and look at a different style of timed game. In Polar Drift, you must pilot a snowmobile through a slippery course as fast as you can. The amount of slide, steering sensitivity, and power are all adjustable - it's a question of finding the best combination of settings for your racing skills.

Load up Course 1, and post your fastest time in this thread. If possible, get a screenshot of your vehicle at the end of the course, like the one I have provided in the bonus section. This is to verify that you've raced on the correct course.

Bonus

For you bonus hunters out there, this is your third opportunity to claim a point. Simply show that you're better at this game than I am:

The first screen stays for 5-6 seconds after you finish the course, so you should have enough time to find the Print Screen button.

Round 2 - The Fancy Pants Adventures

For this round, we have a game that's actually a reasonable challenge to complete, and even more of one to complete quickly. Guide your guy in fancy pants through the obstacles, stomping spiders and swiping squiggles, and defeat the evil penguin in as little time as is humanly possible. To see the in-game timer in the top right-hand corner, just hit "t" while playing.

Bonus

This score is definitely beatable by someone who can get Kongregate's 30 point badge. No 30 points for beating this time, but you do get a shiny bonus point.

Round 1 - Scribble

Round 1 begins! A nice, easy game to start you off. Just connect the dots to complete 20 pictures as fast as you can. To get a good time, you'll need a steady hand, fast reflexes and possibly a good mouse. Remember, you're competing against everyone else, not just the clock.

Bonus

The person who beats my best time in the greatest number of rounds wins a credit prize as well. Below is a screenshot of my best Scribble time. Beat it and you get a bonus point.

Scores and Standings

Round 7

Commandersa1 - 3:09 (100%) + BONUS
Tasselfoot - 3:24 (92.65%) + BONUS
blackjack2300 - 4:27 (70.79%) + BONUS

Round 6

Commandersa1 - 6:16 (100%) + BONUS
Tasselfoot - 6:29 (96.66%) + BONUS
blackjack2300 - 11:17 (55.54%) + BONUS

Round 5

Tasselfoot - 4:06 (100%) + BONUS
Commandersa1 - 4:47 (85.71%) + BONUS
blackjack2300 - 6:41 (61.35%)

Round 4

Commandersa1 - 333.1 (100%) + BONUS
Tasselfoot - 334.5 (99.58%) + BONUS
blackjack2300 - 355.4 (93.73%)

Round 3

Tasselfoot - 25.91 (100%) + BONUS
Commandersa1 - 29.52 (87.77%)
blackjack2300 - 32.72 (79.19%)
darkness3608 - 34.64 (74.80%)

Round 2

Commandersa1 - 153.50 (100%) + BONUS
Tasselfoot - 155.50 (98.71%) + BONUS
EI_Tizzy - 158.80 (96.66%) + BONUS
blackjack2300 - 168.10 (91.31%) + BONUS
pmonibuv1 - 199.63 (76.89%)
darkness3608 - 212.33 (72.29%)

Round 1

MrRubix - 40.62 (100%) + BONUS
Commandersa1 - 47.22 (86.02%) + BONUS
blackjack2300 - 49.26 (82.46%) + BONUS
Tasselfoot - 51.42 (79.00%) + BONUS
Sk8IT - 58.86 (69.01%) + BONUS
SoultakerNFH - 59.22 (68.59%) + BONUS
pmonibuv1 - 70.46 (57.65%)
dandandamdandan1111 - 74.64 (54.42%)
darkness3608 - 79.72 (50.95%)
funmonkey54 - 104.30 (38.95%)

Final Standings in full:

List of Entrants:

EnR
Commandersa1
Evascythe
funmonkey54
EI_Tizzy
dandandamdandan1111
Sk8IT
Tasselfoot
blackjack2300
PoopFartMonkeyCrap
darkness3608
SoultakerNFH

Last edited by Fractal_Monkey; 05-16-2008 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Last round is up, gogogogo
Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

.wut
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Commandersa1
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

In!

I like these types of tournaments.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Evascythe
evascythe
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Evascythe

i will sign up my fellow poland-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
I love your avatar and you seem like a chill dude
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

IN!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
dogdude84
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

in

Tournament Wins:
Cry4eternity's First Tournament (Standard division)

^lulz^

Super Smash Bros. Brawl LADDER

^ScArY^
Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
EI_Tizzy
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

innie
After poop, it seems like all the places are filled. Awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedwell
Norway is going to rape. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr
They're too expensive. Like your English hookers. Cost too much. Stick to good 'ol fashion cheap hookers. We offer them in Sweden too ^^
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
dandandamdandan1111
the baker man
FFR Veteran

I'll join.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
pmonibuv1
yes
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to pmonibuv1 Send a message via Skype™ to pmonibuv1

im in this for sure. i didnt read it but i will eventually.
FMO AAA's (55): Rottel-Da-Station, Church Bells, Arrogant Cobbler, Grocery Escape Plan, Disconnected Hardkore, Minute Waltz v2, Battle Theme #37, Flight of the Bumblebee, Midnight Dragon, Jeanie and Caroline, Blue-Violet, Puzzle, Kyrie, 300, Largiloquent Dithyramb, Brandish Headless, Going On Spring Wind, Novo Mundo, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Starwolf, Melonman's OP, Summer Time Perfume, Perfect Cherry Storm, Hajnal, Epidermis, Strangeprogram, Thrash, Lawn Wake I (LW EP Edit), Choprite, AIM Anthem, Dance and Zeal, Kanon Medley ~Metal Wings~, Clockwork, JULIA, Heavenly Spores, Distorted God, Radio Heads, Epilogue, Spoils, Ripoff, Since 1983, A FLOWER GARDEN, The earth blew up, Phalanx, Chronograph, Black Key Etude, Trinity, super mario bros theme (original NES is awesome), Jack-The-Ripper, Poppin' Shower, cheerful forest, Trisection v2, Devilz Staircase, Colibri, Club

FGO AAA's (2): Time To Eye, The Bird's Concrete Nosedive

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
Fractal_Monkey
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Just to let everyone know, some of the rounds are based on the ever-popular Kongregate. Making an account there and adding me (FractalMonkey, no spaces) as a friend will help with score validation and all that.

Expect the first round in a couple of days.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Sk8IT
FFR Player

innnn

TEAM CHAOS
--Sk8It--
Old 04-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
Fractal_Monkey
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Round 1 is up, guys. Even if you haven't signed up, feel free to join in. Signups are open throughout the tournament.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
dogdude84
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Blah, Scribble is so laggy on my computer, plus my mouse isn't all too responsive.

Tournament Wins:
Cry4eternity's First Tournament (Standard division)

^lulz^

Super Smash Bros. Brawl LADDER

^ScArY^
Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
dandandamdandan1111
the baker man
FFR Veteran

Eh...

Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

just saw this.... sup.

and, purely time trial, or will there be some mental "speed boosts"?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
blackjack2300
FFR Player

im in
Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
Sk8IT
FFR Player

There we go

TEAM CHAOS
--Sk8It--
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Fractal_Monkey
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
just saw this.... sup.

and, purely time trial, or will there be some mental "speed boosts"?
It'll most likely be pure time trial. I'm not too good at thinking up mental rounds, though I have had a little profile progression number in the works for a while now. I may get round to finishing it as an unrelated side event, but don't expect too much.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

your sub-60 time is pretty solid.... although i am, as a general rule, quite slow at games like this. i had a 1 mistake run and was in the mid-61s. not sure even with a flawless run i can get sub-60.