Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Generosity is bullshit

The problem is that things become confusing when you start talking about problems like these in terms of vague constructs like "purpose." It's much easier to tackle these problems through a materialist/evolutionary standpoint. "Purpose" is just "an inherent inclination to seek utility and avoid disutility" at the most basic level, and you can trace that concept back clear to the ideas of abiogenesis if you like. The same concept will always apply at every step of the evolutionary pathway. I use "utility" here loosely, as it can either mean "happiness" if you're a sentient being, or "useful things for survival" if you're not -- with those concepts gradually melting into each other (and yet remaining virtually identical) at all steps in between.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #22
3Bey
FFR Player

Default Re: Generosity is bullshit

Ok, I thought of it the last two days and I'm finally convinced that my "proof" made too fast conclusions. I imagined some possible situations in which we have multiple goals without a fundamental one (like the goal of evading pain that grows higher then the goal of staying alive through torture) and I finally have to concede that what I wrote what... bullshit.

But, if I agree with you on that point, Cavernio, I don't agree on your last words. I see now, I made a "mistake in my reflections, but I really tried to do my best. It wasn't a competition for me. I really was seeking the truth. I like philosophy, but I still can do mistake. Also, it's f**ing difficult for me to read and respond in my second language, in a domain that gives so many importances to real word's signification.

Again, I'm sorry, but no need here to be aggressive. I understand how frustrating my answer could have been to someone else’s point of view, but never did I was offensive intentionally. Never do you have to be either.
3Bey is offline   Reply With Quote