Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #21
rockincoke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to rockincoke Send a message via MSN to rockincoke
Default Re: Music that you listen to that not many know about v2

I ♥ RJD2 hard-core.

cupcakeface X (9:23:16 PM): tell me the hotdog story again!!!
Magus355 (9:23:22 PM): no
cupcakeface X (9:23:25 PM): why???
Magus355 (9:23:36 PM): because there's nothin special about it
Magus355 (9:23:43 PM): I mean, they cooked some ****in hot dogs and I ate some
rockincoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

Great Singing:
Eisely

Eisley is an indie pop band from Tyler, Texas, consisting of four siblings (Chauntelle, Sherri, Stacy, and Weston DuPree) and their cousin (Garron DuPree).
Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #23
Pumble
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pumble

i support all mentions of RJD2 and 65dos

Blockhead

Anthony Simon, better known by his stage name Blockhead, is an American producer and DJ, mainly of Hip-hop music. Aside from the solo efforts he released on the Ninja Tune label, he has worked with Aesop Rock, including nine tracks on Labor Days and eleven on Float. He has also worked with S.A. Smash, Slug of Atmosphere and Murs and is a member of the hip hop/comedy group Party Fun Action Committee.

Downtempo intrumental hip-hop, i listened to his Music By Cavelight album recently and loved it.

Psapp (thanks mead)

Psapp is an experimental electronica band. The band, a duo consisting of members Carim Clasmann and Galia Durant, are sometimes credited with inventing a musical style known as toytronica, a form of electronica made with toys and toy instruments (the band uses toy guitars, flutes, and a chicken they named Brunhilda). They have released three albums (Northdown, Tiger, My Friend and newly released The Only Thing I Ever Wanted) and four EPs (Do Something Wrong, Rear Moth, Buttons and War and the iTunes exclusive Early Cats and Tracks). They composed the song Cosy in the Rocket, the main theme on the hit medical-drama TV series Grey's Anatomy. Some of their other songs have been used in other hit American TV shows such as The OC and Nip/Tuck as well as the UK Channel 4 TV show Sugar Rush.

Burial

(no image exists)
Burial is the working name of an anonymous musician from London working in the genre of dubstep. His eponymous debut album was released in 2006 to critical acclaim, including being named as Album of the Year in The Wire magazine.

Only one album, but it's a good one. I really don't know how to describe it, it's very moody and emotional. Worth a listen.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #24
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

More Honorable Mentions. Some have popularity, others not so much, all are beautiful-
Snow Patrol

Snow Patrol are a rock band from Northern Ireland and Scotland, currently based in Glasgow and signed to Polydor Records. Originally formed as an indie rock band, Snow Patrol has sought a more alternative rock sound in recent years on the heels of mainstream success with the songs "Run" and "Chasing Cars".
Feist

Can you say **** yes? I can. **** yes. Leslie Feist (born February 13, 1976) is a Canadian singer-songwriter. She performs as a solo artist under the name Feist, and as a member of Broken Social Scene.
Luis Enrique Bacalov

Luis Enríquez Bacalov (b. Buenos Aires March 30, 1933) is a prolific Argentine composer of film scores. Early on in his career, he composed scores for Spaghetti Western films, including Django, Storm Rider and The Price of Power. Bacalov has been nominated twice for Academy Awards: for Scoring of Music--adaptation or treatment for The Gospel According to St. Matthew in 1967 and winning the award for Original Music Score for Il Postino in 1996.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (formerly punctuated Godspeed You Black Emperor!) is a Canadian post-rock band based in Montreal, Quebec. Formed in 1994, the ensemble has been quite influential in its genre, with bands from as far as Hong Kong and Singapore citing them as influences in their musical work. Working on a near orchestral scale, the nine-piece group has been known to create wide dynamic ranges, unique use of instrumentation and sounds, large songs that are composed almost classically with multiple movements within themselves, and engrossing use of art and visuals in both their album packaging and live performances. They are currently on an indefinite hiatus, as members of the band are busy with many other projects.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #25
matt_mcburney
FFR Player

x japan
was a popular Japanese band founded in 1982 by drummer and pianist Yoshiki Hayashi and vocalist Toshimitsu "Toshi" Deyama.[1] Originally named X (エックス), the group achieved its breakthrough success in 1989 with the release of their second album Blue Blood. They started out as a power/speed metal band and later gravitated towards a progressive sound, at all times retaining an emphasis on ballads. After three more albums, X Japan disbanded in 1997. On February 11, 2007 a possible reunion was announced.

and an ambient band called sleep thief. There amazing here is a there myspace http://www.myspace.com/sleepthief
matt_mcburney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 AM   #26
x6tence
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to x6tence Send a message via Yahoo to x6tence

Skream

Skream (born Oliver Jones in West Wickham, Bromley[1]) is a 21 year-old dubstep producer based in Croydon.[2] One of dubstep's first[3] and most prominent producers, he has played an important role in the genre's development.[4]

As a teenager, Jones worked at Big Apple Records, a Croydon-based record store that was at the center of the early dubstep scene; even prior to this, Jones had become acquainted with Hatcha, another dubstep pioneer, because Jones' brother worked on an adjacent floor in Big Apple Records.[1] As a result of this encounter, Hatcha was the first DJ to play Skream dubplates.[2]

Jones began producing music at the age of 15[1] (using Fruity Loops)[2] and claims to now have roughly 1,500 songs in varying stages of development.[4] Skream's early productions were often with another alumnus of Big Apple, Benga, and are of a decidedly darker and less melodic nature than later releases.[5]

[edit] Rise to prominence
As dubstep started to be noted by conventional media such as The Guardian[3] and Pitchfork,[4] Jones' music started to take on a more melodic sound; less overtly influenced by the darker, UK garage influenced sounds of early dubstep artists such as Horsepower Productions, with dub, house, and even jazz influences instead.[5] The 2005 Skream track "Midnight Request Line" has been described as "dubstep's most recognizable crossover hit"[6], and has been praised by producers as diverse as grime producer Wiley, and minimal techno producer Ricardo Villalobos.[7] The key change in the chorus, which Wire has described as "an epic change of key and tempo that recall(s) the classicist mannerisms of Derrick May",[8] has been credited as being a key factor in the evolution of a more melodic sound in the dubstep genre. [5]

Skream has released records on a variety of UK record labels, such as Tempa, Tectonic, and Big Apple Records, including a self titled album on the Tempa label.[9] He has performed in Europe, the US, Australia, and Japan,[10] as well as the UK.[11] He hosts a weekly show on Rinse FM, called Stella Sessions.[12][13]

On June 17, 2007, Skream was featured on BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix.[14] On the 17th of October 2007 skream announced that Skreamizm volume 4 will be in the shops in November 2007
x6tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #27
plasmix
FFR Player

Hello again thread.

Elliott Smith
Neutral Milk Hotel
Sufjan Stevens
Wilco

If you like the mellow, folky, singer-songwritery sound, pick up stuff by these guys.
plasmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #28
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MagicCarpetRide

I was expecting music that a lot of people actually don't know about.
Come on guys, everyone knows RJD2,Aesop Rock has been a big name for a long time now, and if you know anything about hip-hop you know immortal technique.
In my opinion.....This thread failed from the first post.

MASSIVE EDIT: Didn't notice how old this thread was when it started. I guess Aesop Rock is legit now because he recently gained a lot of fanbase due to his new album...
I was thinking the thread was made after his most recent album.

Last edited by MagicCarpetRide; 12-27-2007 at 02:23 PM..
MagicCarpetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #29
plasmix
FFR Player

Many of these artists are popular for their respective genres. Oftentimes it's the genre that people don't know about.
plasmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #30
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

I'll go on and mention:
Psychostick

Who are probably already well known for "The Beer Song" and "Two Ton PaperWeight" but not much else.

Genre? Think of it as comedic rock/metal. Songs with good music and funny (if a bit insane) words to go with it.

Last edited by Telvanni_guard; 12-29-2007 at 07:48 AM..
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #31
Corbin Wells
FFR Player

Bands I listen to that not many know about...Hm...Well Dimmu Borgir has reached 50,000 albums sold in the U.S. Considering their black metal oriented, that's a big release so they aren't too well known (not that only 50,000 know about them in the U.S but still)

http://www.dimmu-borgir.com/

Kamelot: I'm sure many more people know of Kamelot, but they aren't really plugged by the media as well so here they are: http://kamelot.com/momvideo.htm (buy everything they have made you will not be disappointed )

Epica: They're another special treat: http://www.epica.nl/

Their new album doesn't surpass Consign to Oblivion to me, in some spots...

download my sims now =3:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...h=Corbin+Wells

FFR Furry, NYC
Corbin Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #32
edubardus
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGEEEEEEE
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Massive Attack

Massive Attack are an English trip hop band. Founded in Bristol in 1988, the band consists of Robert Del Naja and Grantley Marshall. With the release of their debut album Blue Lines (1991), Massive Attack were critically acclaimed for their fusion of jazz, hip hop, rock, and soul elements into a new genre, trip-hop. With the release of later albums such as Protection (1994) and Mezzanine (1998), the band integrated forms of electronic music into their sound. Yet the band have retained a broad fan base, their work has been used in many feature films and television shows, such as The Matrix[1] and House.

They have released four studio albums, two movie soundtracks, one remix album, and a greatest hits collection. Massive Attack are constant collaborators and have worked with a diverse mix of artists, from Sinéad O'Connor to reggae musician Horace Andy to Madonna.

Last edited by bluguerrilla : Today at 08:51 PM. Reason: edubardus/
edubardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #33
jakeyjake7
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to jakeyjake7

psychostick

xaunitx http://www.myspace.com/xaunitx prepare to be assaulted by hardcore

DJ JTS http://www.myspace.com/jts325 listen to xpill it is sex

DJ Egadz http://www.myspace.com/djegadz

Number 23 http://www.myspace.com/number23unity ska attack

DJ Harley Vitality

theDESTROYER http://tinyurl.com/3955dm a vid of one of his live gigs

Tramonto http://www.myspace.com/tramonto11

that's about it.
jakeyjake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #34
x6tence
FFR Player

good stuff folks.
Old 01-1-2008, 10:18 PM   #35
Pyroshock
ε=-dΦ/dt
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Pyroshock

Oceansize

Oceansize are a five-piece rock group based in Manchester, England. Formed in 1998, Oceansize have gone on to release three full length albums — Effloresce (2003), Everyone Into Position (2005) and Frames (2007) — in addition to a number of minor EPs and singles. The band is labelled variously as progressive rock (a classification the band rejects), indie and metal, among other genres.
Pyroshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-1-2008, 11:00 PM   #36
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I like alot of Jillain Goldin's stuff. Her CD is coming out soon. cant wait.

Besides that, must people dont know that I still listen to Elvis Records and the Zombies whenever I get chance

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2008, 12:42 AM   #37
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Keny Arkana, Bouga Akhenaton, Le 3eme Oeil.
reptile3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2008, 12:47 AM   #38
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Most of my music...well almost all of it.
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2008, 02:14 AM   #39
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Van Stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Number 3 Best Band In Palmdale
Old 01-2-2008, 11:48 AM   #40
x6tence
FFR Player

Empire of Zombies