Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-3-2013, 05:59 AM   #21
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: how much do you spend on food

The more you pay for food the less you get. 200 a week is reasonable if you're eating out three times a day at decent places
Old 10-3-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Right now, I probably spend about 1200 RUB a week on grocery runs (and that can include things I choose not to eat, like dish soap or laundry detergent). It works out to less than $40 CAD (also less than $40 USD), and I can get down with that.

By the end of the week I've usually consumed most of the food except for these bizarrely cheap yet decently sized bags of pasta for less than 30 RUB that could last me a while. I also buy eggs in flats of 30 that last me two weeks because they're i) cheap and ii) if I somehow manage to run out of food earlier I can live off eggs for a meal or two before making a crucial grocery run.

I eat fairly elaborate meals twice a day (or fairly elaborate leftovers because I always make too much), and breakfast is usually a banana and yogurt or eggs and hashbrowns (depending on if I made potatoes the night before). I'm not working while studying in Moscow, so due to moderate budgetary reasons I rarely snack. However, I wasn't expecting the food to be so cheap in Russia compared to Canada and could probably spend more on chocolate, etc. if I so desired.

Lunch at the university is also incredibly cheap (150 RUB for a very filling meal; less than $5 CAD), so I usually cash in on that when I'm around.
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

since my gf started more or less living with me, about 250$ per month.

Costco :3

I make home cooked meals every day, for almost every meal (leftovers count). Though we eat out about once per week. I just choose to eat a little more luxuriously to ensure our diet is healthy yet diversified. This means paying a little more for better quality meats, varying side dishes and such.
Old 10-3-2013, 07:34 AM   #24
smartdude1212
2 is poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
I just choose to eat a little more luxuriously to ensure our diet is healthy yet diversified. This means paying a little more for better quality meats, varying side dishes and such.
This is why, when I was inherently budgeting for Moscow, I more or less cut out snacks -- I didn't want to find myself eating the cheapest things several times a week just to meet some sort of junk-free budget.

Then I discovered that everything is, relatively speaking, far cheaper than what I can get in Canada, so diversifying the meals is easy and I can be the occasional slob if I want!
Old 10-3-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
DotKritic
Forum User

I keep it under $150. Then there's days where I eat out.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

I'm too afraid of the reality of it to keep track. but no where near korny levels lmfao
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

If we're including wine pairing then those figures are very accurate.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad

Wow you guys spend so little on groceries

I live with two other guys, and we're extreme dieters. We normally split the entire year into thirds and pay for the groceries for our third. Typically about $350 a month including toiletries. $400 if we buy beer lol
Old 10-3-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
PriestREA
ddkdkd
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I've spent as low as $18 on food in a single month (2 bags of mister noodles during my WoW binge every day ~60 cents a day...)

But in all seriousness, I spend a ton of money on food. Sometimes I've gone and spent $40 a day on a couple of meals (3 burgers for lunch, 3 for dinner), that sort of stuff.

I would say I spend about $650 a month on food at this moment weed munchies lol

Probably throw in another $300 for vodka/liquor for parties every month.

I think a good price for you would be around $300 a month. You can spend about $10 a day which could get you a nice dish of pasta & a side.

Last edited by PriestREA; 10-3-2013 at 01:37 PM..
PriestREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Somewhere between 100-200/week for 2, so I guess that's ~75$ for 1, prolly a bit higher. If I didn't try to eat local and organic (especially meat), it'd be less. Also if I used regular flour and fats it'd be less too. But what can I say, premade duck confit for 9$ a leg where I have to do NOTHING but shove in the oven? Precooked whole lobster, 13$? I'm sold.
Never eating out has saved a shit ton of money. A couple of pizzas ordered once a week can nearly double weekly eating expenses. I did not expect to save any money eating a highly specialized homecooked diet, but I completely underestimated how much money eating out cost. On top of that, I get tax credit for some of the food I eat.
I also bake a lot more than I would alone.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

200 a week on flour extracted local organic duck legs
Ohaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 03:40 PM   #32
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I spend way too much on food but that's mostly because shit is expensive here. I usually do like $10 for lunch, so that's like $300 right there per month, plus whatever I spend on dinner and I'm too afraid to calculate that.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

$125/week for my university's 24/7 unlimited meal plan. food's great too c:

Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 10-3-2013 at 04:04 PM..
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 05:33 PM   #34
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

It varies. Sometimes around $10 in a day. Sometimes $0 in a day. Not at all consistent. You do the math and all that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 08:47 PM   #35
Lambdadelta
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

150$-200$
Depends if I have extra food from the previous month or not.
Old 10-3-2013, 10:02 PM   #36
speeddemon
FFR Player

6 people in my house, usually food runs about $1000 a month and that's just grocery cost. And yes we shop at a big bulk store, yes we buy for meals not snacks. If we ever eat out it's on our own money individually, and I estimate eating out (not even like legit restaurants, just fast food sorts of things) costs at about 400-600 for the house for the month. So i guess weekly minimum is $350?

Honestly for the most part I don't find food costs outrageous, except for the huge price difference in eating healthy and eating fat. No reason something that's for the betterment of everyone's health should cost so damn much, it's silly.
speeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2013, 10:44 PM   #37
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Costco :3
I don't know about Costco, but I did the Sam's Club thing for a little bit.

Some stuff was a cheaper... but much of it had similar unit pricing to a common grocery store, while being forced to take a larger size and have shitty selection on variety-- if you want soup, you can have chicken noodle or tomato or NOTHING ELSE. I drink a lot of soda, so I was excited to get a deal on soda, but it wasn't even remotely cheaper there. I was mad. And they only had SOME Coke products and SOME Pepsi and ONE option for Faygo. So stupid. I feel like they cheat people, make them think that things are cheaper there when much of it actually has similar markup to what they'd find at any other store. Normal stores do similar tactics, of course, like putting things on endcaps and saying "SALE" in big letters even though the price is the same (or higher even!), but shit, man, at least you don't have to buy a fucking membership for them.

I mean, I was at the grocery store a few months back after getting a pretty good deal on a certain kind of soda. I think I paid about 2 dollars per 12 pack of 12 oz. cans. Well, I was checking the price to see if I should buy more and they had a tag on the shelf saying "NEW LOW PRICE!"... and they were priced at about 3 dollars per 12 pack. Bitch, I was just here last week, you can't trick me with that shit.
Old 10-4-2013, 05:41 AM   #38
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

idk about 'merika but costco here is significantly cheaper than per unit price in any grocery stores around.

And the meats are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better quality. Those whole roasted chickens are 8$ at Costco, and they put some sort of witchcraft spices on it that makes it amazing. That same size chicken is 10-12$ at superstore/sobeys. It's also worth noting Canada has a plague of stupidly high priced meats, especially fucking chicken. 13$ for two breasts when I can hop the border to Bangor and get the same thing for 5$

It's also a bit higher quality than the noname/my compliments brand (kirkland) but not by a huge amount. I actually end up saving more in the long run even though I'm buyng massive amounts of everything. Biggest issue is that I don't have a big enough freezer haha.

But it's true that their options are somewhat limited to what they have in stock.

Last edited by kommisar; 10-4-2013 at 05:44 AM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2013, 06:07 AM   #39
smartdude1212
2 is poo

Quote:
It's also worth noting Canada has a plague of stupidly high priced meats, especially fucking chicken. 13$ for two breasts when I can hop the border to Bangor and get the same thing for 5$
Oh my fucking word, this. I can get a package of four quality boneless, skinless chicken breasts here in Moscow for ~220 RUB/kg, which is approximately $7 CAD. I can get two suppers' worth of protein (plus next-day leftovers) out of the entire package. I just checked the online Safeway flyer for back home, and boneless, skinless chicken breasts are $17.61/kg (and it says club price, HA). What the crippling fuck?

But yeah, meat prices in Canada are overall ridiculous. The cheapest place I've found for chicken (besides Costco; I don't personally shop there, but my parents do) is Giant Tiger, although the chicken is of a noticeably lower quality (and thus I don't eat it).
Old 10-4-2013, 06:51 AM   #40
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I want Vector cereal Damn you, Canada
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote